Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It’s amazing how well results have gone our way

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we lose at Norwich we could well be back in the mix as our chances of getting anything against Liverpool and City, apart from a goal difference hammering, are virtually non existent.

I am looking at this as a must win game if we want to avoid a last three game lottery

We have had quite a bit of luck in other results lately, we now need to take advantage by taking points off the bottom team.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If we lose at Norwich we could well be back in the mix as our chances of getting anything against Liverpool and City, apart from a goal difference hammering, are virtually non existent.

I am looking at this as a must win game if we want to avoid a last three game lottery

We have had quite a bit of luck in other results lately, we now need to take advantage by taking points off the bottom team.

Yep, I agree. Which made the 40/1 against us going down prior to the Utd game such a tempting bet.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

I agree. It's a must win game. But when was the last time we won one of those? Its been a very long time, and I'm not optimistic about this one either. If we stay up, I think it'll be down to our GD, we just need to hope we can protect it

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really? I'd say he got alot wrong between the Bournemouth home game and lock down which put us in the trouble we were. Our defending was hopeless for a long period.

After Bournemouth we only conceded more than 1 goal in one game and that was the 3-3 at West Ham in that period. P8 W0 D6 L2 F7 A9.

We picked up draws away to Sheff Utd, Wolves, and home to Chelsea with some resolute defending. I would have said our scoring and finishing is what did us in that period. Against Palace we had 23 shots, 8 on target and couldn't score. The Villa game should also have been put to bed with better forward play.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
After Bournemouth we only conceded more than 1 goal in any game and that was the 3-3 at West Ham in that period. P8 W0 D6 L2 F7 A9.

We picked up draws away to Sheff Utd, Wolves, and home to Chelsea with some resolute defending. I would have said our scoring and finishing is what did us in that period. Against Palace we had 23 shots, 8 on target and couldn't score. The Villa game should also have been put to bed with better forward play.

Our self inflicted paucity of PL quality strikers is the reason that we are not mid table and safe imo. GP, like CH before him will continue working with one hand tied behind his back until the club rectify it.

Luckily I think that only Watford and WHU are at an advantage on this front of the teams below us

I am grateful to Potter for the tactics he tries to use, so much better viewing than just hanging on from the kick off

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree. It's a must win game. But when was the last time we won one of those? Its been a very long time, and I'm not optimistic about this one either. If we stay up, I think it'll be down to our GD, we just need to hope we can protect it

Huddersfield at home last season?

I won't be too disappointed with a draw. I think it is a must not lose rather than a must not win. We're 6 points above the bottom 3, Villa away at Liverpool, Bournemouth away at MU, Watford away at Chelsea, I'll wager a point puts us 7 points above the bottom 3 with 5 to play. I'll take that.

Hope we win of course, have to try, but I don't agree it's a 'must win', I think another point is a point closer to safety (and 34 may well be safe).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield at home last season? 9

I won't be too disappointed with a draw. I think it is a must not lose rather than a must not win. We're 6 points above the bottom 3, Villa away at Liverpool, Bournemouth away at MU, Watford away at Chelsea, I'll wager a point puts us 7 points above the bottom 3 with 5 to play. I'll take that.

Hope we win of course, have to try, but I don't agree it's a 'must win', I think another point is a point closer to safety (and 34 may well be safe).

All good until you take into account the pretty well guaranteed defeats, maybe heavy, in our next two games

In truth I am just praying we don’t end up in squeaky bum time in our last game at Burnley

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Our self inflicted paucity of PL quality strikers is the reason that we are not mid table and safe imo. GP, like CH before him will continue working with one hand tied behind his back until the club rectify it.

Luckily I think that only Watford and WHU are at an advantage on this front of the teams below us

I am grateful to Potter for the tactics he tries to use, so much better viewing than just hanging on from the kick off

Agree Icy, and not just strikers, we just don't seem to be getting the nice 4 or 5 goals from players supporting from midfield, and we've looked less threatening from set pieces as the season has worn on - our delivery hasn't been great on the whole.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Our self inflicted paucity of PL quality strikers is the reason that we are not mid table and safe imo. GP, like CH before him will continue working with one hand tied behind his back until the club rectify it

Spot on.

When you think of the next group of teams, we are not a million miles from being in that bunch.

Some better recruitment offensively and we could easily be top 10.

Leicester and Wolves are knocking on the door of the big 6, Arsenal could easily fall out of it. Everton with Ancelotti will be better next year, but the. Who else?

Why not us?
Reputation counts for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All good until you take into account the pretty well guaranteed defeats, maybe heavy, in our next two games

In truth I am just praying we don’t end up in squeaky bum time in our last game at Burnley

Yeah of course, I'm not exactly going to be lighting the cigars with a draw at Norwich, but the term 'must win' really is must win, and that is where Norwich, Bournemouth, Villa and Watford are, even West Ham have pulled themselves out of must win territory away to Newcastle at the weekend. At 6 points above the drop zone, and 12 points above our opponents, it's just doesn't fit into that 'must win' desperation stakes category. If we get a point, it really isn't that bad a result with Newcastle, Saints and Burnley still to play.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Bournemouth’s remaining six games are horrific. United, Spurs, Leicester, city, scumhampton and Everton. Where are they going to get 7 points from there?

Villa have Liverpool, United, palace, Everton, Arsenal and West Ham. Again really difficult to see where they’ll get 7 points

Both have a -14 gd and both have united to play.

Norwich have BHAFC, Watford, West Ham, Chelsea, Burnley and Man City. A much easier run in than the other two but they have a -25 gd and are 12 points behind. They need 13 points from 6 assuming we don’t win another point as -25 gd is unlikely to be overturned. They’ve scored just 25 goals all season.

A draw is fine as I can’t see either PLB or villa winning at the weekend. If that was the case then they would need 8 points from 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

Saturday's game isn't a must win at all. Bournemouth's match last night was a must win, and they collapsed. Look at the fixtures both Bournemouth and Villa have left and work out where they're going to get 7 points from. We probably need a couple of draws now, and I suspect we won't even need that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth do look dead and buried BUT of all the bottom teams they probably have a better record of pulling of shock results against top teams given their history over the last couple of years. They probably won’t but like Palace they do have a history of surprising everyone occasionally

Yeah I know I’m a certified glass half empty guy :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah of course, I'm not exactly going to be lighting the cigars with a draw at Norwich, but the term 'must win' really is must win, and that is where Norwich, Bournemouth, Villa and Watford are, even West Ham have pulled themselves out of must win territory away to Newcastle at the weekend. At 6 points above the drop zone, and 12 points above our opponents, it's just doesn't fit into that 'must win' desperation stakes category. If we get a point, it really isn't that bad a result with Newcastle, Saints and Burnley still to play.

I have Saints, Cardiff and Bournemouth “easier”games ringing in my memory :wink:

Saints are going well and Ings is scoring for fun, Newcastle have horribly good forwards who have come into form and Burnley have the Indian sign over us.

If it’s OK with you I am going for Norwich being a must win!!

scooter1

How soon is now?
Agree Icy, and not just strikers, we just don't seem to be getting the nice 4 or 5 goals from players supporting from midfield, and we've looked less threatening from set pieces as the season has worn on - our delivery hasn't been great on the whole.

It says something when our second highest goalscorer this season is own goals. I totally agree that the midfield should all be pitching in with 3, 4 or maybe 5 each, but we are very shot shy from anywhere outside the box and i guess thats a confidence thing

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I don’t think it’s must win there are still two teams who currently need to get 7 points more than us over six games. Both have tough run ins so we could easily lose Saturday and still stay up. We all want us to win to put the nail in the coffin but when have the Albion ever done anything easily.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
For the bed wetters out there, this is Aston Villa's remaining fixtures. If we don't get another point, they would need to find 2 wins and a draw from this lot

Liverpool A
Manchester United H
Crystal Palace H
Everton A
Arsenal H
West Ham United A

I'd say there are only three games were they even have a shot at it. Palace, Arsenal and West Ham. Of the rest Everton are on form and Liverpool who are going to put 10 past us according to some of the muppets on here should manage to score 1 more than Villa.. Man U? Tough gig. If they beat West ham they beat a team below us. Villa have won 7 games in 32 and now people are worried they will win 2 from 6 against the top teams form wise in the league and even if they did, are we going to pick up ZERO points in our last 6 games?

It's going to take a hell of a turnaround now for us to go down. Win at Norwich and we are home and hosed.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have Saints, Cardiff and Bournemouth “easier”games ringing in my memory :wink:

Saints are going well and Ings is scoring for fun, Newcastle have horribly good forwards who have come into form and Burnley have the Indian sign over us.

If it’s OK with you I am going for Norwich being a must win!!

Agreed, last year Bmuff and Cardiff were must win, we were woeful . . . We still have too many of those players and the potential to capitulate. . Bounce back from Tue with a win on Saturday and we can confidently the rest of the games in our stride and pick up a few points to guarantee safety.

Lose on Saturday and it'll be plastic sheets for a few weeks. :rolleyes:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Indeed. We need 3 more points, so to avoid needing anything from the last 3 games we need to beat Norwich.

You are agreeing with something that wasn't said.

It is nowhere near a must win game.

We need 1 more win, and have 4 realistic chances to get it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here