Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Izquierdo - what’s going on?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If he can make a positive contribution over the next 5 games, and perghaps pre season I don't see whay he wopuldn't get some offer for another season. he must have cost the club a fortune by now so we should at least try and recoup something!

I havent a clue on how these things work, but I assume the club would have some form of insurance policy against longer term injuries and salary/expense?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Is it?

I dont think so at all, a very good player in Belgium and good player for Albion in the PL who has the ability to score worldies and a full Colombia International........

Recovered from a long term injury and available on a free, you think nobody is going to sign him if he can pass a medical?

He'll have plenty of suitors

Yeah this!

Naylor reporting Brugge are interested in taking him back.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ferran Soriano CEO of Man City actually wrote a book called 'Goal' based on his philosophy of performance related pay that he started while finance director of Barca. Barca are still said to employ his 2/3rds salary, 1/3rd bonuses, and that continues at ManCity. I think many PL clubs follow similar models, and as you say feature squad wide achievement bonuses. I don't think it would be unusual to have someone like Izzy, long term injured and potentially a risk on a low salary heavily weight to appearance bonuses.

Just my opinion like.

Most players just wouldn't sign contracts like that - I think Andy Carroll signed something along those lines at Newcastle but that was because he wanted to go back to Newcastle.

I don't think I have seen one contract in the last say 10 years where players got Bonuses for individual wins or goals scored

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah this!

Naylor reporting Brugge are interested in taking him back.

Would be nuts to let him walk if he's fit imho.

He's better than Connolly, Zeqiri and whilst different type of player, he's as good as any of our other front players and he can turn a match with his skill and pace......

I for one never thought Izzy was over priced for what we paid for him, as a player and purely on ability, we got him for a good price, which you cant say about Ali J or Locadia etc.

And all it will cost to keep him, is wages. Where else could you get a player as good as Izzy, effectively on a free?

I love the idea of Solly and Izzy on the left with Lamptey on the right, devastating down the sides and Izzy has the ability to hit the onion bag from anywhere in a team that struggles to score.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would be dismayed if Izzy leaves, and angry if he leaves and the Iranian stays.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would be dismayed if Izzy leaves, and angry if he leaves and the Iranian stays.
Yes but for Izzy to leave we just don't renew his contract.

For Alireza to leave someone has to want to sign him and pay his high wages - he's pretty much the hardest player we have to get off our books this summer.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I expect it all depends on whether he’s happy to accept a reduced contract? Would imagine we might be looking at a c-30/40% reduction and it’s possible Bruges might be able to gazump us?

Anyone aware of any truth about a clause on the deal with them around a supposed $5m payment if he plays any more games? [Sorry if referenced elsewhere…]

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It was lovely to see him back on the pitch. The only real positive of the Sheff Utd game.

Realistically I don't know how much of a future he has with us, two years out is a long time, how often do players come back from that length of injury at the same level they were before it? That said if he can get close to his old levels then surely we'd give him a contract for another year. As has been said he's better than a lot of our current attacking options so it would be silly not to.

Either way, it's good to see him back on the pitch and smiling. He's an infectiously bubbly personality like Bissouma.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes but for Izzy to leave we just don't renew his contract.

For Alireza to leave someone has to want to sign him and pay his high wages - he's pretty much the hardest player we have to get off our books this summer.

Nah, Locadia is harder, Ali J will do OK at a level below the PL, he'd be great for us if we went down,

Locadia is just utter Shit, a total waste of space and the biggest recruitment fail I can remember based on fee, rumoured wage and length of contract.

No one is gonna offer that waste of space a permanent deal

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nah, Locadia is harder, Ali J will do OK at a level below the PL, he'd be great for us if we went down,

Locadia is just utter Shit, a total waste of space and the biggest recruitment fail I can remember based on fee, rumoured wage and length of contract.

No one is gonna offer that waste of space a permanent deal
At least Locadia is already in a loan to buy situation - although that may not be a 100% commitment to buy, not sure of the legal specifics - and maybe the price won't be great.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Most players just wouldn't sign contracts like that - I think Andy Carroll signed something along those lines at Newcastle but that was because he wanted to go back to Newcastle.

I don't think I have seen one contract in the last say 10 years where players got Bonuses for individual wins or goals scored

Exactly why I qualified my first post if he doesn't get any better offers. I wouldn't just let him go if we could keep him on favourable terms - which was what I was trying to say.

Do you get to see a lot of contracts then? You may know a lot more than me. :):whistle:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Is it?

I dont think so at all, a very good player in Belgium and good player for Albion in the PL who has the ability to score worldies and a full Colombia International........

Recovered from a long term injury and available on a free, you think nobody is going to sign him if he can pass a medical?

He'll have plenty of suitors

Massive if.

Not sure we should have players in the squad who can only do cameos.

We should monitor the situation for the rest of the season

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Would be nuts to let him walk if he's fit imho.

He's better than Connolly, Zeqiri and whilst different type of player, he's as good as any of our other front players and he can turn a match with his skill and pace......

I for one never thought Izzy was over priced for what we paid for him, as a player and purely on ability, we got him for a good price, which you cant say about Ali J or Locadia etc.

And all it will cost to keep him, is wages. Where else could you get a player as good as Izzy, effectively on a free?

I love the idea of Solly and Izzy on the left with Lamptey on the right, devastating down the sides and Izzy has the ability to hit the onion bag from anywhere in a team that struggles to score.

But after the season ends he's not our player. It's not a case of letting him walk. He can choose from any options he's been given.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
But after the season ends he's not our player. It's not a case of letting him walk. He can choose from any options he's been given.

I think what [MENTION=15046]peterward[/MENTION] is saying, is put an offer to him that doesn't just let him walk without an option to stay. If we don't even put something to him as an option, then we've let him walk right without that choice - but I get your point, we can't stop him if he chooses to.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Exactly why I qualified my first post if he doesn't get any better offers. I wouldn't just let him go if we could keep him on favourable terms - which was what I was trying to say.

Do you get to see a lot of contracts then? You may know a lot more than me. :):whistle:

Yes I agree - I would like to see Izquierdo be successful again but I don't think he fits the system the current Manager prefers to play - he is really chirpy bloke. I only ever met him once which was after the FA Cup Semi final but he came across as a very likeable guy.

I review more Contracts within Music and Media industries these days but I might see about 30 or so contracts annually in Football Industry.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think what [MENTION=15046]peterward[/MENTION] is saying, is put an offer to him that doesn't just let him walk without an option to stay. If we don't even put something to him as an option, then we've let him walk right without that choice - but I get your point, we can't stop him if he chooses to.

exactly this. Do the option now

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Players definitely still get win bonuses. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here