Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is this the slowest transfer window yet?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Depends on whether the board think relegation is a more attractive financial option than paying the going rate to avoid it :shrug:

Errr... you do know how much Prem football is worth? And that our business model meant big losses in the Championship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Errr... you do know how much Prem football is worth? And that our business model meant big losses in the Championship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how to break this to you but we are trying to do it on the cheap. Has that not registered with you yet? :wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure how to break this to you but we are trying to do it on the cheap. Has that not registered with you yet? :wink:

This. The club is not 'doing it on the cheap' in any normally understood sense of the term. But in terms of the ever-snowballing finances of the PL, that's EXACTLY what we're doing. And becoming progressively more adrift of the going rate in the process. Hard to see how the club's ever going to square the circle on this one sadly.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. The club is not 'doing it on the cheap' in any normally understood sense of the term. But in terms of the ever-snowballing finances of the PL, that's EXACTLY what we're doing. And becoming progressively more adrift of the going rate in the process. Hard to see how the club's ever going to square the circle on this one sadly.

This.

Should the club make next to no significant signings in the next couple of weeks, and yet finish mid-table in PL, then hats off to TB and GP for pulling off a minor miracle. Proving me and many others wrong, from following a different strategy to virtually every other PL club.

But seeing is believing.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
This.

Should the club make next to no significant signings in the next couple of weeks, and yet finish mid-table in PL, then hats off to TB and GP for pulling off a minor miracle. Proving me and many others wrong, from following a different strategy to virtually every other PL club.

But seeing is believing.
We currently have a weaker squad than last season when narrowly avoiding relegation, so it would be indeed a major gamble if believing that squad will survive with just a new manager

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
At first, I thought we were being patient and felt we had enough time. Now, I’m beginning to get concerned that it isn’t just a slow transfer window is at least, but we’re not being as active as we should given some evidential deficiencies in the squad.

I just hope the football is better than last season to soften the blow of relegation.

You want to see what Roy Hodgson has just said about Palace's transfer window. A right old tale of woe even if (as looks unlikely) Zaha stays.
Albion don't like their managers giving interviews like this and they never comment on transfer windows.Would you prefer it if they did ?

"We've been [looking for signings] since the start of pre season. We definitely need players. Our squad is small.
There's no doubt that we need players.
Our chairman is working hard. [on this]
I'm confident that before the start of the season the squad will look stronger and bigger.
We need to replace RB and LB - that need dealing with .
We are hoping to improve our team and compensate for the loss of Wan Bissaka"

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
You want to see what Roy Hodgson has just said about Palace's transfer window. A right old tale of woe even if (as looks unlikely) Zaha stays.
Albion don't like their managers giving interviews like this and they never comment on transfer windows.Would you prefer it if they did ?

"We've been [looking for signings] since the start of pre season. We definitely need players. Our squad is small.
There's no doubt that we need players.
Our chairman is working hard. [on this]
I'm confident that before the start of the season the squad will look stronger and bigger.
We need to replace RB and LB - that need dealing with .
We are hoping to improve our team and compensate for the loss of Wan Bissaka"

I have no interest in palace’s transfer business. So no, I had not. Neither am I saying Potter should come out and say where we need to improve. But there are obvious ones

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We currently have a weaker squad than last season when narrowly avoiding relegation, so it would be indeed a major gamble if believing that squad will survive with just a new manager

Agreed. Lets' hope the club have not been lulled into a false sense of security by the victory today.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This.

But seeing is believing.

This.
I feel bad for Potter.
There seems to be an expectation from many that with Hughton gone, we are going to improve on last season’s position AND play sexy football AND blood the kids.
Even if we spent £150m that would be difficult to achieve, as it is we’ve invested much less.
I have massive concerns about this season, in particular the first couple of months.
Make no mistake, we need a big end to the window.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This.
I feel bad for Potter.
There seems to be an expectation from many that with Hughton gone, we are going to improve on last season’s position AND play sexy football AND blood the kids.
Even if we spent £150m that would be difficult to achieve, as it is we’ve invested much less.
I have massive concerns about this season, in particular the first couple of months.
Make no mistake, we need a big end to the window.

IF we don’t sign anyone else for the first team, perhaps GP is very confident in his coaching, with a tactical approach that will catch our opponents out? I’ll nickname him ‘The Alchemist’ if he pulled that off over a PL season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we are 'going cheap' this window, then best just drop the number of signings down from 2-3 to 1-2 and concentrate the cash on fewer players rather than spread it thin.

If Murray or Montoya gets injured we look in big trouble.

Last edited:

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I've heard a few people say this. Why is the squad weaker than last year?

It isn't. It's actually stronger, but it seems the popular opinion to ignore this and moan about not signing a striker.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
IF we don’t sign anyone else for the first team, perhaps GP is very confident in his coaching, with a tactical approach that will catch our opponents out? I’ll nickname him ‘The Alchemist’ if he pulled that off over a PL season.

This seems to be what we are counting on.
Mental.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Agreed. Lets' hope the club have not been lulled into a false sense of security by the victory today.

Let's hope not, although there was what appeared better movement and understanding, Birmingham looked to me like possible Championship relegation candidates. The problem will be when we start premiship matches and we get outplayed in the middle of the park and run ragged down the flanks. After the window has closed and too late to strengthen

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
bruno, and murray a year older

Trossard, Clarke, Baluta and Taylor in. Trossard looks ready to step right in and the others may have a part to play. Several young players maturing to be on the fringes of the first team. Multiple players with a year's more experience in the PL.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Let's hope not, although there was what appeared better movement and understanding, Birmingham looked to me like possible Championship relegation candidates. The problem will be when we start premiship matches and we get outplayed in the middle of the park and run ragged down the flanks. After the window has closed and too late to strengthen

You really think the club will judge our readiness based on a friendly with Birmingham?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here