[Football] Ivan toney going to be in trouble - BANNED for 8 months to 17th Jan 2024

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Might not have been grassed up, simply caught by the surveillance undertaken by the betting companies.
I know Starlizard are a big player in this with their 'integrity services' arm but I wonder if Benham has similar. A potentially interesting twist. Or it could be totally irrelevant.

Will be fascinating to see what the charges are, on that 'conspiracy' tweet shared earlier in the thread there is a video of Tony getting carded in the last game of the period he's been charged for. Fair to say it doesn't look great.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
With the rules the way they are for players, it's surprising that Tony Bloom and Matthew Benham are allowed to own football clubs.

Why? Bloom’s & Benham’s advantage is that they have built extremely sophisticated big sporting data analytics companies. They don’t kick a ball for their respective clubs.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Why? Bloom’s & Benham’s advantage is that they have built extremely sophisticated big sporting data analytics companies. They don’t kick a ball for their respective clubs.
The rules cover club staff as well as players. A chairman could easily persuade a player with a nice little bonus to help a bet come in if he so wished.

Obviously Bloom knows the rules and won't jeopodise the club by breaking them. I'm sure he's incredibly careful around compliance in that respect.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
With the rules the way they are for players, it's surprising that Tony Bloom and Matthew Benham are allowed to own football clubs.
it’s why Tony isn’t ‘officially’ involved with Star Lizard anymore. Although not sure how the owners of Stoke / bet365 get round it

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No the club were self financed by a large local company, there was nothing untoward there, apparently as they climbed the football pyramid they signed players from outside the area, who it was alleged were themselves betting on matches which is illegal.

As it’s the same boardroom regime at Whitehawk now, it clearly wasn’t them.
It wasn't alleged, Michael Boateng went to prison.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Sure but unless I read things wrong, footballers are banned from betting on games they aren't competing in.
Implying they have the ability to influence events just by working within the industry.
I would imagine Tony Bloom has far more influence in World football than Ivan Toney does.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can’t blame Southgate for not taking him, clearly given the heads up.

When do we think he will claim it’s a mental health issue to try and get off?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Sure but unless I read things wrong, footballers are banned from betting on games they aren't competing in.
Implying they have the ability to influence events just by working within the industry.
I would imagine Tony Bloom has far more influence in World football than Ivan Toney does.

Bloom has more data on football than (probably) any other individual/group on the planet. He uses that data in a multiplicity of sports to get a marginal gain for his syndicate. That data drives and influences the Albion’s recruitment. As soon as the narrative of ‘influencing’ events is included, that’s just criminality. In Ivan Toney’s case you’d have to undeniably know if he could have influenced the outcome of his bets. Shouldn’t be too hard to correlate wager and behaviour with outcome.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I should think the severity of sentence will depend on where bets were placed rather than number off. He has played for many clubs so will take a lot of looking into. Interesting how these things come to light. Assume was stitched up or bookmakers alert FA. If its latter why dont disclose straight away.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Might not have been grassed up, simply caught by the surveillance undertaken by the betting companies.

The sensible ones get someone else to put them bets on for them. If the 3rd party was caught I'd expect it to be more than Toney in trouble which would suggest he has probably been betting in his own name.

The interesting thing when Joey Barton was caught he was only betting small amounts (fivers / tenners). No idea on Toney but it's not a slam dunk he is pissing away 50K a week on Liverpool beating Leeds at home.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I should think the severity of sentence will depend on where bets were placed rather than number off. He has played for many clubs so will take a lot of looking into. Interesting how these things come to light. Assume was stitched up or bookmakers alert FA. If its latter why dont disclose straight away.
Would make absolute sense that a bookmaker alerted the FA, Bookmakers ban people all the time when they win excessively and think they have an unfair, corruption or insider information.

Fool if he set it up an account in his own name and placed bets on games he was involved in, surprising this was not brought to the attention of the FA sooner actually.

IF guilty deserves minimum the rest of the season out.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Or if a third party suddenly betting larger amounts money laundering checks kick in as to where the funds have come from

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
He clearly has a gambling problem but why not heed the warnings? There is a cornucopia of other things you can bet on.

He could do a lot worse than have a chat with Tony Adams. His foundation has specific help for pro sportspersons with gambling addictions

Obviously he'll spin it that way to make out he is the victim here but having a bet a week doesn't mean you've got a gambling problem.

Strikes me that he's an arrogant footballer who thought he wouldn't get caught.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It doesn't sound like enough bets to be considered an addiction or a problem but that's difficult to quantify without knowing the amount involved. If proven, seems like a very stupid thing to do.

If found guilty, I'd be surprised to see him playing again this season. A shame as he has an amazing scoring record since at Peterborough (pretty poor before then) and Brentford.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It doesn't sound like enough bets to be considered an addiction or a problem but that's difficult to quantify without knowing the amount involved. If proven, seems like a very stupid thing to do.

If found guilty, I'd be surprised to see him playing again this season. A shame as he has an amazing scoring record since at Peterborough (pretty poor before then) and Brentford.

It does sound very close to the number of games he would have played in, during that period though.
Which I would imagine is the concern.

If he's bet on Brentford to win or himself to score at any point, then he's just been stupid and will get a month or two ban.
But if he's been doing any unusual bets, which have come in. he can probably kiss goodbye to his career.

He didn't look too worried on Saturday, so I'm going with the Stupid option.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Obviously he'll spin it that way to make out he is the victim here but having a bet a week doesn't mean you've got a gambling problem.

Strikes me that he's an arrogant footballer who thought he wouldn't get caught.
You could be right (and indeed arrogance could well be a factor), but if he still felt the need to bet despite the wide publicity across the game that you must not gamble on football, that suggests he may well have a problem. We know how many football bets he has had but not how many bets on sports that don't carry an embargo.

Hopefully the investigation will reveal if any of the bets were on games where he could influence the result of his bet (eg if he bet on himself or one of his team to get a red card when he got a red card). If he did, he should never be allowed to play again. If his bets were on Scottish first division correct score accumulators, his penalty should be minimal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports