Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "It's not VAR, it's the people running it"

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think the only question is "has it improved the game?".

It has not improved the game. 100% not improved it.

I'm not against change or technology. I sell change and technology for a living. And every time I have a customer whose life isn't improved by change and technology I have some VERY difficult questions to answer. Not so referees and football authorities it would seem.

This is what I don't get. Yesterday was an absolute cluster**** of a day for VAR. Everyone, bar none, involved in VAR will have known that (yet again) every media outlet and common fan has been slating VAR and the ridiculous decisions since, and will have heard much of the criticism. Considering that, how the **** was there an even more ridiculous shitshow today when surely they must've been thinking let's not keep VAR in the news for all the wrong reasons again today... you'd have thought anyway

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the only question is "has it improved the game?".

It has not improved the game. 100% not improved it.

I'm not against change or technology. I sell change and technology for a living. And every time I have a customer whose life isn't improved by change and technology I have some VERY difficult questions to answer. Not so referees and football authorities it would seem.

I totally agree re the tech. Goal-line technology has been a gamechanger for the good (although Sheff Utd fans may not agree, but that really was a one-off aberration). For line calls in football, cricket and tennis, its excellent.

But football doesn't very often boil down to line calls. Its still a game of interpretation, and because of that, VAR will never, ever solve everything. It can't. We were originally told it was being brought in just to resolve the "clear and obvious errors" - but thats clearly bollocks. We were sold a pup, and now we're f*cking stuck with it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Whilst our lads were still celebrating and before we knew VAR was getting involved, Maddison had spoken to the ref and pointed back towards their goal. At the time I did wonder if he was making an enquiry as to whether Mwepu's attempted overhead was dangerous play or similar. I certainly thought he was trying to find an objection of sorts, although it certainly wouldn't have been offside.

Didn’t celebrate it as we’re level and he looked offside but then I didn’t know if he’d interfered etc etc. the annoyance was I was saying ‘think it was offside’ for a long time but as there seemed no movement from the ref or the screen and our lads had finished celebrating and Leicester were lined up ready to kick off I assumed it wasn’t going to be called. It was the time it took then and the time it took to check which was a real piss take.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just got to this thread and not going to read all through it, but it absolutely is VAR as a system to blame. Any system which routinely takes forever to pour through the minutiae is just totally incompatible with football fan culture. They've had years to tweak it or make it better and if they haven't by now they never will. As it stands it's intolerable.

It should be removed from our game.

Not system.

People.

But I accept that if referees are simply too THICK to make the system work then maybe the system should be changed.

However....

Personally I would SACK the referees, shut down their soppy association and KYBOSH their needy entitled demand to be in control.

Call me old fashioned :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just got to this thread and not going to read all through it, but it absolutely is VAR as a system to blame. Any system which routinely takes forever to pour through the minutiae is just totally incompatible with football fan culture. They've had years to tweak it or make it better and if they haven't by now they never will. As it stands it's intolerable.

It should be removed from our game.

It's not the system - it's the clueless goons (our highest qualified and most experienced refs) watching the replays.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn’t celebrate it as we’re level and he looked offside but then I didn’t know if he’d interfered etc etc. the annoyance was I was saying ‘think it was offside’ for a long time but as there seemed no movement from the ref or the screen and our lads had finished celebrating and Leicester were lined up easy to kick off I assumed it wasn’t going to be called. It was the time it took then and the time it took to check which was a real piss take.

I didn't celebrate the goal against Leeds for the same reason - I was convinced Welbeck was offside in the build-up.

On the highlights, after Gross slotted it home and the players came towards him to celebrate, you can see him pointing to Welbeck and asking him if he was onside.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Chris Kavanagh was the VAR ref responsible for this disgrace last season. He is truly terrible at his job.

Agree. Completely SHIT and should be sacked. What WAS he doing at the time? Being NOSHED OFF by his intern? :shrug:

Inexcusable.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I didn't celebrate the goal against Leeds for the same reason - I was convinced Welbeck was offside in the build-up.

On the highlights, after Gross slotted it home and the players came towards him to celebrate, you can see him pointing to Welbeck and asking him if he was onside.

I never celebrate goals now till it's done. I don't mind this, as long as the VAR decision is correct.

But it is too often wrong or slow due to halfwit undertrained THICKY officials.

You have the V. Now A the R, you absolute clunge of disgraces.

Not acceptable.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's not the system - it's the clueless goons (our highest qualified and most experienced refs) watching the replays.

Hmmm. Nope. It's the system.

Even if it were run by the greatest officials in football history it would still be an abomination which blights the game. For lots of reasons, the biggest one being it reduces the impact celebration of a goal. One of the great feelings of life, diluted. That primal feeling of unity that you only get at football, degraded.

As it is, it's run by officials so incompetent it's scarcely believable. This is not really disputed by anyone and it's not going to change any time soon. And as we know that to be the case, the actual choice we're presented with is "dodgy decision" or "dodgy decision 5 minutes later". I know what i'm choosing.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I was so angry after the goal was ruled out that i took myself away from the action for 10 minutes and enjoyed a cup of coffee on the concourse - luckily i came back in time to see justice and a great last 20 minutes . But whilst i was on the concourse all alone i thought about handing in my season ticket - that is the effect of VAR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hmmm. Nope. It's the system.

Even if it were run by the greatest officials in football history it would still be an abomination which blights the game. For lots of reasons, the biggest one being it reduces the impact celebration of a goal. One of the great feelings of life, diluted. That primal feeling of unity that you only get at football, degraded.

As it is, it's run by officials so incompetent it's scarcely believable. This is not really disputed by anyone and it's not going to change any time soon. And as we know that to be the case, the actual choice we're presented with is "dodgy decision" or "dodgy decision 5 minutes later". I know what i'm choosing.

That's the process, not the 'system'. The process is shit, and run by clowns. The system is fine, it's been badly implemented

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who ? say what now !..

**** alert, to be very honest:

Steve-McManaman.jpg

Him and German Genius are always defending career-ending challenges as 'all part of a man's game', and can do one, do it now, right now, and keep on doing it, till their cruciates snap with a pleasing twang. ???

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How would you implement it so that we can celebrate goals when they are scored, after a quick glance at the ref ?

I think the thing is, most of us in the crowd or watching on TV know when something is likely to need reviewing or not. That's why we all, still, instinctively glance over at the linesman to see if the flag is up. We know when something feels as though it 'may be offside', we know when something may have been a foul in the build-up, bot us, and the players know it. And in those instances, the celebrations are a little muted anyway - because you're half expecting a VAR look.

It's just these last three this weekend have been totally ridiculous. No-one would have minded at all if all three goals had stood as given by the on-field ref - not the opposition, no-one. The players looked totally bemused when waiting for a decision - when everyone assumed it was a perfectly good goal. I couldn't even celebrate Trossard's goal, as I just assumed that they would find something somewhere that no-one had seen.

And I suppose in direct answer to your question - it should be the on-field ref who decides whether he feels a need to go to the VAR. He could immediately make a 'goal' signal, or a 'hang-on, I think VAR needs to have a look' signal. Put the power back in the hands of the on-field ref.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How would you implement it so that we can celebrate goals when they are scored, after a quick glance at the ref ?

That's never going to happen.

Doesn't bother me but I appreciate it bothers others.

A bit like not being able to come after a couple of thrusts (if you want to be invited back).

I prefer the right outcome, even if it means a bit of .....self control :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the thing is, most of us in the crowd or watching on TV know when something is likely to need reviewing or not. That's why we all, still, instinctively glance over at the linesman to see if the flag is up. We know when something feels as though it 'may be offside', we know when something may have been a foul in the build-up, bot us, and the players know it. And in those instances, the celebrations are a little muted anyway - because you're half expecting a VAR look.

It's just these last three this weekend have been totally ridiculous. No-one would have minded at all if all three goals had stood as given by the on-field ref - not the opposition, no-one. The players looked totally bemused when waiting for a decision - when everyone assumed it was a perfectly good goal. I couldn't even celebrate Trossard's goal, as I just assumed that they would find something somewhere that no-one had seen.

Agree. The crowd could 'referee' 80% of decisions.

It's the other 20% that are a bit more troublesome...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
That's never going to happen.

Doesn't bother me but I appreciate it bothers others.

A bit like not being able to come after a couple of thrusts (if you want to be invited back).

I prefer the right outcome, even if it means a bit of .....self control :wink:

But you're not getting the right outcome. Look at these cock up's that have been happening this weekend. You're getting the wrong decisions made a very long time after the event.

There was also a penalty in the Brentford v Leeds game this weekend that took about 5 mins

If they were taking 5 minutes to achieve decisions which were fair, accurate and understandable, then there would be a case for retaining it, but they aren't, so there isn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here