Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jack Hinshelwood [9/4/24: new deal to 2028]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Surprised to hear that, especially from Warren.
Hinsh wasn’t an outlet for the defence. He had very little influence on the game.
He did about as well as you’d expect for a teenager in the development squad fringes. I’d bet half a dozen of the dev squad could have done similar.
That is fine, and it’s early days, but to suggest he was something special is a bit silly.
Assuming you were there you watched a completely differently game to me.
Other than influence on the game, which of course in a 1-6 you’d expect

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Assuming you were there you watched a completely differently game to me.
Other than influence on the game, which of course in a 1-6 you’d expect
I watched on TV which may make me a bad fan but doesn’t mean I can’t have an opinion on the game.

In the first half our defenders were panicking in possession. They were crying out for an outlet in midfield to play the short pass to. Hinsh lacked the knowhow to get in the right position to collect the ball. A previous poster called it hiding, I’d say he lacked the experience to know where to be. He was certainly intimidated.
Watch the game back (no, don’t) and it’s noticeable Dunk and Webster lost confidence in him.
That said It was a tough ask, everyone was crap etc etc sure.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I watched on TV which may make me a bad fan but doesn’t mean I can’t have an opinion on the game.

In the first half our defenders were panicking in possession. They were crying out for an outlet in midfield to play the short pass to. Hinsh lacked the knowhow to get in the right position to collect the ball. A previous poster called it hiding, I’d say he lacked the experience to know where to be. He was certainly intimidated.
Watch the game back (no, don’t) and it’s noticeable Dunk and Webster lost confidence in him.
That said It was a tough ask, everyone was crap etc etc sure.
Of course it doesn’t, different opinions make the site enjoyable. What it does mean though, (IMO), is that you don’t see the whole picture (no pun intended). Villa completely flooded the area we normally go to, and although both CBs drifted further out to create space centrally, Villa were comfortable with that.

Out of Gilmour and Hinshelwood, I would say say Hinshelwood was busting a gut to find an angle, whereas Gilmour was almost hiding, not sure if that came across.

I disagree re Dunk and Webster losing confidence. It really wasn’t like that at all. In the first half, the bigger issue as well as 2 vs 3, was the fact that once again both Welbeck and Ferguson were static, so the low driven pass was barely an option for Steele. He seemed to receive the ball a lot more in the second half than Gilmour, but then Villa dropped deeper.

I agree with Warren et al.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It wasn't Alzate away to Newcastle levels of a Premier League full debut but he did ok, and ok is a lot better than a majority of our players managed yesterday.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Of course it doesn’t, different opinions make the site enjoyable. What it does mean though, (IMO), is that you don’t see the whole picture (no pun intended). Villa completely flooded the area we normally go to, and although both CBs drifted further out to create space centrally, Villa were comfortable with that.

Out of Gilmour and Hinshelwood, I would say say Hinshelwood was busting a gut to find an angle, whereas Gilmour was almost hiding, not sure if that came across.

I disagree re Dunk and Webster losing confidence. It really wasn’t like that at all. In the first half, the bigger issue as well as 2 vs 3, was the fact that once again both Welbeck and Ferguson were static, so the low driven pass was barely an option for Steele. He seemed to receive the ball a lot more in the second half than Gilmour, but then Villa dropped deeper.

I agree with Warren et al.
Several times in the first half (when the damage was done) the defenders would have it under pressure, look up and neither of our cms were in a position to collect the ball.

Although that was partly because villa could reinforce the midfield space as our attackers didn’t hold it up, Solly and Mitoma were having dozy days and our defenders looked out of sorts from the get go.

Gilmour and Hinsh literally found themselves in the middle of it and were lambs to the slaughter really. Stick peak Bissouma in there and we still would have lost, although maybe not so easily.

But hey, this isn’t about bashing Hinsh. If nothing else it is brilliant having a Hinsh in the side. What a day for Adam, who was robbed of a high level career by injury imo.

I just objected to the idea he stood out from the Albion dross. for me he was part of it.

It is encouraging to hear you thought he had something about him, from the stands.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It wasn't Alzate away to Newcastle levels of a Premier League full debut but he did ok, and ok is a lot better than a majority of our players managed yesterday.
Interesting you should bring up Alzate. Proper shit decision to let him go out, if it was clear that we were short in CM (Baleba ‘not ready’, Moder comeback timeframe, etc)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Interesting you should bring up Alzate. Proper shit decision to let him go out, if it was clear that we were short in CM (Baleba ‘not ready’, Moder comeback timeframe, etc)

With hindsight yes but we probably didn’t expect injuries to Milner and Gross who are both normally fit more often than not and Dahoud has been disappointing too. We couldn’t have know Alzate would have got a lot of mins this season, which from what I’ve been told was one of the main factors in him wanting to go out on loan again. He didn’t want to just be a squad player and at his age now who can blame him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surprised to hear that, especially from Warren.
Hinsh wasn’t an outlet for the defence. He had very little influence on the game.
He did about as well as you’d expect for a teenager in the development squad fringes. I’d bet half a dozen of the dev squad could have done similar.
That is fine, and it’s early days, but to suggest he was something special is a bit silly.
They didn’t say he was special….merely a positive on a day of mostly negatives.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I don’t get the focus on JH, numerous senior players put on their clown shoes today and made goal conceding errors yet we highlight the young guy? No - groupthinking rubbish
Because it became apparent both Gilmour and Hinshelwood were naive and "slightly built" Baleba would have added some muscle .

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Didn’t hear his name once on on the TS commentary. Such a strange game to start him in though.

Have we just signed £27m worth of not ready for two seasons in Beleba ? because we are a club who really aren’t at that level yet and needed someone who can play.
Baleba who got an absolute whack on his ankle that should have been a red v Chelsea and went iff soon after and will be needed in Marseille ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Scuse me, while I kiss this guy!

(pucker up, ya b'stard!)
Dogs Reaction GIF

shibainu

Mar 9, 2023
Japan
Thought he did OK but he seems to be (understandably) not ready to start in the PL, especially in the midfield against Villa at the Villa Park... If he was to start it should've been against Chelsea in the cup game imo.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He was a little boy lost. Out of his depth. Too soon in his career. Hiding at times. Hard to watch. Painful at times.
He was a little boy lost. Out of his depth. Too soon in his career. Hiding at times. Hard to watch. Painful at times.
Hard disagree, thought he did okay and certainly no worse than Gilmour or even several senior players who were very poor on the day.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
With hindsight yes but we probably didn’t expect injuries to Milner and Gross who are both normally fit more often than not and Dahoud has been disappointing too. We couldn’t have know Alzate would have got a lot of mins this season, which from what I’ve been told was one of the main factors in him wanting to go out on loan again. He didn’t want to just be a squad player and at his age now who can blame him.
Although as it has turned out almost everyone is a squad player now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here