Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this really necessary in the UK?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
However, misguided you feel this particular protest is, this thread was clearly going to be used to downplay the general conversation around the demonstrable disadvantages black people face in this country. Black Lives Matter is bigger than that one issue.

no it isnt. to say it is also devalues the core problem that BLM seeks to address, that a number of black youths in america have been executed by law enforcement for no reason. it has no relevance to socio-economic problems in UK inner cities.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But Badfish is right. It is poverty we need to address without the distraction of skin colour.

BLM isnt about poverty, its a civil rights matter around violence and core racist attitudes in america. it may even touch upon inequality, but again in america. it has little relevance here other than jumping on a band wagon. the very valid concerns for inner city youth, of any ethinc group, in the UK really should be finding its own voice.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
[/B]

Of course it is a start with you - as ever you are not bearing the brunt of the protests. Thousands of innocent folk were severely disrupted today, many of whom, for all we know, may well sympathise with the message, but you don't see a problem with it. Isn't that just typical? Disruption such as this is hardly likely to garner much public support, let alone have a positive influence, but the usual ivory tower attitude commends it.

Your point is only valid if you know how I view protests that i have been disrupted by. You don't, so it is the usual ignorant claptrap based on poor logic and reasoning from you.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
and thus completely devaluing the whole point of the original slogan "black lives matter" because people were getting killed. well done.

You think a post on a Brighton message board (that you have taken out of context) has devalued an american slogan? With such a mix of hysterical hyperbole and plumped up self importance you should write to Rupert Murdoch and get a job at one of his rags.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
My niece was bullied at school by black girls,thankfully she was strong enough to stand up for herself.When i asked her sisters why she was being bullied they said because she was blonde,attractive,intelligent and white.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Your point is only valid if you know how I view protests that i have been disrupted by. You don't, so it is the usual ignorant claptrap based on poor logic and reasoning from you.

You did tell us that you were a teacher! And someone capable of this, feels that he can lecture others! Two days ago it was the other chap in geelong who had misunderstood you. It is always others who are inferior, capable only of ignorant claptrap (and with that sentence!) and this from someone who claims to champion the cause of others. . .

My point is very valid because of my experience with the campaign to get the stadium at Falmer. The campaign was relentless and determined, but at all times largely good-humoured, measured and disciplined, so that disruption to others, on whom we relied on for support, was kept to an absolute minimum, if at all. Should the campaign have turned nasty with an obvious intention to do damage and harm, then I have no doubt that attitudes would have hardened and the creation of the stadium that much less likely to have happened. With the severe disruption caused yesterday, with missed flights etc etc, what do you think would have been the attitude of those messed about when someone said that "Black Lives Matter". Action such as that is totally counter-productive.

I wonder if you can understand that logic?

D

Deleted member 22389

My niece was bullied at school by black girls,thankfully she was strong enough to stand up for herself.When i asked her sisters why she was being bullied they said because she was blonde,attractive,intelligent and white.

Would you consider this as bullying or racism?

I consider this as bullying, but the problem we have in this country is when it is the other way around, some people would turn it in to racism.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Would you consider this as bullying or racism?

I consider this as bullying, but the problem we have in this country is when it is the other way around, some people would turn it in to racism.

If the word "black" was in there instead of white, that's when it becomes racism

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You did tell us that you were a teacher! And someone capable of this, feels that he can lecture others! Two days ago it was the other chap in geelong who had misunderstood you. It is always others who are inferior, capable only of ignorant claptrap (and with that sentence!) and this from someone who claims to champion the cause of others. . .

My point is very valid because of my experience with the campaign to get the stadium at Falmer. The campaign was relentless and determined, but at all times largely good-humoured, measured and disciplined, so that disruption to others, on whom we relied on for support, was kept to an absolute minimum, if at all. Should the campaign have turned nasty with an obvious intention to do damage and harm, then I have no doubt that attitudes would have hardened and the creation of the stadium that much less likely to have happened. With the severe disruption caused yesterday, with missed flights etc etc, what do you think would have been the attitude of those messed about when someone said that "Black Lives Matter". Action such as that is totally counter-productive.

I wonder if you can understand that logic?

I am glad you have stopped trying to tell me what i think, that is at least a start to a decent discussion.

I would suggest that your appraisal of the BLM protest being 'totally counter productive' is extreme to say the least. Protests are about finding balance, if they don't disrupt people at all then there is no exposure and people don't know about the cause, if they take it too far then people may start to resent the cause because of the problems caused. I would suggest that the right balance for this disruption depends on range of factors that differ from individual to individual. I would suggest that the most important factors would be how much you are inconvenienced and how much you believe in the cause.

These factors are highly dependant on the viewpoints of the individual and their outlook. To use your Falmer comparison: Your take on events was quite different to many other people's notably NIMBY residents of Falmer and many people who were extremely pissed off that their Saturday afternoons were being ruined by pitch invasions and 'hooligan behaviour'. I would agree with you and say that the means justified the ends and that things rarely went 'too far and were done in good humour but that doesn't mean everyone saw it that way.

I would suggest that this balance was considered by the protesters and they made their decisions knowing they would get wide coverage. Had they not have disrupted people then no one would have noticed. I suspect that the protesters disagree with your assessment of 'totally counter productive' and saw the whole thing as a roaring success, save for the inevitable naysayers of course.

Last edited:

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
We wouldn't have so many race issues if there were not so many groups defining themselves as a separate race, like "black lives matter" should just be "All lives matter"

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am glad you have stopped trying to tell me what i think, that is at least a start to a decent discussion.

I would suggest that your appraisal of the BLM protest being 'totally counter productive' is extreme to say the least. Protests are about finding balance, if they don't disrupt people at all then there is no exposure and people don't know about the cause, if they take it too far then people may start to resent the cause because of the problems caused. I would suggest that the right balance for this disruption depends on range of factors that differ from individual to individual. I would suggest that the most important factors would be how much you are inconvenienced and how much you believe in the cause.

These factors are highly dependant on the viewpoints of the individual and their outlook. To use your Falmer comparison: Your take on events was quite different to many other people's notably NIMBY residents of Falmer and many people who were extremely pissed off that their Saturday afternoons were being ruined by pitch invasions and 'hooligan behaviour'. I would agree with you and say that the means justified the ends and that things rarely went 'too far and were done in good humour but that doesn't mean everyone saw it that way.

I would suggest that this balance was considered by the protesters and they made their decisions knowing they would get wide coverage. Had they not have disrupted people then no one would have noticed. I suspect that the protesters disagree with your assessment of 'totally counter productive' and saw the whole thing as a roaring success, save for the inevitable naysayers of course.

At last a sensible reply with no resort to accusing others of failing to understand you, and writing rubbish. Progress! Of course protestors will go to extreme limits because they know that this will gain them the publicity that they think they need, and yes, you are right, from their point of view a balance is needed. In this case, it undoubtedly was unbalanced -severe disruption to thousands by only a handful would suggest this. Belief in a cause, however well intentioned (or not) and keenly felt, does not entitle you to disrupt others' lives, but as you say, this is what happens to ensure publicity. I am sure that they saw the issue as a great success -whether joe public saw it that way is very doubtful, and in that sense it will be counter-productive. If you annoy those whom you are trying to persuade of the validity of your cause, then that is not very bright.
Regarding Falmer, you are right in that some Falmer residents did not want the stadium built there, but with respect (we are all being terribly polite, now!) you have slightly misunderstood what I was getting at - I was referring to the way the demonstrators went about the campaign, and during this time, Falmer residents' lives were not disrupted, have complained about the means.

D

Deleted member 22389

We wouldn't have so many race issues if there were not so many groups defining themselves as a separate race, like "black lives matter" should just be "All lives matter"

Correct, a whole industry has been created out of it as well. The number of times I have heard of people having to attend diversity courses, it is such a waste of money and bollox. Treat everyone the same.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37283869

In a statement Black Lives Matter n a statement Black Lives Matter UK said the protest was "in order to highlight the UK's environmental impact on the lives of black people"

"As the largest per capita contributor to global temperature change(1) and yet among the least vulnerable to its deadly effects(2), the UK leads in ensuring that our climate crisis is a racist crisis."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here