Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's not games like tonight that have cost us automatic promotion...

el punal

I think realistically, we're playoff bound now. I think we stand a good chance in the playoffs (although I'd like to avoid Derby!).

Looking at it we're only a couple of points behind Borough but they have a game in hand, and Hull have two games on us. I can't see either of them dropping too many points

At the start of the season I'd be delighted with that, but I'm strangely disappointed atm. If we do win the playoffs though, I'll be back to delighted...

Over the their four games (max.12 points), Hull have won 5 points and Boro 6 points. Anything can happen in this league . . . and does.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I don't get to many games but ,at the tender age of 44, I am getting more and more excited about the Burnley game. 4 points (or more?) from the next 2 games and that could be a belter.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I don't get to many games but ,at the tender age of 44, I am getting more and more excited about the Burnley game. 4 points (or more?) from the next 2 games and that could be a belter.

I understand where you're coming from - I just hope it doesn't rain when we play Burnley - we clearly don't do rain!!!!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You can't believe how happy I am that I was proved wrong yesterday...

:thumbsup:

It's pointless predicting this league and writing any of the top 4 off. Less than a month ago, we were on a par with Burnley with both Hull and Boro looking set for the top two. Just 2 weeks ago (or was it last week?), I posted that a Burnley/BHA 1-2 in either order was 33/1 whereas Hull/Boro (either order) was 7/4. That looked a nonsense even then.

I am confident that if we look after our own business, we will go up. Same goes for the rest of the top 4. Beat Reading and MK, and get anything from the Burnley home game and we will be set fair. I've given up looking too far ahead now, I'm sure Hughton being the experienced wise head that he is, will just be focussed on trying to win against Reading.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Going by recent form the only team in the top five that merits auto promotion is Burnley. Right now I don't think we deserve second spot anymore or less than the teams around us.

The following points from the last 30

Burnley - 26
Boro - 12
Hull - 18
BHA - 21
Derby - 12
Sheff Wed - 14
Cardiff - 18
B'ham - 15

So right now, who does deserve second spot? Right now, Brighton are the team with the second best current form, so right now I would say they deserve it!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
:thumbsup:

It's pointless predicting this league and writing any of the top 4 off. Less than a month ago, we were on a par with Burnley with both Hull and Boro looking set for the top two. Just 2 weeks ago (or was it last week?), I posted that a Burnley/BHA 1-2 in either order was 33/1 whereas Hull/Boro (either order) was 7/4. That looked a nonsense even then.

I am confident that if we look after our own business, we will go up. Same goes for the rest of the top 4. Beat Reading and MK, and get anything from the Burnley home game and we will be set fair. I've given up looking too far ahead now, I'm sure Hughton being the experienced wise head that he is, will just be focussed on trying to win against Reading.

This. The 'take every game as it comes' mantra is as true now as ever. It is all CH and other managers can do, simply aim to win the next one and see what turns up: control the controllable and forget the rest. Which is why all the 'points required', 'teams in meltdown', 'bottom teams fighting for lives' is of interest on forums but irrelevant to what happens.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Burnley - 26
Boro - 12
Hull - 18
BHA - 21
Derby - 12
Sheff Wed - 14
Cardiff - 18
B'ham - 15

So right now, who does deserve second spot? Right now, Brighton are the team with the second best current form, so right now I would say they deserve it!

Looking at the table it still is only Burnley who look like they deserve promotion because they have an 8 point gap and probably only need 3 wins. The teams around us look pretty shaky but if we lose tomorrow so will we.

If the question is: Can we get autos? My answer would be yes, but deserve wouldn’t be an impartial opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Absolutely this.

Which is why I think those scoreline calcs for all the teams remaining games are a complete and utter waste of time and effort. The results in this league are bloody ridiculous, I've given up trying to do accas on it.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Burnley - 26
Boro - 12
Hull - 18
BHA - 21
Derby - 12
Sheff Wed - 14
Cardiff - 18
B'ham - 15

Should all of the top 11 continue their form of either the last 10 or the last 5 matches for their remaining games, Brighton would finish second behind Burnley, Hull third, Boro 4th, Cardiff 5th and Derby 6th.

As Easy has said, form in the Championship means nothing, but it seems that those of us who thought the top two was out of our reach after last Tuesday's game, may have been under-estimating the jobs that Boro and Hull still need to do.

That said, a repeat of last week's performance against Reading tomorrow night could see an opportunity to capitalise missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here