Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is this the slowest transfer window yet?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Trossard, Clarke, Baluta and Taylor in. Trossard looks ready to step right in and the others may have a part to play. Several young players maturing to be on the fringes of the first team. Multiple players with a year's more experience in the PL.

yeah. don't get me wrong, i am more than happy with magicarrypotterball; i have great faith in the recruitment team; but, always greedy for shiny new signings. rb essential, cm then, cf, imho, of course

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
My guess is we will "go large" on two £20m plus signings in last few days of transfer window, one striker, one midfielder

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Not sure how to break this to you but we are trying to do it on the cheap. Has that not registered with you yet? :wink:

We shall see. On the cheap, really!? Well over £100m spent over last two summers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
How is it stronger? We have sold the winger who who had the greatest impact on goals scored and our captain and right back and recruited a div 1 player and someone from the Belgian league who has no English or elite league top flight experience. We still haven't replaced Bruno at all.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It isn't. It's actually stronger, but it seems the popular opinion to ignore this and moan about not signing a striker.

In this case, it's a popular opinion that our squad is weaker, because our squad is weaker.

It's really not difficult to figure out the how and why, so you're either blinkered or haven't been keeping up.

It may only be slightly, but considering the precarious nature of our survival last season I would say that the concern is justified.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
In this case, it's a popular opinion that our squad is weaker, because our squad is weaker.

It's really not difficult to figure out the how and why, so you're either blinkered or haven't been keeping up.

It may only be slightly, but considering the precarious nature of our survival last season I would say that the concern is justified.

Hell, guess I need it spelling out to me...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
At the moment it is looking like Leon Balogun.

30 games at right back in the Bundesliga.

Add another 29 in Bundesliga 2.

I'm sure Potter will have a defensive back 4 up his sleeve for some of our tougher away games against the likes of City and Liverpool. I'd not be too worried to see Balogun at right back in games where we'd not be in the opposition half much. 8-10 starts this season should be about right for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Based on a friendly against a team likely to get relegated from the championship? I hope he is but we have no idea.

Perhaps not 'better' maybe 'more suited'. :shrug:

When 'it' happened I was looking back on some of AK's highlights reels.
One in particular seemed to have been compiled by a person who loved AK's mazey runs.

Even though I'd highlighted those as a plus and minus about his game, seeing them all together with the minimal end product was still an eye opener.

How many players did Trossard physically beat yesterday?
How many players did Trossard beat with the ball?
(genuine question I didn't watch much of the game after 30 minutes or so)

I think we all know how the game would have panned out if AK was wearing 11.

He'd have hurried and harassed, ran at, round and through their defence.
He might have scored, he might have set one up, he might have looked brilliant.

But he would have had the ball at his feet for, roughly, a bazillion times longer than Trossard to do exactly the same.
Worse still his style of play would have negated all the positivity that's currently being written about the 'unshackled attacking playing style'.
Instead we'd be back to 'thank god for AK, he was the only one who wanted to get at them'.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyhoo before I so rudely interrupted myself, the point I was going to make was:-

The Premier League must have shown interest in 50 maybe even 100+ players.
Shirley a percentage of them would have thought, as seemingly Trossard did, 'I need this move asap, I need to get settled quickly with a good preseason - this is my chance'.

You'd have thought that would at least have got the ball rolling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here