Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this really necessary in the UK?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I see NSC's most exasperated man is back!

Unless you are black I think it is hard to comment one way or the other.
You just don't like hearing the truth , and it exasperates you that you're totally and utterly unqualified to argue against any points I make.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there may be a cause to justify protest and complaint in this country, for incidents that occur in this country. thats not a good reason to hijack a foreign cause and slogan though, it may even devalue it somewhat because it does come across as so much more virtue signalling.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I've just got back from Dallas and there cops were wearing wristbands with "Blue lives matter" written on it . I found this actually quite over the top . Surely a group "all lives matter" would be best .

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You just don't like hearing the truth , and it exasperates you that you're totally and utterly unqualified to argue against any points I make.

If the world was divided between tolerant and intolerant people then both halves would contain representatives of every race and creed and, like it or not, you would be segregated into the half that exclusively harboured all the haters, inciters, xenophobes, extremists and terrorists.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I dated a Caribbean girl a few years back and most of her friends were black, it was my first real experience of spending any length of time with anyone other than white English people and it was not a pleasant experience at all.
I'm not generalising as I know everyone is different, but her group of friends had a major chip on their shoulders about us white folk.

My ex-wife is black. I agree with your point entirely based on my direct experiences too. Racism does work both ways, but not all those connected to my wife had the chip on their shoulder and neither of us felt self conscious about being a mixed raced race couple either.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

No, really it isn't. You just look at the evidence and form an opinion. Or are you only allowed an opinion if you feel victimised?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If the world was divided between tolerant and intolerant people then both halves would contain representatives of every race and creed and, like it or not, you would be segregated into the half that exclusively harboured all the haters, inciters, xenophobes, extremists and terrorists.
Oh no, my day is ruined.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If anyone thinks there isn't black on white racism they should've tried going to a big London comprehensive in the late 70s early 80s.

So a situation from 35 years ago is why it must be happening today. If it is please post a more current example.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Indeed, and often the areas with the lowers levels of migration were those to vote for Brexit.

Is this a fact or assertion ? Genuine question as I don't know the answer. I was under the impression that amongst the biggest votes for Brexit were East Anglia, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and East Midlands which have had the biggest immigration levels.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is this a fact or assertion ? Genuine question as I don't know the answer. I was under the impression that amongst the biggest votes for Brexit were East Anglia, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and East Midlands which have had the biggest immigration levels.

you're not wrong, but Brexit also polled big in the southern, white shires too. it was summed somewhere as those areas that had recent (not long term) immigration and those that had little to none that fear the effects of immigration most were those in favour of Brexit.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Perspective on racism perhaps depends on how well travelled you are. I have spent many years living abroad including in South East Asia and from my experience what is called racism in this country is nothing compared to elsewhere. I have some friends from Singapore, he is a muslim, she is a Hindu. This is quite unusual out there. Added to this she is much darker skinned than he. She experiences racism from his family ! Recently they went on holiday to his native Sri Lanka where she was routinely called a monkey in the villages. I do not think this would happen in the UK. In many societies around the world racism is ingrained in the culture and institutionalised in the infrastructure. Western countries including the UK have made great advances in removing this evil from our society so lets get some perspective on this issue because it seems to me that a lot of youngsters in particular seem to think that racism is somehow a western/white issue.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Perhaps we're not the best judges though.

My office is a bit thin on the ground today but a quick vox pop of the 3 people of West Indian heritage, 4 of African heritage and 2 of Pakistani origin all say that it's not really an issue in the UK and they don't see the point of it. Admittedly, it's not a scientific study but still pretty conclusive.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Perspective on racism perhaps depends on how well travelled you are. I have spent many years living abroad including in South East Asia and from my experience what is called racism in this country is nothing compared to elsewhere. I have some friends from Singapore, he is a muslim, she is a Hindu. This is quite unusual out there. Added to this she is much darker skinned than he. She experiences racism from his family ! Recently they went on holiday to his native Sri Lanka where she was routinely called a monkey in the villages. I do not think this would happen in the UK. In many societies around the world racism is ingrained in the culture and institutionalised in the infrastructure. Western countries including the UK have made great advances in removing this evil from our society so lets get some perspective on this issue because it seems to me that a lot of youngsters in particular seem to think that racism is somehow a western/white issue.

Very well said.

I'm of the opinion that difficult issues such as race, gender equality etc should always be talked about if for no other reason than not talking about them runs the risk of forgetting what has happened before.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Black people

2 times more likely to die in Police Custody
37 times more likely to be stopped and searched
3 times more likely to be arrested
44 times more likely to be detained under the mental health act
3 times more likely to be unemployed

Than white people.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Black people

2 times more likely to die in Police Custody
37 times more likely to be stopped and searched
3 times more likely to be arrested
44 times more likely to be detained under the mental health act
3 times more likely to be unemployed

Than white people.

Do you know the statistics for Black people murdering other Black people in the UK .

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's interesting that everyone's banging on about racism. It's almost a red herring.

Black kids have lower life chances than white kids in this country by a significant margin. That's not right.

All this rubbish of a load of white guys non-ironically discussing what racism is and isn't, is just ****ing waffle to avoid considering that fact.

But by all means carry on.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
In my view racism is a sign of idiocy and I have seen it from white to non white and non white to white.

You must not forget the other ethnic backgrounds that do not get along, having lived in London and other ethnically diverse cities I have seen Afro Caribbeans, Nigerians, Ghanaian, Somalian, Turkish, Kurdish, Asian all fighting each other and being racist towards each other at different times at work, out and about gangs etc etc. The worst racism is not always white on others we have to acknowledge that these frictions in communities do exist and need addressing if possible. I am going to stick my neck on the block here and say that I have noticed some Polish are very and openly racist in my experience in London.

Black lives do matter, all lives matter....

I get the hump it is not all white peoples fault.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's interesting that everyone's banging on about racism. It's almost a red herring.

Black kids have lower life chances than white kids in this country by a significant margin. That's not right.

All this rubbish of a load of white guys non-ironically discussing what racism is and isn't, is just ****ing waffle to avoid considering that fact.

But by all means carry on.

Racism is a problem in all societies. My colour does not disqualify me from discussing it and I will not desist from discussing it. Your opinion is also welcome.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Racism is a problem in all societies. My colour does not disqualify me from discussing it and I will not desist from discussing it. Your opinion is also welcome.

But by talking about racism from our position of privilege we turn it into a debate about a concept when it should be a debate about real life. The facts are unarguable, a black child born in this country has lower life chances than a white kid. That's not right.

It doesn't really matter if you or I think this is because of racism or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here