Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jacinda Arden

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The TV presenter that kept asking another question while Ardern was still speaking? You guys are lucky to have her, she is not perfect, but looking around the English speaking world, she stands out as having more balls, intelligence, and class than any other current PM or President.

I couldn’t disagree more.

She’s taken the populist line and is now completely stuck. To compare NZ to Western Europe makes no sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I couldn’t disagree more.

She’s taken the populist line and is now completely stuck. To compare NZ to Western Europe makes no sense to me.

She is having the same problem every where else is, a significant number of fact deniers, anti-vaxxers and people fed up of being restricted. What she isn't doing is pandering to them as some have, and is following medical and public health advice on keeping the numbers low.
Surely the populist line is to remove all restrictions if that is what is making her popularity fall?
I don't see how she is stuck, she has stuck to her principles, and more Kiwis still breathing and not suffering long term ill health. I honestly believe she would sacrifice her job before her principles and the health of her country, I can't say that about anyone else in power.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
She is having the same problem every where else is, a significant number of fact deniers, anti-vaxxers and people fed up of being restricted. What she isn't doing is pandering to them as some have, and is following medical and public health advice on keeping the numbers low.
Surely the populist line is to remove all restrictions if that is what is making her popularity fall?
I don't see how she is stuck, she has stuck to her principles, and more Kiwis still breathing and not suffering long term ill health. I honestly believe she would sacrifice her job before her principles and the health of her country, I can't say that about anyone else in power.

And how do you think she’d have got on running a country in Western Europe? It was populist when it was easy to be. That’s what I’m saying - it isn’t now….

Her policies just wouldn’t have worked.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
But not fully until October 2022. Anyone still wanting to travel their before then will still have to self isolate upon arrival.

Step 2 — From 11:59pm 13 March 2022
The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand from anywhere in the world and self-isolate upon arrival:

New Zealand citizens and residents
Other eligible travellers under current border settings.
Skilled workers earning at least 1.5x the median wage.
Travellers on a working holiday scheme.
Partners and dependent children of New Zealand citizens and residents, provided they meet the usual visa and vaccination requirements. A family group does not need to travel to New Zealand together.
Unvaccinated New Zealand citizens, and those who do not meet New Zealand’s vaccination requirements for self-isolation, who are eligible to enter New Zealand will continue to enter managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ).

Step 3 — From 11:59pm 12 April 2022
The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand from anywhere in the world and self-isolate upon arrival:

Current temporary work and student visa holders with a valid visa who can still meet their visa requirements — this includes both visa holders currently offshore, and those in New Zealand who choose to travel overseas and wish to return.
Up to 5,000 international students for semester 2

Step 4 — From July 2022
The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand and self-isolate upon arrival:

All travellers from Australia.
Visitors from countries who do not need a visa (visa waiver visitors).
Visitors from other countries who already hold a valid visitor visa.
Travellers arriving under the Accredited Employer Work Visa categories.

Step 5 — From October 2022
All visa categories will reopen from October 2022, including visitor and student visas.
Sure, it's taking a little while to open up but that makes sense considering the position they are in.

I think she's played a blinder to be honest. 53 deaths in total is phenomenal, and they've managed to lead relatively normal lives over the last couple of years, with the odd lockdown here or there, but much more open than us.

I wish we had a leader who was upfront, straight talking, quick at making decisions, and not afraid to tell people when they are in the wrong

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And how do you think she’d have got on running a country in Western Europe? It was populist when it was easy to be. That’s what I’m saying - it isn’t now….

Just scratching my head now and wondering..... could she have out-performed Johnson when dealing with Covid ? Of course she would have ! On parties alone she would have won hands down.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

She would have got on a lot better than most, she would not have been able to take all the same measures here as there, but I am sure we would have had a functional track and trace, rather than a world beating fictional one, gone into first lockdown weeks sooner, and had more controls on incoming passengers to the uk.
I think we might be talking at odds with what "populist" means, it isn't just any policy that is popular.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The proof will be in the economy pudding, and I suspect it's going to taste real real bad.

I went to a customers house last month. The woman of the house is working from home because she has to look after her husband, who is almost bed ridden with breathing problems he now has from covid, he lives downstairs in the living room, cant get upstairs, apart from not having the breath, he had a leg amputated due to covid. Her mother also died just before Christmas, from covid, after moving house to be near her daughter so she could help with her son in laws care. Economically, she is somewhat ****ed, having lost the husbands income, and no prospect of him returning to work. This family will not be paying in anything like the taxes they would have done, if at all, his care will be at a cost to the NHS and social care, and probably will need benefits long term, perhaps till he dies, maybe 25 years from now.

I can't imagine this has happened to one New Zealand family, there will be thousands like this here, it's going to be much harder to build back better with amputees and long term covid sufferers.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ridiculous that anyone would not be double vaxed, considering what has happened around the world.

ridiculous that in this day and age fit , healthy people are being forced to have a jab and on the same hand i believe if you chose not to have it you forgo the right to hospital treatment if you become gravely ill from it ......people need a choice but those choices will have consequences , our bloke going on about reintroducing more restrictions now ffs and compulsory 3 rd jab.....he's lost the trust of a large section of the community.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
ridiculous that in this day and age fit , healthy people are being forced to have a jab and on the same hand i believe if you chose not to have it you forgo the right to hospital treatment if you become gravely ill from it ......people need a choice but those choices will have consequences , our bloke going on about reintroducing more restrictions now ffs and compulsory 3 rd jab.....he's lost the trust of a large section of the community.

I think you are missing the point of the vaccines, it gives the immune system of fit healthy people a heads up on what to watch out for, so they stay fit and healthy, and as much as anyone might say they will be happy to die without treatment, that won't stop them spreading it and allowing the virus to mutate more, and when it comes to it, no doctor is just going to ignore a patients needs just because they were too daft to get vaccinated.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think you are missing the point of the vaccines, it gives the immune system of fit healthy people a heads up on what to watch out for, so they stay fit and healthy, and as much as anyone might say they will be happy to die without treatment, that won't stop them spreading it and allowing the virus to mutate more, and when it comes to it, no doctor is just going to ignore a patients needs just because they were too daft to get vaccinated.

regardless of that 10-12% of the community don't want the vaccine for whatever reason , that's fair enough isn't it , what are we going to do hold them down and force them , tranquilliser darts , put it in their quinoa meal...??

i have a reasonably good medical education and live with 2 nurses so i have a grip , i was reluctant to have the jabs but i had them , now the goal posts have moved again , i have a mate here in Perth who managed to get out in November under the reasoning of visiting his sick father in Samui , he went from Samui to Singapore , from there to Egypt and Turkey , then to Portugal and Brazil , got covid in Samui and Sao Paulo , he is now quarantining back in a hotel in Perth after paying 1800 bucks for a one way flight from Brisbane , a flight that would normally cost about 300 bucks.

my wife and i have both lost parents over the last 2 years but neither of us were allowed "out" , the difference is my mate is a mining manager and was able to fly out of his mine straight to Sydney where the laws are different , even though he is clearly a Perth resident , one rule for one .......it's stuff like this that is pissing people off.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
regardless of that 10-12% of the community don't want the vaccine for whatever reason , that's fair enough isn't it , what are we going to do hold them down and force them , tranquilliser darts , put it in their quinoa meal...??

i have a reasonably good medical education and live with 2 nurses so i have a grip , i was reluctant to have the jabs but i had them , now the goal posts have moved again , i have a mate here in Perth who managed to get out in November under the reasoning of visiting his sick father in Samui , he went from Samui to Singapore , from there to Egypt and Turkey , then to Portugal and Brazil , got covid in Samui and Sao Paulo , he is now quarantining back in a hotel in Perth after paying 1800 bucks for a one way flight from Brisbane , a flight that would normally cost about 300 bucks.

my wife and i have both lost parents over the last 2 years but neither of us were allowed "out" , the difference is my mate is a mining manager and was able to fly out of his mine straight to Sydney where the laws are different , even though he is clearly a Perth resident , one rule for one .......it's stuff like this that is pissing people off.

Re your first paragraph….I think some would quite like this to happen…..if 88/90% are vaccinated then I’d say that’s some achievement

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I don't agree with mandatory vaccines for all either, but certain professions yes. Those that don't want to get jabbed should maybe have greater restrictions on their mixing, when rates of infection are high, just because they are more likely to have the virus, more likely to get the virus and get sick, and more likely to pass the virus on. There was talk here early on of regional lockdowns as the hot spots for the virus moved, but I think was rightly dismissed as being divisive, tougher to argue against though in a place as vast as Oz. And I don't dismiss the pain of lockdowns and restrictions, just to me, the only way to safely get out of them is for everyone to get vaxxed so I want everyone to have it so we can get back to something more like normal in the world.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
And I don't dismiss the pain of lockdowns and restrictions, just to me, the only way to safely get out of them is for everyone to get vaxxed so I want everyone to have it so we can get back to something more like normal in the world.

unfortunately with the people now at the top of the pyramid i don't think it will be another 100 years before the next virus comes along and we have to do it all again......time will tell.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Must be true, if Tarquin on a website called You Stupid Boy says his source is impeccable, and he says its true. No doubt.

Yeah your right, someone called Baldseagull posting on a football forum has to be taken seriously.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
She would have got on a lot better than most, she would not have been able to take all the same measures here as there, but I am sure we would have had a functional track and trace, rather than a world beating fictional one, gone into first lockdown weeks sooner, and had more controls on incoming passengers to the uk.
I think we might be talking at odds with what "populist" means, it isn't just any policy that is popular.

You have no evidence at all that would be the case.

Running a remote island on the other side of the world with a tiny population is a totally different thing to densely populated countries of 60m plus population with shared borders. The comparisons are nonsense.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You have no evidence at all that would be the case.

Running a remote island on the other side of the world with a tiny population is a totally different thing to densely populated countries of 60m plus population with shared borders. The comparisons are nonsense.

Ah but surely, she was only doing her best ? .... just got lucky I suppose ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here