Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ISIS not all its cracked up to be..

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Shukee Begum, 33, took her five children with her when she went to find her former Guantanamo Bay detainee husband Jamal al-Harith last August

Looks like letting him out was a mistake?
Or was he radicalised whilst detained

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Something that strikes me as odd about this......

"Despite successfully making the trip from Manchester with her children, now aged nine, seven, five, three and 11-months, Begum realised that Isis wasn’t for her."

Given that her former husband (former?) had been in Guantanamo Bay, and then swanned off to join ISIS (yes of course all those poor souls banged up in Guantanamo Bay were innocent, weren't they) just who's been fathering all these children over the last ten years?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
“I would love to go back to the UK,” she told Channel 4 News. “The UK is my home. I grew up there, my friends are there, my family are there."

Well why the **** did you fly out to join ISIS then?!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am actually skeptical that she has changed her views. After all you don't stay married to someone that long without potentially adopting their views. I think she poses an enormous risk to the UK if she comes back; however, what is the alternative. let her stay there and have another generation of her family brought up to fight for ISIS.

There is no solution to this issue. There really isn't

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I agree. She's not sure she'd be welcomed? The government should exhorting to come back and putting her in front of every media outlet there is - it should be a great propaganda coup. And, as you say, a chance for security services to get some first-hand information
Why would it be a propaganda coup? Do we need one ?Do you really think that recruits to ISIS DONT know what its like there ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Shukee Begum, 33, took her five children with her when she went to find her former Guantanamo Bay detainee husband Jamal al-Harith last August

Looks like letting him out was a mistake?
Or was he radicalised whilst detained
yes must have been radicalised while detained , he was on a ''religious holiday'' to quetta (like you do) on the afghan border when he was arrested.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why would it be a propaganda coup? Do we need one ?Do you really think that recruits to ISIS DONT know what its like there ?

I think that's exactly the case for most of them. They get radicalised, brainwashed, fed some romantic notion about fighting against the infidels and rock up thinking they're joining some heroic crusade for Islam. Then they wind up squatting in some barren stinking dustbowl mixing halal hummus and washing Ahmad's shit-encrusted skiddies, and start thinking "hmm...this wasn't in the brochure".

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
For possibly the first time in my life I agree with [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION].

There are lines that you cross and taking your five kids into a warzone to reconcile with their jihadist father is at best stupid and reckless. Even if she's telling the truth, she's crossed a line imo.

'Propaganda coup' has to be one of the most insane things I've ever heard btw.

Furthermore, outside of provoking fear and paranoia, I really don't get the fuss that is made about people going and joining IS. Let 'em go and don't let 'em back. We're all better off without people of that fundamentalist mindset, ESPECIALLY the Muslim community.

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
For possibly the first time in my life I agree with [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION].

There are lines that you cross and taking your five kids into a warzone to reconcile with their jihadist father is at best stupid and reckless. Even if she's telling the truth, she's crossed a line imo.

'Propaganda coup' has to be one of the most insane things I've ever heard btw.

Furthermore, outside of provoking fear and paranoia, I really don't get the fuss that is made about people going and joining IS. Let 'em go and don't let 'em back. We're all better off without people of that fundamentalist mindset, ESPECIALLY the Muslim community.

Quite right, I wouldn't have an issue if we provided transport for all those who wish to go, let's get rid of them all and get it done. Might free up a load of council houses for all the thousands of Syrians who'll be arriving in the next few years.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A very sad tale.

I hope she is back with her family soon and that she can share lessons with others as to what things are like out there and how she found herself in the position she did. Clearly she takes responsibility for her own actions, but she can also help to spread a message about the real character of ISIS in our communities.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A very sad tale.

I hope she is back with her family soon and that she can share lessons with others as to what things are like out there and how she found herself in the position she did. Clearly she takes responsibility for her own actions, but she can also help to spread a message about the real character of ISIS in our communities.

:facepalm:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A very sad tale.

Yeah, bless ....................

Stumpy Tim

I think that's exactly the case for most of them. They get radicalised, brainwashed, fed some romantic notion about fighting against the infidels and rock up thinking they're joining some heroic crusade for Islam. Then they wind up squatting in some barren stinking dustbowl mixing halal hummus and washing Ahmad's shit-encrusted skiddies, and start thinking "hmm...this wasn't in the brochure".

Don't forget the glory of allowing her five, seven or nine year olds to marry a 50 year old bloke. Another lovely romantic notion that may not have occurred to her.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
If idiots like her seriously need to head over, dragging their children with them to discover what life really is like in the glorious caliphate, before deciding it's not really for them, then I would suggest a mental hospital rather than a prison would be the best place

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Does this woman not watch the news then?

Taking her kids to that place, she's a ****ing idiot.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If idiots like her seriously need to head over, dragging their children with them to discover what life really is like in the glorious caliphate, before deciding it's not really for them, then I would suggest a mental hospital rather than a prison would be the best place

Perhaps such stories will help to challenge the cultural norms where wives naturally follow their husband's wishes. Any story like this that can help influence behaviour in a community for the better has to be good. I don't think it means we should turn our back on her. Instead, look at the positive messages for others that can be shared from this story. This can influence future behaviour and attitudes.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
This woman went to join an organisation, on whose behalf British tourists were massacred on a beach, and she wants to be welcomed back. I hope she is, by some of the relatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here