[Football] Italy V England Final.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Italy are a better side than England, first half we played them off the park, second half Italy were very good and should have won it and I’m sure most of us will have taken penalties even if we lost. Why why bring on 2 players to take penalties with a minute left , both who were young and didn’t seem confident and the BBC barely mentioned it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The threat of the two players created the space for the first goal. Watch it again. Mount and Shaw double up on the left stretching their defence and Sterling's central run draws people in to make space for Shaw,

You don't just play the game with the ball at your feet.

Think Shaw was good today and throughout the tournament. Overall (and also today) I expected a little bit more of Mount perhaps.

Dont think any of them were the main issue today. Not sure if anyone in particular was, though I didnt like the Trippier / Sako sub.

But its not really about any single player. Italians were cooler and not afraid, that was the real difference.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seems churlish to dig out Southgate for his tactics, when they are the tactics that got England to the final.

It's a shame GS has made it so easy to be critical.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We probably would have won if we'd voted Remain.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Honestly? I’d say Southgate has done well enough to unite the England team and create a sense of unity and a culture that is truly essential for our future success- but he has taken them as far as he can tactically- it would be controversial and I doubt anyone in the FA has the balls to do it after England’s successful run, but I’d say it’s time to take Southgate out and replace him with a manager who shares that unifying culture but has the talent and creativity to take our talented young players and turn them into a tournament winning side.

What I’m basically saying is that the FA should pull a Tony Bloom and sack Southgate and replace him with a Potter like figure, piss off a bunch of people in the short term but be completely vindicated by year two. Unfortunately I don’t think the FA has the same acumen or big picture perspective compared to our TB so even if they tried it, they’d probably botch it.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was like watching a CH team. Score a goal then try to defend it. We dropped back so badly there was just no out ball

Yep, we had the players but the manager bottled it. It was clear ten mins before Italy scored that it was coming and Southgate changed nothing until they scored. Yes men don’t win tournaments

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
At least we now have the football that actually matters coming up soon :wink:

I know you're on the wind up with the winky smiley but do give me a nudge the next time Brighton are within 90 mins of a trophy, just in case I've not noticed.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Shocking second half they totally let Italy into the game once we lost control they should’ve brought rashford on as a decent out ball no way Italy would squeeze the pitch like they did first game that I’ve been disappointed with southgates tactics

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How do you know that's what happened.

Because he didn't take one, leaving it to a 19 year old kid. Some experienced players should have stepped up (Sterling should have put his hand up too)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know you're on the wind up with the winky smiley but do give me a nudge the next time Brighton are within 90 mins of a trophy, just in case I've not noticed.

Give Potter the players Southgate has and we’d sweep all before us. You are a bloody weirdo with your love for Southgate and loathing of Potter

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because he didn't take one, leaving it to a 19 year old kid. Some experienced players should have stepped up (Sterling should have put his hand up too)

Grealish may well have said he's ready for a penalty but it's not his choice. If 6 said they'd take one then one is going to miss out, at least for the first phase.

I can't stand Grealish the man but he's still probably the best midfielder we have in this country.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I know GS has taken us further than usual in the last 2 tournaments but to be honest, weve had pretty good draws in both of them. Hes done a great job in man management but luck has been on his side and we need a proper tactician to take us one step further. We have the makings of a great team.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Apparently Kane didn't touch the ball once in the box....

Had anyone removed him from Bonucci’s pocket yet?

The ultimate flat track bully. Did ok for the first 5 minutes and then hid all game except for his usual pathetic attempts to con the ref. Doesn’t work so well outside of the PL.

I’m sure Rashford, Sancho and Saka will deflect any blame off our totally over rated, uninspiring captain though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Give Potter the players Southgate has and we’d sweep all before us. You are a bloody weirdo with your love for Southgate and loathing of Potter

Well one's got one of my teams to within two penalty kicks of the second biggest trophy in the world and the first major final for 55 years and the other has achieved two positions in the Premier League that were almost identical to our very first season with a squad that was probably 150% better and certainly more expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports