Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this why Barnes/Dicker/Hammond keep getting abuse?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
from another thread....
Yep. Another amusing to-and-fro with his buddy went like this:

"F**k sake Barnes you've got the touch of a f**king rapist"

"That was Lopez."

"Oh."

I've also heard people around me shouting abuse at a player for some poor play and thought 'that wasn't xxxx'. Perhaps some people are so anti one person that they mentally associate any poor play with that person - especially if there's a few of them together. I'd say the only one that doesn't get this is CMS - as he's more easily identifyable.

I certainly can't agree that Barnes/Dicker/Hammond/Crofts/Greer are consistently poor. They all make mistakes - but not many more than the average. Oh, and Bridcutt also makes a few.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Eyesight does seem to be a problem all around the ground, somebody behind we was astounded Barnes missed the sitter early in the second half, until it was pointed out the defender got a touch first, hence the corner

toff79

Aug 8, 2011
people round me were sure olandi got the first goal even after hearing it announced as Barnes and the reply on the big screen which only seemed to confirm it to them yep definitely olandi they said, after I informed them it was Barnes i could hear them trying to check the phones to make sure, im pretty sure that even now the think olandi got the first goal

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
This is a common thing for me to. New bloke behing me in ESU for last two games. He claims everything good is by Orlandi and blames Barnes and David for everything wrong. He seemed to be claiming that Orlandi played the ball down the line and scored the first goal

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
people round me were sure olandi got the first goal even after hearing it announced as Barnes and the reply on the big screen which only seemed to confirm it to them yep definitely olandi they said, after I informed them it was Barnes i could hear them trying to check the phones to make sure, im pretty sure that even now the think olandi got the first goal

Probably because Orlandi was put on the big screens straight after the goal, and a while before the replay was shown

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Who is Olandi? :jester:

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Yep,

Noticed this too, was going to post a thread but decided against it just in case I was imagining things. However up in the WSU I constantly hear people complaining saying Barnes has done something even if he not anywhere the ball. In fact, a couple of matches ago I heard Barnes get blamed for something Lua Lua done. Clear some people need glasses!

Yep,

Noticed this too, was going to post a thread but decided against it just in case I was imagining things. However up in the WSU I constantly hear people complaining saying Barnes has done something even if he not anywhere the ball. In fact, a couple of matches ago I heard Barnes get blamed for something Lua Lua done. Clear some people need glasses!

I have to say that from up there I struggle to identify the players, although I haven't as yet mistook Lua Lua for anyone else.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My eyesight a terrible get players mixed up all the time, Barnes and Hammond mostly and Abd and Bruno a lot as well.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
from another thread....

I've also heard people around me shouting abuse at a player for some poor play and thought 'that wasn't xxxx'. Perhaps some people are so anti one person that they mentally associate any poor play with that person - especially if there's a few of them together. I'd say the only one that doesn't get this is CMS - as he's more easily identifyable.

I certainly can't agree that Barnes/Dicker/Hammond/Crofts/Greer are consistently poor. They all make mistakes - but not many more than the average. Oh, and Bridcutt also makes a few.

Yes I think you're right. Although conversely, I had this example on Saturday:

"Great clearance Greer AGAIN, I tell you what, that's two massive headers in a row he's done there"

"Er... Both were Barnes"

"What's HE doing back there?! He should be up front!!"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

When I saw the goal I thought Barnes. Then Orlandi seemed to run over and celebrate with Lopez and they were shown to be celebrating, it confused me and my friends, until the announcement came and the ball appeared next to Barnes' name.

And the confusion of identity has been there a while. I mentioned in another thread an occasion from last season that has always stuck with me, where someone criticised Barnes for his poor delivery from the corner that he didn't take, and then the same person criticised him for not meeting the ball someone else was near, and then for skying the shot that eventually came from someone else.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
No one is perfect. I think Orlandi is a lovely player, but in spite of his two goals in the last two games he's been the one losing the ball more than anyone else and doesn't seem in full flow at the minute since injury. We have the faith that he has it in him though and grade him thanks to that more than his performances. Barnes was excellent on Saturday, but no one can give him more than an 8 out of 10 because of a standard dislike and lack of belief in him by some of the grumpier grumblers out there. We're best off making our own minds up and not being influenced by those who just so happen to say more than others, generally acerbically, at a higher decibel. Don't be afraid to like Barnes or treat a statement of just expressing that admiration as a defense of him against those who snarl and gripe without remorse, i suppose.
Those people who spend a match whingeing seem to me have difficulty release their rage in everyday life and treat a matchday situation as an excuse to let it go and really let rip at some players who are honestly trying their best. Generally, they're cocks.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No one is perfect. I think Orlandi is a lovely player, but in spite of his two goals in the last two games he's been the one losing the ball more than anyone else and doesn't seem in full flow at the minute since injury. We have the faith that he has it in him though and grade him thanks to that more than his performances. Barnes was excellent on Saturday, but no one can give him more than an 8 out of 10 because of a standard dislike and lack of belief in him by some of the grumpier grumblers out there. We're best off making our own minds up and not being influenced by those who just so happen to say more than others, generally acerbically, at a higher decibel. Don't be afraid to like Barnes or treat a statement of just expressing that admiration as a defense of him against those who snarl and gripe without remorse, i suppose.
Those people who spend a match whingeing seem to me have difficulty release their rage in everyday life and treat a matchday situation as an excuse to let it go and really let rip at some players who are honestly trying their best. Generally, they're cocks.

MB is the WISE MAN of NSC :smile:

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I have to say that from up there I struggle to identify the players, although I haven't as yet mistook Lua Lua for anyone else.

Im in the WSU - I often get Bruno and EL Abd mixed, Greer and Dunk, Barnes and Orlandi, and even Buckley and Bridge.... believe me, its not always clear from that high up... unless I can see the numbers. Its the one thing I miss about WIthdean, that I was nearer the pitch - although it was the South Stand, I was in row E, so was much closer than I have been for the last season and a half.

Dont get me wrong, Im not asking for a return to the Withdean! But I do get certain players mixed up...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here