Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's all about the Pace about the Pace

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We've got an obvious run of tough fixtures coming up. Maybe this gives us the chance to play on the break a little more. Put Maupay and Connolly up front and try to exploit some of the high defensive lines we'll see

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
7th most shots in the league... Dont let reality stop your "no one is shooting" and "no one is doing anything" myth though, Im sure its comfy.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
7th most shots in the league... Dont let reality stop your "no one is shooting" and "no one is doing anything" myth though, Im sure its comfy.

Yeah but how many of those shots are just us blasting it at the defenders legs from 2 yards when we get to the edge of the box and run out of ideas.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Not every goal in this league is a .99%XG, your mum could score it, tap in.

Every now and then, if we're to stay up we need a goal from a half chance. Ali J's shot, i'd say is a 1 in 4 chance at this level, MacAllisters shot, maybe a 1 in 6 at this level, same with Burn's header. My point is, we're not scoring any of them at the moment + we're missing sitters when we get them.

In particular the number of chances our defenders have missed from corners is inexcusible, I know Dunky got one the other day. Taken individually, none of those chances was easier to score than miss. But we've missed probably 30 half chances from these situations and our rivals are scoring 1 in 10 rather than 1 in 30. (Vestergaard against us is a good example) . Burn's technique yesterday made it look like he was trying to hoik it as high as he could. Not good enough

So you’re saying we created enough for about half a goal yesterday? Arsenal were shit and created three gilt edged chances a d guess what, they took one.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

What was the last big chance that we created but didn’t score? Maybe Connolly against Liverpool? The Sheffield United game has a couple of scruffy headers in there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah but how many of those shots are just us blasting it at the defenders legs from 2 yards when we get to the edge of the box and run out of ideas.

So "passing the ball into the net" is not good and shooting from the edge of the box is not good... what type of goals do you think the team should try to score?

The lack of shots and chances is not the problem. Converting those into goals is.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
We've got an obvious run of tough fixtures coming up. Maybe this gives us the chance to play on the break a little more. Put Maupay and Connolly up front and try to exploit some of the high defensive lines we'll see

Welbeck good at his too but WE HAVE TO PLAY TO THEIR STRENGTHS

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What was the last big chance that we created but didn’t score? Maybe Connolly against Liverpool? The Sheffield United game has a couple of scruffy headers in there.

Alexis yesterday was the latest one. Plenty of good chances vs Sheffield and Fulham as well.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So you’re saying we created enough for about half a goal yesterday? Arsenal were shit and created three gilt edged chances a d guess what, they took one.

Averaged out over all the games we need to be scoring more from chances you wouldn't expect a goal. MacAllster's shot is a good example. In previous games it's been Trossard guilty, but we've had loads of chances from that range and only put one in (Bissouma v Everton). At this level we need to score a higher percentage.

Yesterday was a representative example. 13 attempts, 2 on target. The 13 is fine, the 2 needs to be much higher.

But more than that we need better decisions. Davy had a great shooting chance and chose to pass and gave it away. In other matches we've shot when we should have passed. The point is that quality players think clearly and execute the skills they have practiced when under pressure. We don't have players that can do that, at least not often enough to keep us away from danger.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Alexis yesterday was the latest one. Plenty of good chances vs Sheffield and Fulham as well.

Sorry, I must have dozed off. What was the big chance that Alexis had yesterday. I only remember a couple of pot shots.

Compare that to the proper chance that Aubamayang and Lacazette had in a side that isn’t even playing well.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Averaged out over all the games we need to be scoring more from chances you wouldn't expect a goal. MacAllster's shot is a good example. In previous games it's been Trossard guilty, but we've had loads of chances from that range and only put one in (Bissouma v Everton). At this level we need to score a higher percentage.

Yesterday was a representative example. 13 attempts, 2 on target. The 13 is fine, the 2 needs to be much higher.

But more than that we need better decisions. Davy had a great shooting chance and chose to pass and gave it away. In other matches we've shot when we should have passed. The point is that quality players think clearly and execute the skills they have practiced when under pressure. We don't have players that can do that, at least not often enough to keep us away from danger.

Or they’re being coached to pass when in these positions. We simply do not create enough GOOD chances. It’s all half chances, a sight of goal, a header from 12 yards out in a crowded goalmouth...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Or they’re being coached to pass when in these positions. We simply do not create enough GOOD chances. It’s all half chances, a sight of goal, a header from 12 yards out in a crowded goalmouth...

7th in big chances missed according the PL website. Not sure how they define big chances but not sure how you define it either.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Why do we try to walk it in every time as well. No player ever seems to get in a shooting position outside the box let alone in it !!!

Too much passing and know one willing to have a go. It's so frustrating to watch.

If you know one, please email Barber to ask him to tell Potter to pick him :)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
7th in big chances missed according the PL website. Not sure how they define big chances but not sure how you define it either.

Well i certainly wouldn’t define anything I saw from us last night as a big chance. We were profligate early on in the season but we’re just not creating anywhere near as many clear cut chances now. We have to look at changing the way we attack teams, mix it up a bit more and stretch defences. It’s so predictable

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

From Potter himself yesterday “ I don't think we are creating lots and lots of chances and missing big chances.”

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From Potter himself yesterday “ I don't think we are creating lots and lots of chances and missing big chances.”

Talking about yesterday or in general? Yesterday I would agree. Alexis and was it Ali J? messing up that opportunity when stealing the ball from their defenders and some other half-chance aside, the team didnt create much yesterday. Generally speaking I wouldnt agree with that though, very wasteful in most games.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Our slowness in transition can be described in two words - Pascal Gross. He is a snail. When I saw Gross and Propper were both starting I knew what would follow....
The difference when Lallana starts over Gross is significant. Gross insists on at least a touch, normally multiple, before moving the ball. Lallana is quicker in thought and execution. That is down to COACHING.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Our slowness in transition can be described in two words - Pascal Gross. He is a snail. When I saw Gross and Propper were both starting I knew what would follow....
The difference when Lallana starts over Gross is significant. Gross insists on at least a touch, normally multiple, before moving the ball. Lallana is quicker in thought and execution. That is down to COACHING.

You forgot to mention Groß squeezing in at least 1 mandatory Cruyff turn before looking to find a team mate.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Not many which is the WHOLE point of xG as a metric. It tells you how clear cut your opportunities are and ours has improved markedly under GP than CH.

I do agree with the OP though and personally I think it partly starts with getting a fit Pröpper alongside Bissouma for that to start to flourish.

For my mind that pattern of play must start and end in the engine room and personally I think we have the players to achieve it - Bissouma, Pröpper, MacAllister, Groß and of course Lallana are all capable of speeding up delivery to front men or the wing backs but for a number of reasons we haven’t been able to achieve a consistent 2 from 4/5 players in that role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here