Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Albion] Ivan Toney: clever or cheating?

Ivan Toney moving the ball is...

• Clever

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Cheating

Votes: 215 81.4%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Couple of reasons

1. VAR doesn't cover the positioning of a free kick
2. VAR doesn't cover restarts

Do you want to be in the stadium for 5 hours? šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Really? The VAR wording I have seen suggests this could be covered? I will get back to this after the game.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Where in the laws does it say this?
The Spurs V Chelsea game when Romero got sent off (awful challenge) Sterling dived in the build up, as the pen wasn't given they couldn't go back to it as it wasn't covered, so was ignored as part of the VAR review.

That explanation was from Webb

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The ref had his back to Toney whilst sorting out the wall

Couldn't see the lino and what he was doing

It's not in the VAR rules to point it out either.

Unless he has eyes in the back of his head, im not sure what you want the ref to do?
Use the eys in the front and pay attention to the game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Spurs V Chelsea game when Romero got sent off (awful challenge) Sterling dived in the build up, as the pen wasn't given they couldn't go back to it as it wasn't covered, so was ignored as part of the VAR review.

That explanation was from Webb

What incidents does the VAR check?​

VAR will be used only for ā€œclear and obvious errorsā€ or ā€œserious missed incidentsā€ in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

From what point does the VAR check incidents leading to a penalty or goal?​

The VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that led to the penalty or goal.

The starting point will be limited to the immediate phase. The VAR may not go back to when the attacking team gained possession.

Iā€™d like to see the exact words Webb used. I presume it was deemed either not a ā€œserious missed incidentā€ or not in the possession phase.

Going back to the Toney incident. Iā€™d interpret these rules as it was a ā€œserious missed incidentā€ in a ā€œmatch changing situationā€ i.e. a goal. This is clear. Where isnā€™t clear is what the ā€œattacking possession phaseā€ is. Does the attacking possession phase include getting ready for a free kick?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

What incidents does the VAR check?​

VAR will be used only for ā€œclear and obvious errorsā€ or ā€œserious missed incidentsā€ in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

From what point does the VAR check incidents leading to a penalty or goal?​

The VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that led to the penalty or goal.

The starting point will be limited to the immediate phase. The VAR may not go back to when the attacking team gained possession.

Iā€™d like to see the exact words Webb used. I presume it was deemed either not a ā€œserious missed incidentā€ or not in the possession phase.

Going back to the Toney incident. Iā€™d interpret these rules as it was a ā€œserious missed incidentā€ in a ā€œmatch changing situationā€ i.e. a goal. This is clear. Where isnā€™t clear is what the ā€œattacking possession phaseā€ is. Does the attacking possession phase include getting ready for a free kick?

The dive was was about 10-15 seconds before the foul/red card, im not defending the tackle btw.

Here's the incident the web explanation was elsewhere.

There was another on Saturday in Arsenal game when Jesus dived and they couldn't go back, not that it mattered!

The positioning of the ball sticks with the on-field ref.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The dive was was about 10-15 seconds before the foul/red card, im not defending the tackle btw.

Here's the incident the web explanation was elsewhere.

There was another on Saturday in Arsenal game when Jesus dived and they couldn't go back, not that it mattered!

The positioning of the ball sticks with the on-field ref.

You've answered your own point. The ifab explanation (as i gave earlier) is the passage of play leading to a goal. That wasnt the case in either of the examples you give.

Dermot Gallagher has given the game away on sky earlier. He was waffling about cant be expected to have the exact blade of grass. If it was a clear cut as you have made out, then he would have said so.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Athletic investigating the issues we all want to know

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here