Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's all about the Pace about the Pace

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So apart from pace, team selection, poor goalkeeping. toothless forwards, poor manager, no spending, Dan Ashworth, and league of better sides, what other conclusions are to be drawn to lead us to an instant turn of fortunes ?

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
We need a bit of short term pragmatism. Sign a Josh King, expensive, no resell value but experienced, capable at this level and quick...

The Josh King who hasn’t played yet this season due to sulking over his move to West Ham failing and then having a bad back for the last 2 months

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Look at Leeds Potter, they break with pace, look threatening every time they go forward, score goals and make it hard for teams to defend. Yes they also are left vulnerable at the back and leak goals too but look at their position in the table.

Our lot just don't know what the f%ck to do in the last 3rd.

We are one paced attacking and struggle to get beyond or behind opponents defence. That's why we cannot score.......we are one paced......SLOW and easy to defend against.:down:

Couldn’t agree more and players like Connolly and Welbeck want the ball early into the channels. Don’t blame the players though, it’s clearly tactical. I don’t mind us playing possession based football but FFS, mix it up.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Maybe we could try to be more like Leeds, but there's more than one way to score a goal and the patient approach works for some teams. It comes down to 13 attempts with 2 on target.

13 attempts is enough chances.

It's not pace OP. It's about quality.

13 attempts? How many of those were actually decent chances? We created nothing more than a half chance all game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was thinking more about the speed/pace we pass
The passes are so slow everything about us is slow
When I watch Leeds in particular I see players busting
a gut to get forward and to make things happen
Their passes fizz about the park their is an energy about them
that we just don’t have.
This with knobs on! The players don't have to be fast (although it helps if some of them are) but the ball does! Passing from side to side, although frustrating to watch at times, does have a point -iot moves the defence around, has them chasing to mark their men and try to keep their shape. Or at least it does when the ball is pinged around fast.
Rolling the ball gently from one to another, as we do, does none of this - the defence have ample time to stroll into position - and if they break into a bit of a trot may even get to the ball before it reaches the Brighton player it was passed to!
The ball can cover the ground umpteen times faster than even the fastest running player; yes, even along the ground, so don't bore me by shouting about hoofball. We desperately need to start making the ball travel from A to B (A and B being Brighton players!) much faster.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I’m sure Potter would love to play with pace but he can only work with what he has. Take Lamptey and we have no pace in the squad

Nonsense. You just have to move the ball quicker and exploit the space I behind the defence. Welbeck and Connolly will run the channels all day if they think they might actually get a ball there in the 90 minutes. Look at the Liverpool and Villa games

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
13 attempts? How many of those were actually decent chances? We created nothing more than a half chance all game.

Agree with this.
We do move the ball very ‘Gus-like’ which gives the opposition time to get back / get compact, and make it more difficult for us to create half decent chances, often forcing us wide and - more often than not - mopping up any crosses.
I think moving the ball faster will help move the opposition out of shape, creating gaps for that killer ball in to the box, which will help create more gilt-edged chances.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Somewhat annoyingly Leeds are an exciting, entertaining team to watch.
They've adapted brilliantly to the top flight and continue to play the game their way.
their style of play will inevitability see them concede and they will take the odd beating but they are thrilling to watch on the break.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Agree with OP
said exactly the same things during half time last night when they showed the 4 Leeds goals v wba
I thought that was the style and route we were going down by appointing Potter but he seems to have ripped up that & his blueprint of supposed playing style
As somebody already mentioned in this thread you dont need players with pace just put pace on the ball with quick passing and movement, of players I’m astonished how pedestrian our play has become

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Not sure what the Argie says or does in his pre match and half time talks but he gets his teams rallied... but he’s doing something.

Yeah he’s an excellent manager and the hype around him appears justified.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

Exactly, stats are misleading. We’re so unthreatening it’s absurd.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Nonsense. You just have to move the ball quicker and exploit the space I behind the defence. Welbeck and Connolly will run the channels all day if they think they might actually get a ball there in the 90 minutes. Look at the Liverpool and Villa games

Yeah I agree, I was cursing our lack or movement upfront last couple of games. But the runs will stop being made if the passes never come. That’s coaching right? I don’t understand how we’ve fallen so far from our opening games of the season. I guess the trouble with a footballing philosophy is without winning games the players think it’s a bag of shat. AND I’m Potter in.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Yeah I agree, I was cursing our lack or movement upfront last couple of games. But the runs will stop being made if the passes never come. That’s coaching right? I don’t understand how we’ve fallen so far from our opening games of the season. I guess the trouble with a footballing philosophy is without winning games the players think it’s a bag of shat. AND I’m Potter in.

I just can’t understand how a manager who started out with such flexibility has become so rigid:

- the five at the back seems to be built around Lamptey and March but last night we played it with Veltman and Bernado !!!
- zonal marking clearly isn’t working but we keep doing it
- teams just pack the box and allow us to get wide and play balls in to diminutive strikers but we keep doing it
- zero consistency in team selection clearly not helping the players but he can’t help tinkering
- he rarekg plays to the strikers strengths even though it worked as recently as Liverpool and Villa
- slow, patient build up now entirely predictable and easy to defend

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The only flaw here is take Lamptey out the team and we have no pace

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree with this.
We do move the ball very ‘Gus-like’ which gives the opposition time to get back / get compact, and make it more difficult for us to create half decent chances, often forcing us wide and - more often than not - mopping up any crosses.
I think moving the ball faster will help move the opposition out of shape, creating gaps for that killer ball in to the box, which will help create more gilt-edged chances.

And I agree with this. Oh for a bit of intensity. I'm not asking for a 90 minute Bielsa-style blast, but playing long in the channels when that option is available, and having specific periods in the game when we go for it. We're too passive at present.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It does seem strange that he’s been here for 18 months and we’re no closer to having the pace required to play this system than we were when he arrived. Particularly when you compare to how he set Swansea up.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm not interested in Leeds or what they may be achieving but more aware of those pushing for titles. Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Leicester, Spurs et al all move the ball very quickly and transition from defence to attack in an instance. I appreciate we don't have players with the same level of ability but do notice we conceade plenty of goals by loosing the ball in our own move and the opposition breaking on us

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Not every goal in this league is a .99%XG, your mum could score it, tap in.

Every now and then, if we're to stay up we need a goal from a half chance. Ali J's shot, i'd say is a 1 in 4 chance at this level, MacAllisters shot, maybe a 1 in 6 at this level, same with Burn's header. My point is, we're not scoring any of them at the moment + we're missing sitters when we get them.

In particular the number of chances our defenders have missed from corners is inexcusible, I know Dunky got one the other day. Taken individually, none of those chances was easier to score than miss. But we've missed probably 30 half chances from these situations and our rivals are scoring 1 in 10 rather than 1 in 30. (Vestergaard against us is a good example) . Burn's technique yesterday made it look like he was trying to hoik it as high as he could. Not good enough

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here