Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Harper - is it not going to happen?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The media and club built him up.
I'm not entirely sure they did, certainly not beyond what you would expect the club to say about a new promising (shirley they all are) signing.

If they did, well they only have themselves to blame.

He was 19 when he arrived, so he was pretty much already too old to be a teen sensation.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I only know about him coz Chris has mentioned him a couple of time and said how good he is...........Is he only 16 or 17 ?

Maybe 18/19. He's the same age as my son.

EDIT - 18 - just seen AZ Gull post. He's pretty much spot on with these things.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not entirely sure they did, certainly not beyond what you would expect the club to say about a new promising (shirley they all are) signing.

He was 19 when he arrived, so he was pretty much already too old to be a teen sensation.

There was a lot of 'the kid from Madrid' floating around.
This is the problem with a 'development squad' as some develop quicker than others, and some don't develop at all.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Only quoting these as I remember them quite well.
Quite a lot of build up/hype from both local media and club - not to mention other national press.

Albion confirm Harper deal - and it looks a real coup - The Argus
'Kid from Madrid' makes Albion debut at last - The Argus
HARPER'S MIX OF FLAIR AND GRIT - Seagulls
ALBION SIGN REAL MADRID STRIKER - Seagulls

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I suppose there were warning signs when he was ditched by scotland under-21s. Ah well. By the sounds of it he has a great future with Albion......rovers

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I suppose there were warning signs when he was ditched by scotland under-21s for being a luxury player. In hindsight Some inserting quotes in the argus piece linked to above

Ah well. By the sounds of it he has a great future with Albion......rovers

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Im with others, i think he would have gone pretty much un noticed if it wasnt for the media hype. It was just the Argus and club hyping up the signing, there were articles in the national press too.

Wasnt he also given his own seat at the Nando's on the Goldstone site?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm just a old romantic but anybody who can do this without falling over and hitting the corner flag deserves a little investment of time no matter who they did it against .

[yt]UQmC25_K0os[/yt]

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The present crop of under 21s are not rushing through the first team doors. I guess managers including CH,just cannot afford the risk,hence they end up either lower or non league or permeantly on loan.They just it seems are not enough,even if you are from Madrid.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The present crop of under 21s are not rushing through the first team doors.

Rob Hunt has been in the first team squad for our last 3 league matches and no doubt will start v Reading on Tuesday as he has for the previous 2 EFL cup matches.

Ben White, Sam Adekugbe, Tom Cadman, James Tilley have also all appeared in the League Cup squads.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So after unrealistically building the kid up before he's kicked a ball, we're now knocking him down before he's kicked a ball.

Stay classy NSC.

Agreed. SB.

PS: re: NSC keeping things in perspective. Last week you claimed that we had the worst front line in the entire Championship.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The raptures from some on here when he signed was truly something to behold. Ridiculously overhyped.

We should know by now, we just don't DO strikers here. Never have.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The raptures from some on here when he signed was truly something to behold. Ridiculously overhyped.

This needs to change and must be a priority of the new academy to find and bring through a young striker to the first team squad.
The club could also look at appointing a striker coach which many other clubs have. And I don't know, but has the club got a scout specifically to look for strikers?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Apart from Ulloa who we turned from a £2m 2nd tier striker into an £8m premier league striker.
And Murray who we turned from a promising striker from Rochdale into er, a 30 goal a season Championship / Premier League striker.
And Hemed who we signed for £1m ish - yet scored 17 goals in a single season in the Champ..

Peter Ward wasn't bad too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Apart from Ulloa who we turned from a £2m 2nd tier striker into an £8m premier league striker.
And Murray who we turned from a promising striker from Rochdale into er, a 30 goal a season Championship / Premier League striker.
And Hemed who we signed for £1m ish - yet scored 17 goals in a single season in the Champ..

Peter Ward wasn't bad too.

Sorry, who out of those actually came up through the ranks here at BHA ?

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
I'm sure I read somewhere he scored 8 goals in 15 DS appearances last season?

Maybe he's just had a bad pre season....could it be his first at a senior level and it's taken a bit out of him and they are bringing him along slowly?

The club is so so different from the old days when a player was just patched up and thrown on the pitch because we had no one else, there is so much thought given into the big picture now.

I hope he does make it, that goal shows he has the skill but does he have the graft and strength for higher football.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here