Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Harper - is it not going to happen?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Sorry, who out of those actually came up through the ranks here at BHA ?

I didn't know this point had a long list of terms and conditions !!

You just argued "we just don't DO strikers here. Never have." - Some strikers, admittedly not hundreds of em, in fact DO quite well here.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm sure I read somewhere he scored 8 goals in 15 DS appearances last season?

Maybe he's just had a bad pre season....could it be his first at a senior level and it's taken a bit out of him and they are bringing him along slowly?

The club is so so different from the old days when a player was just patched up and thrown on the pitch because we had no one else, there is so much thought given into the big picture now.

I hope he does make it, that goal shows he has the skill but does he have the graft and strength for higher football.....

Last season he made 22 appearances in the u23s (a few as sub) with 4 goals. His first appearance wasn't until October as he was injured when he joined us.
This year, so far, he's played twice (out of the four u23 League games) and played 20 odd minutes in the EFL trophy game as a sub.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-harper/leistungsdaten/spieler/147524/plus/0?saison=2015
He wasn't in the squad for West Brom which indicates he's either a) injured or b) completely out of favour. I guess the former is more likely.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not sure the club helped matters by leading with "ALBION SIGN REAL MADRID STRIKER".

Exactly. It was a real facepalm moment, when you consider the fact that he has never even come close to playing the 1st team at any level for RM, or anyone else.

I didn't know this point had a long list of terms and conditions !!

You just argued "we just don't DO strikers here. Never have." - Some strikers, admittedly not hundreds of em, in fact DO quite well here.

Well, I thought it was pretty clear we were on the subject of DS players on this thread. We can ALL name a bunch of strikers who have done well at the club, but not one of them could be described as "learning their trade" here or coming up through the ranks. They were all to some degree the finished product when we bought them from someone else.

Hence my statement - we just don't DO strikers here. We've never produced anyone of any note who has gone on to score goals at a decent level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed. SB.

PS: re: NSC keeping things in perspective. Last week you claimed that we had the worst front line in the entire Championship.
and? :lol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly. It was a real facepalm moment, when you consider the fact that he has never even come close to playing the 1st team at any level for RM, or anyone else.

Well, I thought it was pretty clear we were on the subject of DS players on this thread. We can ALL name a bunch of strikers who have done well at the club, but not one of them could be described as "learning their trade" here or coming up through the ranks. They were all to some degree the finished product when we bought them from someone else.

Hence my statement - we just don't DO strikers here. We've never produced anyone of any note who has gone on to score goals at a decent level.

You'd concede Peter Ward here though. Even if its admittedly 40 long years ago. Meets all of your criteria above.?

Was Glenn Murray the finished article when he joined us in 2008 ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder if the Massive are kicking themselves that they released Vardy who 10 years later played in the Prem, England, won the League, and now in the CL.
Some players do well when young but don't kick on, others are late developers.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I wonder if the Massive are kicking themselves that they released Vardy who 10 years later played in the Prem, England, won the League, and now in the CL.

Indeed. Another late developer Ian Wright.....

Who we turned down :facepalm:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think some of us focused on the wrong part of his 'The Scottish Messi' sobriquet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You'd concede Peter Ward here though. Even if its admittedly 40 long years ago. Meets all of your criteria above.?

Was Glenn Murray the finished article when he joined us in 2008 ?

No, Ward doesn't meet the criteria at all. He was 20 when he signed for us. Murray was 25! These weren't KIDS who came up through a youth team at BHAFC. Yes, they went on to do extremely well for us, but they were not products of BHA were they.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

always exceptions but generally if your going to do it then by 20 years old you are on the scene already.

I don't think he will make it. Not with us anyway.

Was well worth the risk but he just hasn't pushed on like we hoped.

I seem to recall when signed the plan was pushing for first team by xmas

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No, Ward doesn't meet the criteria at all. He was 20 when he signed for us. Murray was 25! These weren't KIDS who came up through a youth team at BHAFC. Yes, they went on to do extremely well for us, but they were not products of BHA were they.

Your game, your rules.

But development doesn't stop at 20.

And defining "products of BHA" is bloody difficult. Is Jack Harper, who arrived aged 18, a product of BHA or Real Madrid or ??

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Your game, your rules.

And defining "products of BHA" is bloody difficult. Is Jack Harper, who arrived aged 18, a product of BHA or Real Madrid or ??

We're talking about two different things. You're referring to strikers who we've brought in, who have gone straight into the 1st team and done well for us.

I'm talking about strikers who have either started out on our books as a youth player, or been brought in at a young-ish age (mid to late teens), played in the DS for a few years, and then progressed into the 1st team and done the business.

name me one of those.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Your game, your rules.

Indeed. SB is looking for a far too distinct definition.

Would anyone argue against Solly March as an Albion 'product'? Probably not - yet he joined the club at the same age that Rooney signed for Manchester United from Everton, and NOBODY would deem him a 'product' of United. Surely it's where the player develops that matters, rather than age at which they did so?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We're talking about two different things. You're referring to strikers who we've brought in, who have gone straight into the 1st team and done well for us.

I'm talking about strikers who have either started out on our books as a youth player, or been brought in at a young-ish age (mid to late teens), played in the DS for a few years, and then progressed into the 1st team and done the business.

name me one of those.

'Attacker' rather than out and out 'striker', but Solly March.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I've seen him a few times. Really quick feet, movement good but needs work, and definitely a threat, what may work against him and the main reason I'm on the fence is his size and the physicality of football at higher levels. Time is on his side.

Messi is small and lightweight. Seems to manage OK. Peter Ward looked like he could be blown over by a light breeze.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've seen him a few times. Really quick feet, movement good but needs work, and definitely a threat, what may work against him and the main reason I'm on the fence is his size and the physicality of football at higher levels. Time is on his side.

Messi is small and lightweight. Seems to manage OK. Peter Ward looked like he could be blown over by a light breeze.
One Teddy Maybank's post was about James Tilley, not Jack Harper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here