Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isle of Wight Visible From Brighton?

Srixon

Sep 26, 2010
Was playing golf last month at hollingbury and my dad was my caddie. Got to the 4th tee and told my dad thats the isle of wight on the horizon so yes to the question.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Those respondents are clearly incorrect.

Quite. With my infra-red lighthouse, I can see that Selsey Bill does not entirely get in the way...

bton.jpg

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Quite. With my infra-red lighthouse, I can see that Selsey Bill does not entirely get in the way...

View attachment 19821

Selsey Bill is low-lying but Isle of Wight has quite a lot of high ground. However it's to do with the distance to the horizon from wherever you're standing. From parts of Brighton I can imagine it's possible to be seen. (ie the higher bits). It's not a straightline thing as suggested by your map, however tongue it may be.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I have seen it from the top deck of a bus going up Dyke Rd Ave.

Another question: Can you see France from the high land east of Beachy Head above Eastbourne? On a bright clear spring day I was sure I could see the vague outline of distant cliffs to the south east.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I always thought you could see it from Dyke Road Park (always look out to sea that way on my way to Withdean). However is 70km away and Dyke Road Park is at 65m. The Isle of wight is 200m high, so you have an effective height of 265m. According to this graph, then, you shouldn't be able to see it. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IOW.JPG
    IOW.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 558

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Doubtful.

You can see 35km at a height of 100m. Isle of Wight must be 80km and the helter skelter was nowhere near 100m:

Distance to the Horizon Steve Sque, University of Exeter

As far as seeing the Isle of Wight from Brighton:

Can i see the isle of wight from brighton? - Yahoo! Answers

That fails to take into account the height of the object you are attempting to view... the hills on the East of the IOW are at something like 200m, which raises the distance you can see.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ah, apparently the above is the minimum distance and atmospheric diffraction can allow you to see further.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I've seen it loads of times going towards the Racecourse from Woodingdean. :thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have seen it from the top deck of a bus going up Dyke Rd Ave.

Another question: Can you see France from the high land east of Beachy Head above Eastbourne? On a bright clear spring day I was sure I could see the vague outline of distant cliffs to the south east.

Pushing it for a limit of visibility I would have thought.

The closest point in France to Beachy Head is to the east about 65 miles (about 100km) away.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have a book at home, to do with unusual weather, and there is a recorded instance of unusual weather (probably some sort of inversion) where the French coast was fully visible from the hills behind Hastings. Apparently individual coastal towns were visible with the naked eye.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I saw it tonight from Warren Rd, just west of Wilson Ave.

You can see it very clearly when the light it correct.

Sunset seems to be a very good time :thumbsup:

D

Deleted User X18H

Yep - it's a well-noted phenomenon that you can see the Isle of Wight from Brighton on a clear day; the best views are from the hills surrounding the city.

You can from the around the Dyke area. On a clear day.

D

Deleted User X18H

Was playing golf last month at hollingbury and my dad was my caddie. Got to the 4th tee and told my dad thats the isle of wight on the horizon so yes to the question.

Yep I have seen it for there as well. Early mornings are best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here