Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Isle of Wight in October

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Never been before.

Going with family (feat. 2 young children).

Any advice on best places to go? Many thanks.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For young kids, Blackgang Chine or Robin Hill, should be really quiet. Both outdoor, check weather forecast first :thumbsup:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Do you like garlic? Then I'd recommend the garlic farm. It gets a lot of stick but I like the IoW, mainly for cycling though.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Depending on kids ages, and where you're staying:

North/Central:
Monkey Haven is excellent and very handy for the ferry terminal at Fishbourne
Robin Hill is an incredible kids day out
Garlic Farm - kids can run around in fields and you can treat yourself to some expensive garlic infused things. They do excellent garlic bread, funnily enough

East:
Shanklin Beach & Chine
Dinosaur Isle near Sandown - small, cheap and good if it's raining

South:
Ventnor Beach
Blackgang Chine is fantastic, and you can get a double ticket with Robin Hill I think from memory

West:
Tapnell Park for a classic "farm that's not actually a farm" day out.
Dino Footprints on the beach soewhewre down here if you happen to be driving past - not worth a trip if you're not.
I'd personally swerve Alum Bay / Needles with very little ones, but it's a classic.

Make sure you eat lots of crab

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Depending on kids ages, and where you're staying:

North/Central:
Monkey Haven is excellent and very handy for the ferry terminal at Fishbourne
Robin Hill is an incredible kids day out
Garlic Farm - kids can run around in fields and you can treat yourself to some expensive garlic infused things. They do excellent garlic bread, funnily enough

East:
Shanklin Beach & Chine
Dinosaur Isle near Sandown - small, cheap and good if it's raining

South:
Ventnor Beach
Blackgang Chine is fantastic, and you can get a double ticket with Robin Hill I think from memory

West:
Tapnell Park for a classic "farm that's not actually a farm" day out.
Dino Footprints on the beach soewhewre down here if you happen to be driving past - not worth a trip if you're not.
I'd personally swerve Alum Bay / Needles with very little ones, but it's a classic.

Make sure you eat lots of crab

Great suggestions but North/West/East etc, if you're in a car I don't think it's possible for two places to be an hour apart and not much longer by bus :wink:

And for the more mature, I'd second Shanklyn Chine and add Ventnor Botanical Gardens and Godshill Model village :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I love the Isle of Wight, just for the easy going feel to the place and the fact that much is the same as it was 20 years ago when I first starting going with my now nearly gorwn up kids. Just planning a trip there myself with the youngest.

Personal favourites for me are:

Black Gang chine - better than Robin Hill in my view, lots to do in a quaint old fashioned way
Godshill - miniature village - cute
Garlic Farm - fun and interesting. Try the garlic ice cream.
Osbourne House - the house itself is nothing special inside, but the gardens are incredible and it has it's own beach looking back towards the mainland. The view here is worth the admission itself.

The only issue I always have with the Isle of Wight is finding half decent accommodation. Best you get on a hotel chain is Premier Inn which is okay, and then its B&B type places or self catering. Outside school time I guess there will be decent availability though so we may go during September, outside of European Tour stuff!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Do you like garlic? Then I'd recommend the garlic farm. It gets a lot of stick but I like the IoW, mainly for cycling though.

Not seeing much for the kids at a garlic farm...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't forget to change your money to pounds shillings and pence.
Plus your diphtheria and rickets vaccinations.

Only 3 TV channels can be a little problematic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here