Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Is this the start of a UK 'Stop the kindermoord' movement?

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
BBC radio 4 12.30 to 1 pm today 22/6 .
sliced bread , a programme about cycle helmets . Worth a listen.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
If you want to know what car culture is advocate for speed restricters on cars like they have on lorries and watch the car brigade explode.

As for the lets be like these cool foreigners shtick dressed as general concern ,we are not Holland. The only thing in common is insanely high population density which puts a strain on all forms of transport. Except it should make it easier for public transport to be profitable, and yet it never is.

When you let rail drivers unions hold a knife to the throat of consumers to achieve wages way above training and skill levels you begin to see the political junket for what it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Labour's Brighton and Hove Council have now shelved the Active Travel proposal they fought for while in opposition.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd recommend watching this guy's videos on the subject of poor, car-centric, urban design: https://www.youtube.com/c/notjustbikes
He moved from Canada to The Netherlands and documents his experiences in European cities compared to the cities over here in North America. He does sometimes take it a little far but it's hard to disagree with his assessment of what makes a city nice to live and travel around in.

Toronto is terrible for this. There are so many stories of people getting hit by cars and it mainly comes down to the way the streets are designed and how it encourages bad driving. The fact cars (or giant pickup trucks) are allowed to turn right on a red light, across an active pedestrian crossing, is just wild to me. They're supposed to stop at the red light, check the crossing is completely clear, then turn carefully. Of course that's not the reality and half the time I'm just about to step on to the crossing when a car comes flying around the corner after the light has changed.

As for bike lanes, there are very few proper ones. My favourite is when they literally just paint a bike icon on the side of the road without even painting a separated line. Then people kick up a fuss when they add a protected bike line to a road, taking up valuable driving and parking space. It's a grid city, you can drive on the next street over which doesn't have a bike lane.

I much prefer being a pedestrian or cyclist in Brighton. The UK has much less of a car culture than we have over here.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Dutch do have a much better public transport network than us.

Fantastic double decker trains and very extensive rail network.

And wouldn’t it be great if we had similar options in this country
In terms of double-decker trains, won’t happen. They tried it in the 1950s as effectively 1.5 decker and they were a bit of a disaster. The UK loading gauge is considerably smaller than it is in Europe, mostly because they had the “luxury” of being able to start from a blank sheet of paper in 1945 while we patched up the Victorian infrastructure and carried on. We’d have to rebuild almost every bridge / tunnel for it to work.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Stop the Kindermoord Movement, along with the fuel crisis, is what transformed The Netherlands away from car culture, in the early '70's.

Stop the kindermoord was a groundswell movement of parents (mother's) who'd had enough of cars ploughing into children.
They demonstrated, blocked roads, lobbied and protested and won.

Unlike the anti LTN protests, this first protest appears to have cross section support of the local community.

Driving illegally towards a 'stop driving illegally' protest probably isn't going to end well...

... For the driver.

Coincidence?

In terms of double-decker trains, won’t happen. They tried it in the 1950s as effectively 1.5 decker and they were a bit of a disaster. The UK loading gauge is considerably smaller than it is in Europe, mostly because they had the “luxury” of being able to start from a blank sheet of paper in 1945 while we patched up the Victorian infrastructure and carried on. We’d have to rebuild almost every bridge / tunnel for it to work.
There are one or 2 carriages saved and being restored somewhere - I think there were only 2x4 car units built.

A very long time ago I did see one in a siding at Ashford railway centre and confirm that the upstairs bit was very cramped. Mother in Law actually rode in the units when they were in service on one of the North Kent suburban routes just post war. She confirmed their cramped accommodation and that this impacted the station dwell times which rather defeated their object.

And here is a pic. ......I'll get me anorak and tupperware sandwich box :)
Class_4DD_no_4902_at_Ashford_Steam_Centre.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here