Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ivan toney going to be in trouble - BANNED for 8 months to 17th Jan 2024

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And BOTH wrists slapped, you reckon...? 😬
Good job he doesn’t play for Newcastle; it’ll be a hell of lot more than just slapped.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I await @Harry Wilson's tackle likening this to the sad tale of Peter Swan.
Ah, the sad case of Peter Swan. Like Toney, he was an impoverished journeyman player, on the fringes of the England squad, on minimum wage, and willing to take a shilling so that his dear old mam could buy half a pound of mutton and ten Player's Weights.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If one of his bets was that he wouldn't make the England squad, he'll have the last laugh.
And just imagine if he had a not make the World Cup banned for 6 months acca.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Joey 'renaissance man' Barton got an 18 month ban ... but the authorities might have been extra hard on him because he's such an objectionable C word.

I seem to remember he regularly placed bets against the team he was playing for when he didn't get in the starting XI.

Arsehole.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Probably alerted to the investigation at that time, so stopped then (or carried on if he’s even more stupid than this makes him look, but the charge is only in relation to the period under investigation)

I guess posters like this aren’t clear enough

View attachment 153747
Ah come on now. That poster could mean anything!

I'm sure a little bet here or there wouldn't do any harm...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
With the rules the way they are for players, it's surprising that Tony Bloom and Matthew Benham are allowed to own football clubs.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Does stupidly giving penalties away count?
As far back as Kerry Mayo’s testimonial golf day in 2005, guest speaker Matt Le Tissier revealed about how a Southampton player betting ring used to regularly get paid out on the first throw in market by immediately putting the ball out from the kick off. It caused a bit of a stir when he put it in print in his autobiography years later, but it appeared to get forgotten nearly as quickly.
Toney cannot say he hasn’t been warned, there is compulsory literature on display in dressing rooms and training grounds right across the football pyramid, right from Isthmian level you cannot bet on any FA competitions, and that includes players, managers and coaches.
He’s clearly been grassed up, so are there any others in the mix?

Didn’t Whitehawk get embroiled in a betting issue when the were in the National League South?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As far back as Kerry Mayo’s testimonial golf day in 2005, guest speaker Matt Le Tissier revealed about how a Southampton player betting ring used to regularly get paid out on the first throw in market by immediately putting the ball out from the kick off. It caused a bit of a stir when he put it in print in his autobiography years later, but it appeared to get forgotten nearly as quickly.
Toney cannot say he hasn’t been warned, there is compulsory literature on display in dressing rooms and training grounds right across the football pyramid, right from Isthmian level you cannot bet on any FA competitions, and that includes players, managers and coaches.

Didn’t Whitehawk get embroiled in a betting issue when the were in the National League South?
Might not have been grassed up, simply caught by the surveillance undertaken by the betting companies.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I heard at the time that someone involved in the club were betting on themselves to win games and get promoted and that's what was funding them. But it sounded a bit BS

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Might not have been grassed up, simply caught by the surveillance undertaken by the betting companies.
Almost laughable that the betting companies do this when it suits them, when I was in Rehab I palled up with a gent who had lost £900,000 to gambling in a 12 month period, and with it his business, his home and his family. When things were going well the betting company, a household name, used to take him to all the major race meetings, sometimes by helicopter, effectively feeding his addiction.
Imagine Smirnoff putting PR girls outside AA meetings handing out miniatures?
The gambling industry causes as much grief and heartache as both drugs and drink.

Thankfully 28 months on my friend, is building bridges with his wife and family, hasn’t had a bet and is part of the local Gamblers Anonymous community.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I heard at the time that someone involved in the club were betting on themselves to win games and get promoted and that's what was funding them. But it sounded a bit BS
No the club were self financed by a large local company, there was nothing untoward there, apparently as they climbed the football pyramid they signed players from outside the area, who it was alleged were themselves betting on matches which is illegal.

As it’s the same boardroom regime at Whitehawk now, it clearly wasn’t them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here