Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] It was 50 years ago today................

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Just think of the carnage if we ever changed road signs to the metric system.

Been there, done that here. Distance signs done when they needed replacing (new ones marked KM) and speed signs done overnight (20/01/2005) - installed in the months in advance and then the black binbags moved from the km/h signs to the mph signs by council staff overnight

It just gives some weak deniability for speeding for the first few months - "what, the limit isn't 120mph?" - rather than any real problems. Motorway speed limit went up 8km/h too.

Is it worth the cost? Difficult to say. We don't need mph clocks in cars but now nearly all new cars use screens that's not a cost anymore; just made Japanese cars a few quid cheaper at the time. It wasn't a final metrification step - we still use pints as a beer measure, and that's likely never going as there is a registered faux-metric set of measurements for the pint and fractions of a pint.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
69-70 season ticket

Grandstand £10 10s
South Stand £5 5s

I think potg was 3 shillings

Juniors & Pensioners 2/6

A programme would have set you back 1/-

The last home game in old money was Shrewsbury

The first home game in new money was Preston (programme 5p)

But how much was a transfer from the Chicken Run to the North Stand, if it started raining?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Another stich up forced on us .

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I can remember some weird stuff from up to 60 years' ago. I can recite the register of pupils from my first year at secondary school, and when I came across a photo of my junior class when I was 10, I could name every one.

Back to the prices, I was paid 15p and hour (3 shillings). My first pay packet contained £ 1.20. I thought I'd won the pools!

Aha, so I am etched somewhere in your mind. That could explain a lot. :)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Aha, so I am etched somewhere in your mind. That could explain a lot. :)

Acton, Anderson, Braid, Bransbury, Buchelor, Clarke, Cook, Ewens, French, Gravitt, Green, Hart, Heath, Homewood, Lawrence, Melville-Brown, Mitchell, Morgan, Munday, Oliver-Minos, Pitt, Rolf, Spicer, Tahzibb, Townsend, Turner, Turner, Wadey, Williams, Wragg!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
144 pennies in a pound? You got short changed big time.

960 farthings to the pound was much more fun! Trouble was you could pay a £1 bill with them - they were only legal tender up to 1 shilling (five pence). Even for something costing a shilling, you could still right royally p1ss off a shopkeeper if you paid them with 48 farthings!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Acton, Anderson, Braid, Bransbury, Buchelor, Clarke, Cook, Ewens, French, Gravitt, Green, Hart, Heath, Homewood, Lawrence, Melville-Brown, Mitchell, Morgan, Munday, Oliver-Minos, Pitt, Rolf, Spicer, Tahzibb, Townsend, Turner, Turner, Wadey, Williams, Wragg!

Wow, as I started to read that list I was aged 12 again and can see everyone.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Wow, as I started to read that list I was aged 12 again and can see everyone.

Being able to do that certainly hasn't helped me in any way!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
960 farthings to the pound was much more fun! Trouble was you could pay a £1 bill with them - they were only legal tender up to 1 shilling (five pence). Even for something costing a shilling, you could still right royally p1ss off a shopkeeper if you paid them with 48 farthings!

Farthings was just before my time. I saw a few but they were no longer legal tender. late 50's, early 60's?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Farthings was just before my time. I saw a few but they were no longer legal tender. late 50's, early 60's?

Officially ended 1960, but most shopkeepers refused to accept them for a year or two before that. Nothing cost a farthing anyway - black jacks and fruit salads (extremely unhealthy sweets!) were four a penny, but you had to buy the full penn'orth - they wouldn't sell you one at a time!

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Probably shouldn't have pressed play on that Bygraves tune, nasty ear worm potential:mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here