Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's the big day today! When the entire nation stops to watch the FA Cup Final

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
We can moan about money or kick off times, but the magic was down to the fact it was pretty much the only live game on TV all year, and therefore it always was something to look forward to.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's Churchill Square at 3pm on FA Cup Final day on 21st May 1983:

1983churchillsquare.jpg

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Wow!, FA Cup day - I must be getting old, or wearing blinkers and earplugs, because it had actually escaped my attention! As a boy, I would have been bouncing off the ceiling, regardless of who was playing.

So true.

The event has been ruined by:
- too much footy on the telebox
- messing around with the date and kick-off time
- clubs giving the cup a lot less priority than other competitions

... oh well, that's progress.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So no Stuart Hall this year then ?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
The F.A cup was for me the highlight of the season! But moving the KO, having the semis at wembley and the lack of respect show to it by some of the bigger clubs has made it seem tainted in my eyes.

D

Deleted User X18H

Here's Churchill Square at 3pm on FA Cup Final day on 21st May 1983:

1983churchillsquare.jpg

Excellent havn't seen that photo for years. Between the 16th - 27th May 1983 this town ate, drunk and slept Brighton & Hove Albion and I mean EVERYONE.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Wow!, FA Cup day - I must be getting old, or wearing blinkers and earplugs, because it had actually escaped my attention! As a boy, I would have been bouncing off the ceiling, regardless of who was playing.

Just about sums it up for me too, FA Cup Final day was like a second birthday to me as a kid, I'd watch the BBC religiously from about 10am. Sad.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
We all know with absolute certainty that Man City are going to win - probably by 2 or 3 goals, maybe more.

What's the point in watching?

I am sure thats what most people thought about Liverpool in the 88 final....

Dandyman

In London village.
What time does 'Cup Final Grandstand' start? I've misplaced my copy of the Radio Times but I am welling up with anticipation about the big build-up, watching reports from the team's hotel and 'It's A Cup Final Knockout.'

Maybe we'll get to hear each team's FA Cup Final song and get to vote for the 'Goal of the Season.'

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing the new tracksuits that each team will be sporting as they walk out of the tunnel and hearing the 100,000 crowd at Wembley all joining in with 'Abide With Me'.

At 3pm, will you be watching the match on TVS or BBC 1?

I hope it's a good open game and that the players don't freeze on undoubtedly the biggest occasion of their careers. Personally, I think it might go to a replay.

:thumbsup:If only.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm looking forward to the bit where the captains of each side introduce their individual team mates to the camera, and regale us with amusing tales of how "Kevin Sheedy. Twenty seven. Left midfield" once had the toes cut off all of his socks and put Deep Heat in Kevin Ratcliffe, thirty two, centre half's, underpants as revenge.

Also can't wait for Stan Boardman (he's not part of Operation Yewtree yet, is he?) to bring his hilarious "Jaaaairmans" routine to the pitch. That Fokkers joke never gets tiresome.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What time are Mel Smith & Griff Rhys Jones doing one of their hilarious head-to-head sketches?

Just after Peter Beardsley shows us his collection of Dire Straits & Phil Collins LPs and introduces us to his lovely wife Tina in their attractive 3 bedroom semi-detached.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ooooh, does anybody know what position Wigan & Man City's Cup Final records reached in the Hit Parade this year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here