Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] It’s too hot to work

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Rode along the coast road and it genuinely felt like I was sitting in front of a fan heater.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm acclimatising reasonably well, but after 20 minutes in a supermarket, walking outside was like being hit with a massive hot air gun. Reminded me of a posh hotel in southern India some years back, they kept the whole place about 15 degrees below ambient.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've been on the beech all afternoon, and I've finally had to give up as it was just too hot.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Time to introduce a legally binding maximum workplace temperature shirley?

This was discussed years back, impossible due to the fact that blast furnaces and smelting works would have to close ( most have thanks to Chinese imports , I know ) and no one would legally be able to work in a restaurant kitchen either.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've been on the beech all afternoon, and I've finally had to give up as it was just too hot.

How about moving on to a vodka and LIME ? Beech is nuts really, Alder other guys swear by it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Working from home (in the garden) today - I think the trouble with being in an air conditioned office all day is it's even harder to sleep at night. Fingers crossed for some storms later to cool it down a bit.

Looks like some thin streamers of rain heading North, not much though.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I'm sat in my office at home in Burgess Hill...........and yes, it is.

View attachment 113377
They said on the radio that Cambridge was the hottest place in the UK today at 38.1 and the Hottest temp ever in July was 39. something. Either you equipment us faulty or Burgess Hill doesn't get factored in when they do temperature checking :)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Left semi air conditioned office (west end London) 4pm

Got on 16:25 train from Vic
App, boards all say stopping at TBD

As we were moving noticed board on train says Gatwick then on to HH.

Thought I’d ask staff when they turn up, they didn’t

Clapham, east Croydon and Gatwick stations all show three bridges so think fine

App still showing stopping at TBD I even ask southern via Twitter who confirm it’s stopping at TBD

Train slows down on TBD approach then speeds up
Next stop HH

Get off rather hot and ask the driver what’s happening, basically tells me he had no instructions to stop

Luckily as there were 50ish people this happened to HH called the central office and arranged an additional stop as the next 3 trains northbound were cancelled

Unluckily the special train had no air con!

I get off an hour late at tbd and walk into a thunder storm absolutely chucking it down, at least I have an excuse for the colour of my shirt

So yes, it is too @@@@@@@ hot to work

I’m convinced this is a parting shot from Grayling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Does everyone in Burgess Hill only have three fingers or is it just you?
It's a physical quirk you appear to share with the Simpsons. Perhaps Burgess Hill should be twinned with Springfield.

Smallenburg is bad enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
easid-534133-media-id-39089.jpg

If you work in a kitchen cooking near hot flames it can be extremely difficult work.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
35c in pulborough today. Worked all day out in it. Yes it was hard work but cloud cover helped out in the afternoon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They said on the radio that Cambridge was the hottest place in the UK today at 38.1 and the Hottest temp ever in July was 39. something. Either you equipment us faulty or Burgess Hill doesn't get factored in when they do temperature checking :)

.....sensor was in direct sunlight.....official measurements are in the shade ��

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Gotta laugh at this, we get plus 40 every year, mind you everyone goes nuts when it snows for half an hour every other year. But true 40 is too hot to be working outside, I had to last year when it was 42 and ended up in the shower at work after overheating. Ballarat in Victoria is a strange one we get into the 40's during summer (usually mid 30's) then hit minus 5 in winter.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
NYC had its heatwave last weekend - hit about 105 with high humidity. But perfectly OK with the air conditioning in the apartment cranked up. When I last worked in the UK offices, cars and shops had AC but not in most houses or flats. Only options were open the window or switch on a fan - and fans don't really cut it as they just blow warm air around. Wonder if this is going to change now and AC will go into new properties - I'm guessing not as really high temperatures are still not common place

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ladies being strongly advised to not try and keep cool by inserting ice lollies into their vaginas.

I saw that headline. Once new a young lady who could have put a 6 pack of Cornettos in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
NYC had its heatwave last weekend - hit about 105 with high humidity. But perfectly OK with the air conditioning in the apartment cranked up. When I last worked in the UK offices, cars and shops had AC but not in most houses or flats. Only options were open the window or switch on a fan - and fans don't really cut it as they just blow warm air around. Wonder if this is going to change now and AC will go into new properties - I'm guessing not as really high temperatures are still not common place

Domestic AC sales have risen in SE England. I know folk who’ve had it installed for their main bedroom (parents being more important than their kids, obviously).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here