[News] It's meter reading day - do it today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
On 1 October, the annual energy bill for a typical household will rise from £1,971 to £2,500 - a 27% increase.

Submitting accurate meter readings means providers won't accidentally charge you at the higher rate for your earlier energy use.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
How many will be adding a few units? The opposite to the norm.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is there any need to do this if you have a smart meter?

If your smart meter is reliably and consistently reporting your usage (some don't apparently), then probably not.

I'd still be taking a quick look and jotting it down just in case though.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I've done both readings. However, the Great British Gas website is currently lying down with its legs in the air. It might be terminal.

Most suppliers have asked that your readings are taken today/tomorrow but submit the readings anytime over the next week to prevent their sites being overwhelmed and collapsing like last time Martin Lewis told everyone to send in readings.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
…and charge all your batteries!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Done first thing - have been with Outfox the Market for a couple of years and they have been far better than anyone else we have used.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
most smart meters will send readings automatically, however some of the first few generations of smart meters only communicate woith the original supplier, so IF you have changed supplier since its best to manually add a reading. Smart meters should show the supplier name on the readouts. If in doubt send a reading , it wont hurt.

My supplier (SO Energy) emailed me saying they were receiving readings and I didnt need to send.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports