Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "It’s like the old Billy Gilmour we’ve got back."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
“He’s so confident. He wants on the ball, you can see a different person and he’s loving his football because he’s had a good run in the Brighton team towards the end of the season. Does he remind me of the Billy Gilmour we first saw? Absolutely. But that’s because he’s playing for his club."

“When you’re not, it’s going to affect a young player. You’ve got to handle these players properly and to be fair to the manager at Brighton he’s been fantastic and he thinks an awful lot of Billy. When you think a lot of someone then they perform. You can see that in Billy’s performances for Brighton. Certainly when he comes with us, he knows the manager loves him - we all do - and he gets a massive lift.”

"But now Billy is like a new player. It’s like the old Billy Gilmour we’ve got back. It’s good for him because he’s a great player. And it’s great that someone like the Brighton manager can actually put him in the team and he’s a big part of how they play.”

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Could well be the replacement for the holding Alexis we have lost. Doesn't look like he can replace the number 10 Alexis but RDZ now seems to prefer one of our strikers dropping into that position. Don't think he could replace Moises though.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agree with all the above. Billy really took his chance at the end of the season. A very tidy passer with the ability to really fizz the ball into someone's feet.

He will continue to get better with games.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
A great player and always hoped it would come good for the lad. Looking forward to
next season so much.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If we can keep Moises, I think he will thrive next season alongside him, his eye for a pass is on par with Gross a midfield of a fit and confident Gilmour and Caicedo is as good as any.

Obviously Mac is hard to replace but I think a lot of things Gilmour actually does better, time will tell if Billy becomes as much of a complete midfielder as Alexis.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
“He’s so confident. He wants on the ball, you can see a different person and he’s loving his football because he’s had a good run in the Brighton team towards the end of the season. Does he remind me of the Billy Gilmour we first saw? Absolutely. But that’s because he’s playing for his club."

“When you’re not, it’s going to affect a young player. You’ve got to handle these players properly and to be fair to the manager at Brighton he’s been fantastic and he thinks an awful lot of Billy. When you think a lot of someone then they perform. You can see that in Billy’s performances for Brighton. Certainly when he comes with us, he knows the manager loves him - we all do - and he gets a massive lift.”

"But now Billy is like a new player. It’s like the old Billy Gilmour we’ve got back. It’s good for him because he’s a great player. And it’s great that someone like the Brighton manager can actually put him in the team and he’s a big part of how they play.”

His dip in form/attitude wasn't purely football related, of course...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
So excited to see him next season. He's obviously a big personality in the squad, struggled to settle with not playing and the stalking case but I thought he was exceptional at the back end of the season and often very surprised when he was taken off. He's a lovely little player, beautiful passer and he's going to be a real asset.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
For the first time in ages, will BG in the squad, I'd actually like to see Scotland do well.

I'll still piss meself when they get dicked by Georgia and Cyprus though

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought that was someone's Norwich supporting mate?
It probably was - as well as some knee-jerk reactions from some of our own...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Like MacAllister he has that ability to keep moving the ball forward with intelligent passes and getting us up the pitch quickly and has clearly been working hard to be a contender to replace him.

These comments when he got his chance earlier in year show the succession planning we have

“I took my opportunity,” Billy said. “Of course it’s hard to fill in for Moises [Caicedo] and Alexis [Mac Allister] who have been doing a brilliant job all season and I’ve had to be patient, I tried to take my opportunity.

“When they’ve played I’ve watched them, studied them, the way they receive the ball and break the lines and they’ve been absolutely brilliant. In training I’ve been trying to do that as well, to get my opportunity to do that in the game, so it felt good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here