Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ivan Toney: clever or cheating?

Ivan Toney moving the ball is...

• Clever

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Cheating

Votes: 215 81.4%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t see anything wrong with it. Is it against the laws of the game ? Regardless, not his fault the defender jumps out of the way. Toney is a brilliant player and showed it in that game.
Dunk had a good goal disallowed from a free kick because the referee said the keeper wasn't ready. Is that in the laws of the game?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheating. But he probably had a bet riding on himself scoring, so quelle surprise.

Don't much like him to be honest. He's played the victim card over the past year because of his justified ban and the hero's welcome he's recevied upon his return by Brentford (Understandable to some extent) and the media (vomit inducing sychophancy) is very disappointing. He has made himself look like he barely has two brain cells to rub togehter with his interviews and has now advertised himself as a blatant cheat on the field as well as off it. I suppose we're supposed to cheer for the chancer when gormless Southgate eventually puts an England shirt on him again.

Not for me.
Perfect summary. The ‘hero returns’ narrative across the media is sickening.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's a matter of a handful of inches he moves it - nothing compared to many free kicks or even throw ins. And besides, if the defender on the right end of the wall had actually stood his ground rather than jump further into the wall the ball wouldn't have even got to the goal. Much ado about nothing IMHO.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Perfect summary. The ‘hero returns’ narrative across the media is sickening.
The amount of betting around football (and sport in general) is staggering (admittedly as someone who never gambles). Not just the act of being itself, but the tv and radio advertising, sponsorship of features in the media, and features about it (and the bets to make), typically on TalkShite.

Therefore I think what Toney did has been normalised - especially on Sky, which (funnily enough) has its own gambling company. In reality, I see it as a potentially huge problem - and no amount of 'be gamble aware' mentions or adverts about how to take a break from gambling is going to help.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If players are allowed to do that, it'll become a tactic.

Quick! Nick a bit of the refs foam and draw a line over there!
There was an instance a few months ago where Trippier was disagreeing with the ref about where the ball should be and, once the ref had walked away he picked up the ball of foam the ref had sprayed and moved it to where he wanted.
arrogant little £@#&!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have no idea about that either. I don’t study the ever changing landscape of football rules. If you go down the ‘whatabout’ route though I do know you will be very resentful.
It was a rhetorical question.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No doubt all clubs are now changing their set piece training/tactics to include moving the foam to gain an advantage.

And defenders will now break from the wall to confront the free kicker taker so that the ref gets involved rather than ignoring the foam moving.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I think it is fine, if they want it played from a specific spot the refs can mark the spot

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's a matter of a handful of inches he moves it - nothing compared to many free kicks or even throw ins. And besides, if the defender on the right end of the wall had actually stood his ground rather than jump further into the wall the ball wouldn't have even got to the goal. Much ado about nothing IMHO.
Yep.

The thread needs to be retitled "How much do you hate Ivan Toney?"

In order to work up a good head of vituperation, I recommend reading the virtual back pages of the Sun and Mail who are apparently fawning all over Toney.

Unfortunately the BBC won't help anyone trying to build a Cathedral of Hate, with it's dull skepticism...

1705829947482.png

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
If it had happened to be one of our players doing it I'd be more than happy to take the 3 points it contributed toward,so am I saying I'm ok with our player cheating? Not really no, but to my mind he's used the total confusion of modern day football and used it to his team's advantage,the law is clear,he broke the law but the person/people in charge on the day yet again failed in their duties to uphold the laws they're employed for,I have no doubt VAR didn't even see it until someone pointed it out to them.
Anyway in answer to the question I'd go with it's clever cheating.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Classic, moving the goal-posts.

It's cheating, but clever if you get away with it.

The blame should sit with whoever it was on the right end of the wall who wasn't joined up with the wall. Left a gap and Toney exploited.

Bottom line, poor defending.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I suppose it depends what you mean by a 'handful of inches'. He moves it at least a ball's width the first time - and then another balls width the second time. That's around 20" - almost two feet. Big handfuls! And I think, as many have mentioned on here, moving the foam to 'pretend' he hadn't moved the ball is what is the real cheating bit.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If it had happened to be one of our players doing it I'd be more than happy to take the 3 points it contributed toward,so am I saying I'm ok with our player cheating? Not really no, but to my mind he's used the total confusion of modern day football and used it to his team's advantage,the law is clear,he broke the law but the person/people in charge on the day yet again failed in their duties to uphold the laws they're employed for,I have no doubt VAR didn't even see it until someone pointed it out to them.
Anyway in answer to the question I'd go with it's clever cheating.
There isn’t a new amount of confusion in modern football other than that nowadays everyone has an opinion about everything. In the old days the ref would have decided what to do and the only discussion of it would have been by Brentford and Forest fans.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Let’s watch tomorrow to see how many times a Brighton players keeps walking down the touchline to gain yards from a throw in. Or throws the ball forwards a bit for a free kick 🙄

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here