Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's time to start living like free people.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There are difficult choices ahead to be made, as there have been throughout the pandemic with no easy paths to take (made worse by the government being utterly woeful at every stage of the way). So there is plenty room for debate and discussion, and for different opinions. I am all for that. My posting record on the various Covid threads I hopes shows that I have generally tried to be balanced (albeit my political views are obvious).

BUT - I am concerned that this site is being used for the spread of very specific anti-science, anti-vaccination lies and misinformation. This is dangerous in my opinion. It is not debate. It is not opinion. It is propoganda. And I'd like to ask the mods whether it's possible to manage that in some way?

I'm no great fan of Bill Gates, but to suggest that he's an evil genius using the pandemic to some imagined ends of hs own is absurd and offensive, not least to the many decent scientists and technicians working day and night to get us all a safe solution to this disease.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are difficult choices ahead to be made, as there have been throughout the pandemic with no easy paths to take (made worse by the government being utterly woeful at every stage of the way). So there is plenty room for debate and discussion, and for different opinions. I am all for that. My posting record on the various Covid threads I hopes shows that I have generally tried to be balanced (albeit my political views are obvious).

BUT - I am concerned that this site is being used for the spread of very specific anti-science, anti-vaccination lies and misinformation. This is dangerous in my opinion. It is not debate. It is not opinion. It is propoganda. And I'd like to ask the mods whether it's possible to manage that in some way?

I'm no great fan of Bill Gates, but to suggest that he's an evil genius using the pandemic to some imagined ends of hs own is absurd and offensive, not least to the many decent scientists and technicians working day and night to get us all a safe solution to this disease.

I despair, I really do, and I'll admit I don't know what to do, even though I'm VERY uncomfortable with some of the views being posted on here.

The problem is, none of this is black and white - it's very difficult to draw a line where stuff one side is considered so whacky that it does not belong here and should, instead, be left on TinFoilHatWearersChat.com - presumably where it was dragged from in the first place.

What the last six months has illustrated, for me, is just how many people I'd happily label utter nutjobs there are out there - far more than I'd have thought possible. I don't know if this volume of people have always existed, or whether the social tools we all have access to has permitted so many (poisoned) seeds to be planted, which has resulted in whole new forests of crazy people sprouting up.

I'm happy to take suggestions.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
So because someone has a different take on information and has explored a different view of a narrative and is open to the possibility there is a different truth than you they are a Nutjob?

Fortunately as you say there are millions of people in this country who are now allowing themselves to think more freely. That is healthy. If more Germans had done that in the 1930s we’d not have had to endure the Nazis.

And to the poster saying lies have been posted about vaccines can I ask where?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I despair, I really do, and I'll admit I don't know what to do, even though I'm VERY uncomfortable with some of the views being posted on here.

The problem is, none of this is black and white - it's very difficult to draw a line where stuff one side is considered so whacky that it does not belong here and should, instead, be left on TinFoilHatWearersChat.com - presumably where it was dragged from in the first place.

What the last six months has illustrated, for me, is just how many people I'd happily label utter nutjobs there are out there - far more than I'd have thought possible. I don't know if this volume of people have always existed, or whether the social tools we all have access to has permitted so many (poisoned) seeds to be planted, which has resulted in whole new forests of crazy people sprouting up.

Understood. Not easy.

If it were my call (and it isn't) I'd make it clear that there is a line to be crossed, and, while ultimately it can never be completely objective, that line sits somewhere around the point of repeating anti-vaccination misinformation. The mods can collectively take a subjective view if the line has been crossed, and I'd suggest thread bans after the warning has been issued.

I am sure some won't like it, and see it as part of the establishment plot, but they can always retreat to TinFoilHatWearersChat.com as you say.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Understood. Not easy.

If it were my call (and it isn't) I'd make it clear that there is a line to be crossed, and, while ultimately it can never be completely objective, that line sits somewhere around the point of repeating anti-vaccination misinformation. The mods can collectively take a subjective view if the line has been crossed, and I'd suggest thread bans after the warning has been issued.

I am sure some won't like it, and see it as part of the establishment plot, but they can always retreat to TinFoilHatWearersChat.com as you say.

Censorship then just because you as an individual don’t agree with something? As I say please show me where a lie has been posted about vaccines?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
[tweet]1306865995160707074[/tweet]

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
So because someone has a different take on information and has explored a different view of a narrative and is open to the possibility there is a different truth than you they are a Nutjob?

Fortunately as you say there are millions of people in this country who are now allowing themselves to think more freely. That is healthy. If more Germans had done that in the 1930s we’d not have had to endure the Nazis.

And to the poster saying lies have been posted about vaccines can I ask where?

Taking a view on a narrative is fine. Posting misleading pictures of the ingredients of the flu jab with names of scary sounding chemicals to make them sound dangerous, when in fact the flu vaccines have been proven to be safe, is not ok, in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

I despair too, but luckily for me I'm not running a website. Similar discussion here:

[tweet]1306704775816318976[/tweet]

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Taking a view on a narrative is fine. Posting misleading pictures of the ingredients of the flu jab with names of scary sounding chemicals to make them sound dangerous, when in fact the flu vaccines have been proven to be safe, is not ok, in my opinion.

It's a factual list of things that are in a vaccine. You think it's a bad thing for people to be aware what they might be putting in their body?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It's a factual list of things that are in a vaccine.
Alongside which you posted "This is what is in most flu vaccinations. Whom on earth would willingly put this in their body?"

Inferring that it would be dangerous to get a flu vaccine because of those ingredients. It is categorically not, as proved by scientific studies, but your post could lead people to believe that it is.

If you want to make claims that something like a vaccine (which is aimed at saving lives) is dangerous, you should be able to back it up with evidence. In this case, the evidence would need to be that the ingredients listed, in the concentrations present in the vaccine, are dangerous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Censorship then just because you as an individual don’t agree with something? As I say please show me where a lie has been posted about vaccines?

you posted a deliberatly mis-informed picture claiming it to be the contents of flu shots.

It's a factual list of things that are in a vaccine. You think it's a bad thing for people to be aware what they might be putting in their body?

no it is not, we've covered most the points already.

i dont think we need censorship as we can happily refute the ideas from batland.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I do wonder whether those on here who put forward their 'odd' views have always been deluded and Covid has increased their delusions, or were they really that deluded before Covid.
Anyway, I am having my flu jab this afternoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here