Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's nice to be nice

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
FWIW I didn't mean I'm venomous towards away fans, that's just stupid, but, at least I am not chatty until `after the final whistle. With banter thrown in of course!
Shame, you would have loved the conga we did with the Norwich City fans at the Disco after the 1-0 defeat.

Okay, maybe not.

It is possible to still support your team loudly and be friendly with away fans start to finish.

Years ago I went for an away match at Plymouth Argyle. In the days when we would all fit into a small corner. An elderly Argyle fan told me how he loved the visits to Hove. Safest place in the country for an away fan he said.

That's nice, isn't it ? I like being bottom of the nasty list.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
That's warmed the cockles of my heart. I'm pleased they felt welcome & I'm pleased they didn't think we were being patronising. I certainty wasn't assuming we'd win & if we had lost, they wouldn't have had anything from me except for luck for the semi. I like being a 'nice' club. Obviously Palace can do one, but even saying that adds to the kettling chances etc. I don't want to be 'nice' to everyone but everyone thoroughly enjoyed yesterday & I hope that if we were on the losing side we would have been gracious & carried on with being 'nice'. If they had won they would have deserved their place at the semi's, they deserved their place at the QF. They did really well. On another note, will we be able to take our seagulls to Wembley now that Grimsby have established a precedent! :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The bloke who got Mac Allister's shirt was like a rat up a drainpipe after the final whistle, he must have been keeping watch on Ale for the last minute or so just to make sure nobody else nabbed it :lolol:

I also saw their players making a beeline for Caicedo and Mitoma, and was momentarily touched to realise we've reached a point where opponents genuinely look up to our players and are desperate for their shirts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think in our hearts we older fans, have much more in common with the Grimsbys of this world, than the Manchester United of this world.

I, for one , hope that never changes.
I thought the same.

In fact, I'd argue that in our first few Premier League seasons we were still pretty much regarded as being on a par with Grimsby by the big clubs and their fans.

it's only the last 18 months or so that we've been able to change those perspectives and be seen as something other than a mild inconvenience, easily swatted away.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Grimsby fans on their day out...

"Like to give a big thank you to Brighton and their fans. They have been first class all day. It's a fantastic set up were fans migled freely outside, drinking and having a bite to eat. Football as it should be. It's been a fantastic day despite the result."

"Respect to a large number of Brighton fans who stayed behind for a long time and clapped the town off the pitch 👍"

"Supporters of both clubs pure class!"

"Town fans fantastic
Brighton fans fantastic
Hope they go on and win the Cup"

"Thank you Sid and all Brighton fans. As you rightly said football as it should be. We've had a great time today despite the score. You have fantastic facilities there and you made us feel very welcome. You are all a credit to Brighton."

"Also I have never ever felt so welcome by oppo fans as brighton, stayed behind drinking with them lot and they were great and absolutely full of praise for the efforts of team and fans. Hope they go on and win it."

"First time I’ve been to Lewis for 25 years and forgotten what a smashing little town it is, superb venue for a pre match beer and banter with Brighton fans who were also a credit to their club."

"Everything about today from Brighton was class - even the programme - not just a token one page about the away team - loads of Grimsby content, the stewards and other staff, the cards to make stripes and fish for the away end, the Brighton fans applauding our players. I’m not a fan of the premiership and what it’s done to football, but BHA totally lack the arrogance of that level, indeed the opposite there was a sense of humility about the club and the welcome it gave to us…"

"Really hope bha go on & win the cup now , not bigtime at all spoke to loads of their fans & to a man first class"

"I know most wanted a draw against Man Utd but does anyone think they'd have given us the welcome that Brighton did? I don't think so personally. Brighton have the feel of one of the many friendly little clubs we've come across over the years but on a bigger scale and with Premier league money."

"Nothing but praise for Brighton as a team and a club. Everyone was welcoming and helpful.

Our team gave their all, but we just couldn't live with them on the pitch, which is no shame. Great and well merited applause for them at the end of the game, and the Brighton fans joined in as well to their credit."

"Had a great time down on the south coast fair play to so many of the Brighton fans for staying behind a good 15 mins to applaud our team off at the end, we deserved that after what our team has done this year in the cup.."
My God - were we really that patronising? :(:(:(

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think in our hearts we older fans, have much more in common with the Grimsbys of this world, than the Manchester United of this world.

Yeah agree with that. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed the day so much. Being at the station, on the train and outside the ground with hundreds of Grimsby fans took me back to the days of following us to Grimsby, Crewe, Port Vale etc. It felt comfortable and very nostalgic!

Saying that, I wouldn't want to go back there now!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Couldn’t agree more. I have much more in common with your Average Grimsby fan than your Average City/United fan. We support our local team it’s not just about the glory or the success it’s all the ups and downs you have along the way and enjoying the special moments and big days out when they come around. Luckily for us since the turn of the Millennium we have experienced it all and things aren’t over yet.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Struggle to understand the point of view that we should treat away fans like shit. As someone who goes away on a regular basis spending hours of my weekend travelling across the country I’d love a few more welcomes like that. Places like old Trafford and Goodison are f***ing horrible to go to.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought the same.

In fact, I'd argue that in our first few Premier League seasons we were still pretty much regarded as being on a par with Grimsby by the big clubs and their fans.

it's only the last 18 months or so that we've been able to change those perspectives and be seen as something other than a mild inconvenience, easily swatted away.
And our players no longer look on in awe when we play the top six and ask for shirt swaps after the game, thank God!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Struggle to understand the point of view that we should treat away fans like shit. As someone who goes away on a regular basis spending hours of my weekend travelling across the country I’d love a few more welcomes like that. Places like old Trafford and Goodison are f***ing horrible to go to.
Exactly. Mutual respect is good. Everyone likes a bit of banter if it isn't hostile.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Which is exactly the clubs thoughts. Make away fans feel welcome and they will come back and spend money locally.
Create a hostile atmosphere for the opposition but no need to treat away fans in a poor way and a few clubs need to learn that

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Shame, you would have loved the conga we did with the Norwich City fans at the Disco after the 1-0 defeat.

Okay, maybe not.

It is possible to still support your team loudly and be friendly with away fans start to finish.

Years ago I went for an away match at Plymouth Argyle. In the days when we would all fit into a small corner. An elderly Argyle fan told me how he loved the visits to Hove. Safest place in the country for an away fan he said.

That's nice, isn't it ? I like being bottom of the nasty list.
i like being nasty on the bottom list....:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here