Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is YOUR livelihood threatened by Coronavirus (almost certainly a depressing thread)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I am retired, but my pension fund has taken a very substantial bashing and as a result, I shall be taking a lower pension this year. I think it may be quite some time before stockmarkets recover.
My wife has her own business in the fitness industry. Various restrictions have meant that she can no longer work for the forseeable future, so her income is now zero.
Fortunately, we have the resources to draw on to see us through.
My eldest son is a supply teacher so he is at the mercy of a decision on school closures. No school =no pay.
Younger boy works for a large international company in London and is ok.
Daughter is self employed and fingers crossed is ok so far. Her other half is an electrician and again, ok at the moment.
Various other young relatives, some employees and some self employed are in far more precarious positions and we just hope that they can get through.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Pretty much anyone in the Public Sector (Teachers, Police, Army, Council workers etc.) will be unaffected financially - in fact there will be substantial overtime available for the Police.

Never generalise like this. My daughter is a supply teacher and her income disappears immediately. Apart from that she is an actor so.....

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
PHP:

Maybe a substantial fall in house prices - no bad thing IMO.

I think this is too simplistic a view. Loads of people getting into negative equity and private landlords leaving the market (reduced supply) as they cant make a profit does not help anyone. The answer to the housing crisis is more suppy of houses (particulalry at the lower end), not an arbitary adjustment of the market prices.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone looking for work - Tesco have said they will be putting up temporary jobs for many of their stores.

They are desperate for resource - tesco-careers.com - which is struggling but keep an eye on it

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pretty much anyone in the Public Sector (Teachers, Police, Army, Council workers etc.) will be unaffected financially - in fact there will be substantial overtime available for the Police.

You’re quite right. 5 million public sector workers on secure employment contracts, will see no fall in income.

Many NSC’ers going by posts, including myself, either work in or have a partner in such a public sector position.

Separately, Unison estimate that there are 0.5 million public sector workers paid on an hourly basis or on fixed term contracts.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Yes. As a professional in the Construction Industry, my Company has been affected by Brexit delaying decision making by Clients in moving forwards with projects; the Grenfell situation which has lead to a five-fold increase in our Professional Indemnity Insurance renewal this year (wiping out most of our profit for the year) and the current situation now makes an ongoing hand-to-mouth business existence even more difficult to navigate.
That's my profession too - fortunately I've worked largely within science and research sector, exclusively so over the last 4 years and involved in sites at the forefront of what we are experiencing now.

Difficult to judge what the industry will experience, perhaps the Tories will change their habits and actually invest in health, research etc over a consistent period. Previously their focus was on higher ed for science and research and screwing the NHS. Fingers crossed they somehow manage to do the right thing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Double edged sword for me. I work in safe houses and women’s refuges so our jobs are secure as we are key workers and have to look after the residents and clients no matter what. On the other hand I would dearly love to be tucked up safely at home. Instead we face the prospect of having to live in one of our houses in two week rotations for the foreseeable , if the virus gets in. Which is pretty much guaranteed to happen.
Got an isolation bag packed with clothes, books, laptop, food etc in to last two weeks.
Getting together enough non-perishable food for two weeks was frustrating with all the boarders stripping the shelves but had some stocks in and cobbling together what I could from various shops I think I should be okay. Hopefully will get food deliveries too but how much and of what quality is unknown.
I’m on annual leave right now but back in next week and I’m very anxious as to how it’s all going to pan out. But we have a legal obligation to go to work so I’m consoling myself with the fact we have no choice.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Except that council workers now rely on the councils raising money through things like business rates (reduced/none for the time being), car parks, information centres, running events, leisure centres, cafes - and so on. 50% of my local authority's money comes this way. All this will go - so we're going to have another huge drop in finance, on top of 10 years of cuts that we were just about beginning to manage. That means job losses. So - not all public sector workers will be unaffected, it will just be delayed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Except that council workers now rely on the councils raising money through things like business rates (reduced/none for the time being), car parks, information centres, running events, leisure centres, cafes - and so on. 50% of my local authority's money comes this way. All this will go - so we're going to have another huge drop in finance, on top of 10 years of cuts that we were just about beginning to manage. That means job losses. So - not all public sector workers will be unaffected, it will just be delayed.

It would be exceptionally cruel if at the end of all this the government turned round to us and said “thanks for your help, we are laying 40% of you off”.
That would be the final insult and I for one would never look for a job as a key worker again, despite it being all I am trained to do.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
IT Contractor who can luckily WFH for the duration of my current contract until June. TBH the market for contractors was fairly dire before that so no idea how I will get on after that. The IR35 changes in the private sector have been delayed a year though.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Forced 25% pay cut till year end for me. Great timing now i have just tripled my mortgage and have a baby due in may but it is what it is and i could be a lot worse.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I work for a company that works in the planning/development sector (5,000 worldwide, several thousand UK based). No new appointments in the past three of weeks for my team, some projects put on indefinite hold in the past week and others we can't currently work on as they involve site visits/surveys.

Things can't carry on like this for very long.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Although I am a key worker, I'm one who can't WFH as we've physically run out of equipment to supply everybody at the company I now work for. I've had it confirmed today I will continue to be paid in full, though for how long I don't know, as this will inevitably have to be reviewed as this all evolves.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yep.

The Japanese government closed all the schools in Japan for March. Which is a bit of a bugger because my company utlilises their facilities. We're alright for this month but if the schools don't open in April we'll be in dire straits. And I hated having to listen to their best of in the car as a kid, being in them would be unbearable...

Annnnnddddd......

I'm unemployed. For the 'forseeable future'.

Come on Abe, lockdown Japan and get the pain out the way now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here