Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "It’s like the old Billy Gilmour we’ve got back."

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t think Colwill had many options once it became clear he wasn’t going to be allowed to leave.

Gilmour got to leave, and did so that he could play. Hopefully this shows he’s sensible enough not to go somewhere just for the money but that he cares about his career as well.
Yes, that's probably the answer - but how long dod he have on his olld contract? He always had the option to play up and force a move; probably Lallana advising him to sign hs new contract (booo !) clinched it!

Plus, of course, a several £million a year pay rise!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, that's probably the answer - but how long dod he have on his olld contract? He always had the option to play up and force a move; probably Lallana advising him to sign hs new contract (booo !) clinched it!

Said it before but if Colwill had signed would JPVH have moved on? It looked touch and go even after Colwill signed a new deal at Chelsea. I am coming around to thinking I’d prefer JPVH over Colwill. I was a big Colwill fan and was gutted that we couldn’t get him but JPVH has really impressed me in his improvement.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

Maybe he didn’t want to be that guy, like Caicedo was.

Contracts protect players as well, a bad injury or a season where he disappears at Chelsea and then nobody wants him and then he’s out of contract and earning nothing. It’s easy as fans to think Do X or Y, but it’s not us making big career-altering decisions.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Said it before but if Colwill had signed would JPVH have moved on? It looked touch and go even after Colwill signed a new deal at Chelsea. I am coming around to thinking I’d prefer JPVH over Colwill. I was a big Colwill fan and was gutted that we couldn’t get him but JPVH has really impressed me in his improvement.
I concur, Colwill i suspect would have been happy to come here but he got the reassurance he was looking for that he would get game time at Chelsea plus a big pay rise . Doubt we could have matched that. JPVH big improvement at the Man City game last season and continued improvement has saved the club having to spend on another centre back . I’m not convinced Colwill is a significant improvement on JPVH now.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I don't know why. :shrug:

Maybe ask Levi Colwill?
He would say he's a Chelsea player, which he is, as he was only with us on loan. If reports are to believed, he did want to stay with us. Chelsea wouldn't let him though, and then he signed a new contract.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As you and others have said, Colwill was excellent but have we missed him? JP has been absolutely superb this season and we haven't even seen what Igor has to offer. Maybe he'll get his first start against Chelsea in Carabao?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I may be in a minority, but Colwill whilst excellent on the ball, is not that good defensively IMO at this moment in time, particularly positionally. I’m sure he’ll continue to improve but he would have been better off doing it in a more supportive environment.

JPvH has started relatively well, Newcastle goal aside, and hopefully will continue his good form.

As for Gilmour, just excellent, and buy back clause…… no chance

Last edited:

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Ridiculous, we all know by now that Chelsea representatives stalk our team wherever we go, wax lyrical about us to Bohley and have wet dreams about turning Chelsea into a club like Brighton, thats been clear for the last year.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of no concern if true.

Typically all that would mean is if we agree a sale of Gilmour, Chelsea would have the opportunity to match those terms and complete the transfer to them. A first refusal of sorts.
No idea if true or not, but the article says that there is a clause allowing Chelsea to buy him back for a specified fee. A one-club release clause, if you will.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
There’s no buy back on our little Scottish terrier unless it was kept a secret at the time the club bought him from Chelsea which is extremely unlikely

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Colwill did allow Dunk to play on the right. I suppose.

Generally I much prefer our own players, even if they are not quite so good (which as you say might not even be the case in JVP v Colwill).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Rumours today are that Chelsea have a buy-back clause. I suspect it’s bollocks based on Chelsea scouts being at the ManU game to see who they can next spunk £100m on.

As reported more than a year ago:-

Gilmour.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here