Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's the big day today! When the entire nation stops to watch the FA Cup Final

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ooooh, does anybody know what position Wigan & Man City's Cup Final records reached in the Hit Parade this year?

I can't believe it! Did you miss seeing Top of the Pops on Thursday?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't believe it! Did you miss seeing Top of the Pops on Thursday?

I did :down:

I can't see City's effort making the Top Ten, what with Cliff Richard's new record being out and the Quo releasing their long awaited double A side, but it would be nice to think Wigan's excellent Wi-Gonna Go All The Way (This Year) might challenge Nik Kershaw and USA For Africa for the coveted #1 spot.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I was one of the unlucky ones whose first Cup final they remember was 1979 - a lot to live up to!!

Only other decent ones were Utd- Palace 90 (both semi's were great too - obviously not Palace winning for you lot) - and 2000 - Arse - Liverpool? also Liverpool v West Ham

Worst - 1996 Man U v Liverpool. Boring as hell and then Utd won.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was one of the unlucky ones whose first Cup final they remember was 1979 - a lot to live up to!!

Only other decent ones were Utd- Palace 90 (both semi's were great too - obviously not Palace winning for you lot) - and 2000 - Arse - Liverpool? also Liverpool v West Ham

Worst - 1996 Man U v Liverpool. Boring as hell and then Utd won.

Hey Lu7 Red, are you a Liverpool fan? If possible, and you're interested, please could you make a pledge so that Jimmy Case's autobiography can be published? See Hard Case

Case scored one of the great FA Cup Final goals, course:

If only he scored for Brighton in 1983 at Wembley as well!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I did :down:

I can't see City's effort making the Top Ten, what with Cliff Richard's new record being out and the Quo releasing their long awaited double A side, but it would be nice to think Wigan's excellent Wi-Gonna Go All The Way (This Year) might challenge Nik Kershaw and USA For Africa for the coveted #1 spot.

:clap:

I had to think quite hard to remember who was actually in the final. Kids today, don't know their born - Cup Final day was when the whole nation stopped almost, wall to wall coverage all day, 15:00 kick off, last game of the season (unless their had been serious disruption to fixtures due to bad weather).

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I always loved the bit in the commentary just before half-time when they would tell us that the CEGB estimated that 14678065 kettles would be switched on in homes around the country for the half-time cuppa :)

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I had to think quite hard to remember who was actually in the final. Kids today, don't know their born - Cup Final day was when the whole nation stopped almost, wall to wall coverage all day, 15:00 kick off, last game of the season (unless their had been serious disruption to fixtures due to bad weather).

Showing my age a bit, but wasn't the European Cup final usually played on the Wednesday after? Late seventies/early eighties we dominated the thing :)

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
I think the FA cup has lost a lot of its appeal unless we are in it. I'm at home surfing the Internet and reading,

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Here's Churchill Square at 3pm on FA Cup Final day on 21st May 1983:

1983churchillsquare.jpg
I reckon those people would be just about on the escalator towards WHSmiths now

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was a ritual in the old days that you sat in front of the TV from about 9.00am right through until after the cup was presented etc. The Fa are to blame by allowing clubs to play reduced strength teams and have thus taken the glory off of it. This is so easily rectified by bringing in a rule like in local football that to play in the semi or final they must have played x number of games in the competition so in the case of Man City to play Joe Hart instead of their No 2 keeper, who has played in most FA cup games he would have had to play in at least 3 of their 4 cup games.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Wigan are playing well. Hope they do it.

Me too.

I heard a commentator say Wigan's team cost £11 million whereas City had 11 players who cost over £11 million each. (Or something like that)

This must be a great addition to Martinez chances of the Everton job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here