Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the worst name ever for a Chinese restaurant?

Seasider

Jul 9, 2003
Maidenhead
Personally I like the name of this company

313VKPGKZXL._SL500_AA267_.jpg

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I heard a lovely story about Heerlen, which is reputed to be the town with the biggest drugs problem in the whole country. Apparently they were expecting a Royal visit, on the day in question the local authorities rounded up all the junkies, put them on a bus and sent them to the zoo for the day...a bit of a bizarre way to clean the streets up!!!

I can believe that. Heerlen has always been what I would consider "a bit of a dump", and I try to go there as rarely as possible (some nice countryside round there though).

A conversation one of my former colleagues had with a local over a beer during Carnaval a few years back sums up the parochial nature of most places in South Limburg (except Maastricht):

Her: I like living in Maastricht because you get to meet people from all over the world.
Yokel: Well I like living in Sittard, because everyone you meet is from Sittard.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I can believe that. Heerlen has always been what I would consider "a bit of a dump", and I try to go there as rarely as possible (some nice countryside round there though).

A conversation one of my former colleagues had with a local over a beer during Carnaval a few years back sums up the parochial nature of most places in South Limburg (except Maastricht):

Her: I like living in Maastricht because you get to meet people from all over the world.
Yokel: Well I like living in Sittard, because everyone you meet is from Sittard.

That sounds pretty fair, Maastricht certainly has an international feel to it but there are definitely bars where only real "Mestreechtenaars" are welcome, only the local "dialek" is spoken and they turn their noses up at outsiders. You are totally right about Heerlen being a bit of a dump, there is a nasty side to the place that is absent from most towns in the area, being a foreigner is likely to get you in trouble...best avoided.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
isnt there a "City Noodles" somewhere in London. or maybe its just from a joke.

second thoughts its a Southpark gag isnt it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's a takeaway in Guildford called "Mings" - and believe me it does;)

I have a feeling there's a Mings on Warren Road, Woodingdean, too.

Anyone with local knowledge care to confirm if it lives up to its name?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here