Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Is your life worth more than a 2 year suspended prison sentence?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Liike you said the driver had money so less guilty than if he was poor

This is the Society we live in now I am sad to say.

With the type of people we have as Heads of Government here and the US - Society seems to Value the Rich and Guilty more than the Poor and Innocent.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sorry I know this offends some of you, I promise I will try and cheer some of you up soon by finding a dead pedestrian, but in the meantime:-

Dr Suzanna Bull: Lorry company to be closed after cyclist's death
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54029112

Driver jailed (21 months) a form of justice appears to have been served, so I wouldn't be bringing this up, were it not for this

His trial heard he had a tray table on his dashboard and the clutter had obstructed his view.

View attachment 128053

Oh my fudging days, what chance does any of us have?

One thing that surprise me looking at that photo, how the **** has he not been pulled over by DVSA.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
59 in a 40 is indefensible, yet I see that happen all the time. We have a 30 road round the corner and people frequently do 50 or 60 on it. Last year, a car lost control and went into someone's house.

The thing is, if sentences are made stiffer for excessive speeding, I doubt whether we would actually see a drop in fatalities. A bit like how the death penalty in the US hasn't deterred gun crime.

The problem as I see it is that modern cars drive so well at speed that it is too easy to do and sometimes the driver does not even realise they're doing it.

How much is a damaged wall worth?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1303223641921007621[/tweet]

That'll learn him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If he goes to prison what is the impact on his 15-year-old son was a question the judge asked.

https://road.cc/content/news/wife-traumatised-drivers-lenient-sentence-277085

Wendy Satherwaite commented: “The family had very justifiable expectations of a fair and honest sentencing decision in respect of a much loved and irreplaceable member of our family who was killed on 22 December, 2018.

"This did not happen. The judge handed out a totally inadequate sentence - six months, suspended for two years and 250 hours community service to a driver who killed a totally innocent cyclist in a most violent and cruel way.

Anthony suffered horrendous injuries. All of this was deemed less important than the psychological effects on the Defendant’s son and his career. This decision has left the family totally traumatised and is one we cannot come to terms with.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
https://road.cc/content/news/wife-traumatised-drivers-lenient-sentence-277085

Wendy Satherwaite commented: “The family had very justifiable expectations of a fair and honest sentencing decision in respect of a much loved and irreplaceable member of our family who was killed on 22 December, 2018.

"This did not happen. The judge handed out a totally inadequate sentence - six months, suspended for two years and 250 hours community service to a driver who killed a totally innocent cyclist in a most violent and cruel way.

Anthony suffered horrendous injuries. All of this was deemed less important than the psychological effects on the Defendant’s son and his career. This decision has left the family totally traumatised and is one we cannot come to terms with.

I'm not questioning the genuine pain and anger that the family feel Stat, nor whether what this driver did was right or wrong. I was just pointing out how the law worked and begging the question, 'do we think the law values life'?

He was driving at 59 mph in a 40 mph area. Well, if you want to see motorists breaking the law, then just pop down the Upper Shoreham Road in Portslade and wait 5-minutes. You'll see dozens or potential murderers drive past.

Have I ever broken the speed limit? Yes. Am I alone? No. This board is probably full of potential murderers.

As I suggested in another thread, make every motorist also take a cycling proficiency test before they pass their test. Even better, put GPS trackers in cars and ensure that the speed is fixed to a maximum according to location on a road.

The judge has had to make a judgement call. Sometimes judges get it wrong. But that call takes into account all the evidence and context.

On this board we do tend to act all pious and innocent and then rush to judgement without having had the benefit of sifting through all the evidence, considering context and knowing the law.

That's all. I have no argument with you.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He was driving at 59 mph in a 40 mph area. Well, if you want to see motorists breaking the law, then just pop down the Upper Shoreham Road in Portslade and wait 5-minutes. You'll see dozens or potential murderers drive past.

Have I ever broken the speed limit? Yes. Am I alone? No. This board is probably full of potential murderers.

As I suggested in another thread, make every motorist also take a cycling proficiency test before they pass their test. Even better, put GPS trackers in cars and ensure that the speed is fixed to a maximum according to location on a road.

When I see comments like this, it just reads like an attempt to absolve drivers of responsibility for speeding. Everyone does it. Get some device to stop them (because they can't be trusted/expected to control their own speed). Don't clamp down on it, don't punish people severely for it when no one is hurt, I mean, no one was hurt! But it's also unfair to punish someone severely when someone is hurt, since they wouldn't be punished if no one was hurt. It's unfair that I can speed and not be punished for it, and this guy is punished for doing the same thing as me only he happened to have an accident, it could have been any of us, and none of us want to be imprisoned, but neither do we want to stop speeding. I mean, we want to get places quicker. And we're better drivers than him, it won't happen to us...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
When I see comments like this, it just reads like an attempt to absolve drivers of responsibility for speeding. Everyone does it. Get some device to stop them (because they can't be trusted/expected to control their own speed). Don't clamp down on it, don't punish people severely for it when no one is hurt, I mean, no one was hurt! But it's also unfair to punish someone severely when someone is hurt, since they wouldn't be punished if no one was hurt. It's unfair that I can speed and not be punished for it, and this guy is punished for doing the same thing as me only he happened to have an accident, it could have been any of us, and none of us want to be imprisoned, but neither do we want to stop speeding. I mean, we want to get places quicker. And we're better drivers than him, it won't happen to us...

Then you want to read more carefully, as I haven't said any of that in any of the posts I've made, but thank you for your comment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1303299376589295616[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here