Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Izquierdo - what’s going on?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Clowns on talk shite radio reviewed each team s performance over the season At one point talking about Welbz they inferred he was on £100K a week ?
Before someone says yes they talk as much bollox as the tabloids
Can someone confirm deny the wages ?

Not ITK either, but I believe the club operate a fairly strict wage policy, so I doubt his wage is £100k a week.
But as a free agent he would have been eligible for a signing on fee. which would probably have meant his annual earnings were at that sort of level.
Similar with Lallana.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Who says they haven't? He's out of contract in the summer and was a higher earner - I wouldn't be surprised if the decision has been made and it'll be announced as part of the regular retained/released list. No point individually announcing contract renewals, especially after the "Walton will be allowed to leave the club on a free" announcement about a week before we triggered the extra 1-year option.

This high earner bit amuses me. Allegedly he's on about 40k a week. If you think that's high earnings at PL level, then you've got a bit of a shock coming. Any replacement for Izqueirdo will cost a lot more than 40k a week. We WILL need to replace him.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Not ITK either, but I believe the club operate a fairly strict wage policy, so I doubt his wage is £100k a week.
But as a free agent he would have been eligible for a signing on fee. which would probably have meant his annual earnings were at that sort of level.
Similar with Lallana.
I read somewhere it was 95k for Lallana and about 75k for Welbz.
As you say, assume we got around our wage structure because this also includes a gradually paid signing on fee .
No real idea about all this kind of stuff though.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This high earner bit amuses me. Allegedly he's on about 40k a week. If you think that's high earnings at PL level, then you've got a bit of a shock coming. Any replacement for Izqueirdo will cost a lot more than 40k a week. We WILL need to replace him.

What a very odd post... I don't think it's a high earner at Premier League level, but it is a high earner for Brighton which is all that really matters given that whoever we sign will need to fit it our wage structure. That puts him about 6-10th in the salary department behind players who actually play football. Added to that, buying a replacement for a player who hasn't played for us in to years in a role we don't employ? Why on earth would we do that? Tau is already in the same position of being similar and never getting a game, Izquierdo isn't a patch on Trossard (his main rival) either.

As much as I did like him, he's not the kind of player that will get a look in and if he does go, that 40k a week will come in very handy indeed.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
What a very odd post... I don't think it's a high earner at Premier League level, but it is a high earner for Brighton which is all that really matters given that whoever we sign will need to fit it our wage structure. That puts him about 6-10th in the salary department behind players who actually play football. Added to that, buying a replacement for a player who hasn't played for us in to years in a role we don't employ? Why on earth would we do that? Tau is already in the same position of being similar and never getting a game, Izquierdo isn't a patch on Trossard (his main rival) either.

As much as I did like him, he's not the kind of player that will get a look in and if he does go, that 40k a week will come in very handy indeed.

A fit Izquierdo gets on the bench in every squad for us. We have barely any cover at LW or LF. Trossard has mainly been used on the right with Welbeck on the left. If it was a choice between selling Tau or giving Izquierdo another year, it's no contest but hey, different opinions and all that.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
People have rose tincted spectacles, apart from a few cameo performances and the odd great goal, he was not that effective the first time around.

Absolute nonsense (sorry to be blunt), he scored several important goals for us, he had a good number of assists as well. He also won us several penalties with his pace getting in behind.

In terms of impact on our first season only Gross and Murray had a bigger impact going forward.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd like to see him given a new deal... but the club have all his medical reports and I don't.

I wouldn't be surprised if he moves to USG I suppose or at least is given that option.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Only the player and the club really know the state of his knee and what effect that has had on the player physically. Given he looks a significant way from a 1st team starter now my money would be on no new contract or at the very least one on reduced terms. Professional football can be cruel at times. We need to reduce the size of the squad and we need scarce resources for a new striker option I just cannot see us taking the chance on Izzy right now...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
People have rose tincted spectacles, apart from a few cameo performances and the odd great goal, he was not that effective the first time around.

Yeh, not the most sophisticated player in the world, but did seem to make things happen. That was then though.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'd be very surprised if this was adios with our best wishes Jose.

Three years out injured on a 4 year deal. You need good evidence that he's fit to give him any sort of contract under those circumstances.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

He has/had electrifying pace. Something we have lacked all the time we have been in the Premier League.
He genuinely terrified defences and gave them something to think about.

Admittedly his shooting was as likely to hit the corner flag as the top corner. but when we played to his strengths, he was superb.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Clowns on talk shite radio reviewed each team s performance over the season At one point talking about Welbz they inferred he was on £100K a week ?
Before someone says yes they talk as much bollox as the tabloids
Can someone confirm deny the wages ?

I'd imagine there's no one on here who knows the wages of any players with any level of accuracy. That being said, I'd be AMAZED if we were paying him anywhere close to that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if Chris Hughton fancies pairing his former signing Izquierdo with Knockaert?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not in the know but probably close to the figure quoted

It has been mooted that to get around the consequences of a massive salary, he would have been given a handsome signing on fee, with his actual weekly brown envelope no fatter than the other first teamers'.

But as others have said, none of us are in the know (except maybe a certain Dullard who can probably extrapolate the salary from some sort of x£ spreadsheet of his cunning devising).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here