Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's not games like tonight that have cost us automatic promotion...

el punal

It's the failure to put away woeful teams such as Bolton and Wolves earlier in the season. Wednesday came with a gameplan to get a point and executed it perfectly. Kayal was a miss but still don't think we'd have managed to break them down. Zero shots on target is still very poor, however another clean sheet is the one positive.

Let's wait until the end of the season before casting judgement on that one. Get automatic promotion, or even via the play-offs, and your point becomes . . . . well, pointless.

Looking at the other side of the coin, how many matches have we gained points through good fortune? That last minute penalty at Fulham, at the start of the season, for example.

No team has ever been perfect in winning promotion. At any time there can be a dip in form, a run of bad luck or an injury crisis to key players. It is when this misfortune occurs and how the team deal with it dictates the success or failure of the season.

Right now, we are third in the league with a probable play-off place and a possible automatic top two finish. We are not struggling in the relegation mire and we are not stuck in mid-table mediocrity. So let's all try and enjoy the remaining ten games and get behind the boys. Thus far it's been an unbelievable season, please let it finish as one.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
We are still in a fantastic position with plenty of points to be had. The other teams around us par Burnley are dropping points left right and center. It's still there for the taking. Let's not get negative so quickly. :albion2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
'Cost us' as if we should be top two? We're having a bloody great season, unexpectedly so. 20 odd clubs who wouldn't mind being in our position right now.

Because we can smell it, touch it almost, the reality is it is incredibly hard not to be disappointed with last night. In the cold light of day we've kept 2 clean sheets against 2 of the better sides in the division, we've not dropped points to anyone below us, and with each passing game our position in the top 6 looks more and more assured.

That said, I disagree with those who say we set up defensively, we set up as we normally do, however Wednesday got their tactics spot on in not allowing us any space out wide, once that threat was nullified, we did look toothless. I think you have to appreciate Wednesday worked their socks off to achieve that, even when Kaz came on they doubled up every time. They also maintained a threat and we actually did well to keep a clean sheet ourselves.

Given the other results, you've got to look at it as a point gained, didn't feel like it at the end though.

Last 10 games:
W6 D3 L1 pts 21

If our final 10 go the same as the previous 10, we'll be on 86pts and we will be in the mix.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It happens and we didnt lose. Just need to stuff Reading and all will be well.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
YET AGAIN we have BLOWN automatic promotion.

I just can't see ANY way we can make up the sheer CHASM of TWO POINTS in JUST 10 games.

With ONLY 30 points available I just can't SEE how it is even MATHERMATICERLALLALLY possible......

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

I just can't see ANY way we can make up the sheer CHASM of TWO POINTS in JUST 10 games.

With ONLY 30 points available I just can't SEE how it is even MATHERMATICERLALLALLY possible......
This. You have accurately summed up the wisdom of the crowd that is NSC.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
All the posters on hear two months ago, saying we wouldn't get the play-offs,now,apparently we won't get automatics.

It's the Championship ffs, anything can happen. There is not one person on here,and possibly in the country who can tell which team will beat any other, that's what makes it so good.

Saying that, Burnley look good, at the moment,apart from them, it's all up in the air

I think realistically, we're playoff bound now. I think we stand a good chance in the playoffs (although I'd like to avoid Derby!).

Looking at it we're only a couple of points behind Borough but they have a game in hand, and Hull have two games on us. I can't see either of them dropping too many points.

At the start of the season I'd be delighted with that, but I'm strangely disappointed atm. If we do win the playoffs though, I'll be back to delighted...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think realistically, we're playoff bound now. I think we stand a good chance in the playoffs (although I'd like to avoid Derby!).

Looking at it we're only a couple of points behind Borough but they have a game in hand, and Hull have two games on us. I can't see either of them dropping too many points.

Would much rather play Derby myself.

At the start of the season I'd be delighted with that, but I'm strangely disappointed atm. If we do win the playoffs though, I'll be back to delighted...

Keep seeing this. Other potential opponents:

Middlesbrough - tough away trip, ripped to shreds by them at home, would have to play them three times in two weeks.
Sheffield Wednesday - never won at Hillsborough. Really struggled against them this season.
Hull - Tough to break down, another long trip.
Cardiff - enough said.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Trying to be positive could have lost last night and other results except Burnley went for us. We're still in the mix and have a full strength side. Supporting the Albion has never been for the faint hearted at any level...

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
When you have the squad capable of achieving promotion from this division you have to seize the opportunity. Other clubs will have always spent more money than us competing at the top.

We still could seize the opportunity. You surely can't say hand on heart that we definitely have a better squad than the 22 other sides in this league? I think it's insane to suggest that if we miss out on the top 2 we have under achieved.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Like the 3 Boro dropped last night you mean ? Loads of potential twists and turns left in this season yet - genuinely think we could be playing Boro on the last day for a top 2 place. As for us underachieving (OP), really? We're miles ahead of where I expected us to be when we kicked off in August.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

:lol: :lol:

To fleshen this out a bit:

Up next:
a) Reading at home, whose season will be over by the time we play them on a Tuesday night.
b) MK away, with approaching 7,000 Albion making the trip.

Win those two and we are bang in the mix and not just on the fringes of the race, because meanwhile:
a) Middlesbrough are stuttering. They were effectively top with games in hand only 3 weeks ago, now they're third in reality having spent £9m on Rhodes and Karanka is getting increasingly stroppy in his post match comments. I'm not convinced they are top two material and I'm not convinced they are any better than us.
b) Hull play their games in hand - MK and Forest both at home. I really wouldn't rule out dropped points there.
c) Then Hull play Middlesbrough. They can't both win.
d) Burnley play at in-form Huddersfield on Saturday. No gimme there.

So much football to play. Two dropped points against a play-off rival isn't a deal breaker.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
If we don't get the automatic spot it will be because teams above us have earn it. I don't think anything has "cost us" the automatic spot. I was not expecting the automatic spot at the beginning of the year and though a top 10 would be great. Looks like a top 4 at least now which is outstanding. We should enjoy the season for what it is, which has been a surprisingly "outstanding" in my view. All teams in this division could say they have dropped points here and there that have cost them something. Look at Boro recent weeks. Spent a fortune on players but mistakes and lack of goals is costing them their shot at the automatics. At the end of the day everyone can beat everyone else. Just enjoy the last 10 games and see what happens. 30 point to play for yet and 5/6 point swing is not massive yet especially with the top sides all still to play each other again.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The madness that is the Championship can be seen in results that have occurred in a matter of days…

Cardiff 4 BHA 1
BHA 4 Leeds 0
Cardiff 0 Leeds 2

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
:lol: :lol:

To fleshen this out a bit:

Up next:
a) Reading at home, whose season will be over by the time we play them on a Tuesday night.
b) MK away, with approaching 7,000 Albion making the trip.

Win those two and we are bang in the mix and not just on the fringes of the race, because meanwhile:
a) Middlesbrough are stuttering. They were effectively top with games in hand only 3 weeks ago, now they're third in reality having spent £9m on Rhodes and Karanka is getting increasingly stroppy in his post match comments. I'm not convinced they are top two material and I'm not convinced they are any better than us.
b) Hull play their games in hand - MK and Forest both at home. I really wouldn't rule out dropped points there.
c) Then Hull play Middlesbrough. They can't both win.
d) Burnley play at in-form Huddersfield on Saturday. No gimme there.

So much football to play. Two dropped points against a play-off rival isn't a deal breaker.

Agree. Burnley are on a hell of a run but even they have had to rely on one goal wins (sound familiar?) recently. If Gray continues or fire they will probably make it but they are due a bad run. Hull and Boro are having trouble scoring goals. Hull went up with 79 points in 2013; I am beginning to wonder whether we might see a year when the 2nd place at least is up for grabs at less then the norm.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I do love NSC, it's the only place you can majestically sweep from "world beaters" to "lucky to be clinging onto our Championship status" in a game or two. The facts are we're 3rd, yes 3rd, in the Championship. We are within a gnatt's chaff of the auto places, I would have swapped that and some at the start of the season.

We are virtually nailed on for the play offs and it's the start of bloody March!

Come on guys, let's put some balance and a modicom of reality into this, we're having the time of our lives, all those wet nights at Withdean, the latter parts of the Gus era, Sami Hiccup and some of the football we have played.

I for one are 100% behind the club, 100% behind CH, 100% behind the team and 100% happy with this season

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If Andre Grey gets injured the title is anyones.

The boy is a superstar. I still think we will nick second place over Hull but, if we have to go down the playoff lottery route AGAIN, then i still believe that we have a team with enough experience and nous to get through that traumatic experience.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought we had to win six of our last seven home games and not lose to Burnley. Now we've got to win all five. I expected us to slip up in one of them.

I was wet but not dispirited. Goldson passed his test with flying colours.His positioning was very good and makes up for his slight lack of pace (vs Gray of Burnley) but still much quicker than Greer.

The Wednesday crosses from deep were quite good.

The big thing is who plays with Hemed up front? This is the bit of individual skill that is needed to break down defences. (Leeds and Bristol City defences don't count as they collapsed.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4197254.stm

They'll be very comfortable on the ball, have great vision and a very quick turn of pace.
They will usually create plenty of chances for team-mates, but also bang in more than a few themselves.

I can see why Baldock is chosen because he runs around a lot, but he doesn't score goals or do many assists. Not incisive or clinical. I don't think he has got that litle bit of extra pace either.

Who would you chose as second striker?

Lualua (does not run into space)
Baldock (shooting is a bit naff)
Skalák (bit of an unknown)
Wilson (no strength on the ball)
Zamora (does not have the work rate)
Knockaert (losing the ball too often, one footed)
Murphy (better on the wing, shoots with the right foot only)
Manu (out on loan)
March (injured, one footed, better out wide)
Towell (completely unknown)

Instead of a second striker we could always play three up front, two wide men behind one striker, and taking turns to drop deep.
Or we could play just one winger, an extra midfielder and push Stephens (scores goals) and Kayal forward in turns. Or Rosenoir playing wider.

The answer to me is to work on the weakneses of the ten contestants. They are all about as good as bad as each other in different ways. .

With players that are so one-footed the opposing defences can predict which way they will go and unless they have strength or extra pace, the defender wins. That's why I would favour Lualua to win a game from nothing in the play-offs. If Wilson was a bit stronger on the ball and could trap the ball on the half turn, he could be quite good (that's why Man U have leant him to us).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here