Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's G-Day!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I seem to recall many moons ago when undertaking disciplinaries that the employee was allowed to bring 1 representative who was there to observe and wasn't allowed to speak or be involved but just there to corroborate what went on if needed. The employers representative would state the case and the employee could respond. After this the employer would decide on the course of action to take as a result of what happened at the meeting. I am not sure how different this would be with a breach of contract in something a bit more high profile but don't see why solicitors etc would be involved until such time as the employee disagreed with the decision reached by the employer.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
If it ever came out that he didnt try to win the match then...... But as was said, if he was trying to throw it, putting Ashley Barnes on and making him have those two chances in a minute saved was a master stroke.

You wonder now, just how much the club hoped (either then or with hindsight now) that Gus had gone to reading?

of course he tried to throw the match, Barnes is useless don't you know.....

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was once the observer for a friend at work in his disciplinary. What was strange was that i was only a few months out of a coma and still mostly mental. He obviously felt he had no one else at work he could trust to come and be present. I sat there pretending to take notes. My broken shoulder had no long mended and my ability to make sense of sentences was still long beyond me. Luckily, it all went calmly and no one asked to see what i had scrawled like a dreaming wolf with crayon claws.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Absolutely correct although my concern is that the pre-hearing posturing by both parties and the apparent total breakdown of the employment relationship may make any kind of mutual agreement difficult to achieve, at least today.

You would hope that the advisers can see beyond that. I've been involved in panels where outbreaks of aggression have been expected. Calm sensible advise from union reps have calmed things down.

I've also seen scenarios where things were quite jovial at the start and then they descended into full on rows. Usually because it comes out that one side or the other comes aware of what the other has been saying about them to colleagues.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I seem to recall many moons ago when undertaking disciplinaries that the employee was allowed to bring 1 representative who was there to observe and wasn't allowed to speak or be involved but just there to corroborate what went on if needed. The employers representative would state the case and the employee could respond. After this the employer would decide on the course of action to take as a result of what happened at the meeting. I am not sure how different this would be with a breach of contract in something a bit more high profile but don't see why solicitors etc would be involved until such time as the employee disagreed with the decision reached by the employer.

I was told I could bring a representative to an HR farce at News International, so I said I'd be bringing my union rep. Since NI refused to recognise the NUJ and wouldn't allow the rep inside the Wapping stockade, they had to hire a conference room - fully catered - at a hotel near Tower Bridge. Although it was only 500 yards away, the HR people took taxis there and back, which the rep and I found slightly ironic in view of the fact that the company was trying save money by making me redundant. The meeting, by the way, lasted all of five minutes. But the rep and I got to take all the sandwiches and biscuits away at the end, which was something.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Has anybody on here ever been called to clarify a statement they have given in an investigation? There was a bullying claim at a site I was on secondment to. A girl claimed the manager was victimising her.

My evidence said that I had seen them a lot over the previous weeks and their relationship had seemed friendly - even light hearted.

I was then asked by the girl and her rep (via the panel chairman) to clarify the comments. Was she being put under sexual pressure, had he been grooming her etc etc. None of which had come up in her original complaint until they had read my comments.

He was cleared btw although in the interim he missed out on a promotion and it took years for his next opportunity.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Custard creams you say?

He should be grateful he got those. Most chairmen would just about splash out for rich tea fingers. He should realise how lucky he was.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I was told I could bring a representative to an HR farce at News International, so I said I'd be bringing my union rep. Since NI refused to recognise the NUJ and wouldn't allow the rep inside the Wapping stockade, they had to hire a conference room - fully catered - at a hotel near Tower Bridge. Although it was only 500 yards away, the HR people took taxis there and back, which the rep and I found slightly ironic in view of the fact that the company was trying save money by making me redundant. The meeting, by the way, lasted all of five minutes. But the rep and I got to take all the sandwiches and biscuits away at the end, which was something.

The best one I had was a final meeting with a member of my sales team who was on disciplinary for poor timekeeping.....you guessed it, he turned up half hour late!!!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Adjourned for 5 working days due to the breakdown of negotiations over the custard creams I hear.

They will have to throw some Piglets Pantry pies in to sweeten the deal. We have moved way beyond the time for biscuits in this dispute i fear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here