Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is there something quite sweet about beating them whilst playing not so well?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Time after time we've absolutely battered them and been left either with a solitary point or completely empty-handed.

So, it does feel quite sweet that we were below par today, yet put one over on them.

Suck it up wankers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Most definitely

Almost as sweet was seeing the Palace fans at the end of the game as good as telling them to f*** off as they wandered over

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Absolutely. They basically busted their balls tonight to try and hold us and did pretty well BUT we still beat them. Suck on that is I think the correct expression.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
We've been completely robbed, particularly in the 1-2 defeat during the pandemic, by a combination of our own profligacy in front of goal during games we've completely dominated, and appalling officiating as part of a system supposedly set up to eliminate mistakes. So to beat them when they could have been at least 1-0 up and should certainly have equalised when presented with a gift at the end is rather satisfying, yeah. But honestly, I don't care. The lark's on the wing, the hat is on the side of one's head, and all's right with the world this morning.

I now live in a small village in rural Galicia. Still got my season ticket, still get over when I can for games. Everybody here knows about Brighton now, and they all follow the results because of me. A couple have even come over to see games. When the game finished last night I walked up into the village and was toasted with free whiskey for the victory. Like I say, it's nice to win a scrappy one, but the three points off that lot feel exactly as sweet no matter how they're attained.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The thing is, they're sat there thinking they played better than they have done in other recent games, and yet in all honesty, barring their early enthusiasm for the first fifteen minutes of the match, they never really threatened us in the second half. The only time they even got close to our goal was when Steele & Gross had that little moment and gave the ball away in our own penalty area, but Ahamada biffed it about ten yards wide, much to Tiny Tears' (highly amusing) frustration.

The only moment in that game where I was convinced they were going to score was when Olise found himself free one on one with Steele in the first half. I was braced for the inevitable as he seems like quite a cool customer in the box. But happily, Steele stuck out a foot and the moment passed.

The terrible fact for them to stew on is this: they improved considerably on their recent performances, and created a couple of actual chances for once, yet in terms of levels, they were still nowhere near an Albion team that didn't really need to get out of second gear. The biggest compliment I can honestly pay them re last night's game is: you weren't as shit as I expected you to be. Put that on a commemorative t-shirt, chaps.

Can anybody else see that pendulum swinging?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
After a very poor start, we dominated the bulk of the match. Maybe you’d give them the last 5 minutes as well.

On all metrics we were good for the 3 points over the 90 minutes, so don’t really agree that this was some sort of mugging.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The biggest compliment I can honestly pay them re last night's game is: you weren't as shit as I expected you to be.

This was literally a conversation we had on the way home. They did better then I though but that was them playing at their best and still it wasn't good.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It was most satisfying and quite fitting that we despatched them with a moderately underwhelming performance. Just for once we muddled through and got the job done. I find it highly amusing that even though we were not at our best the gulf in class was obviously apparent.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The thing is, they're sat there thinking they played better than they have done in other recent games, and yet in all honesty, barring their early enthusiasm for the first fifteen minutes of the match, they never really threatened us in the second half. The only time they even got close to our goal was when Steele & Gross had that little moment and gave the ball away in our own penalty area, but Ahamada biffed it about ten yards wide, much to Tiny Tears' (highly amusing) frustration.

The only moment in that game where I was convinced they were going to score was when Olise found himself free one on one with Steele in the first half. I was braced for the inevitable as he seems like quite a cool customer in the box. But happily, Steele stuck out a foot and the moment passed.

The terrible fact for them to stew on is this: they improved considerably on their recent performances, and created a couple of actual chances for once, yet in terms of levels, they were still nowhere near an Albion team that didn't really need to get out of second gear. The biggest compliment I can honestly pay them re last night's game is: you weren't as shit as I expected you to be. Put that on a commemorative t-shirt, chaps.

Perfect post. 👏

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Underwhelming but we're just getting spolit, we really weren't that bad last night. Only really the first 10 mins....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Underwhelming but we're just getting spolit, we really weren't that bad last night. Only really the first 10 mins....
Exactly this. We were still better than them by a country mile, which is why their fans were so annoyed with their players at the end.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It is lovely, is that we get to say:

'They are not a bad outfit, but they are completely toothless. No point in all that build up play, if you can't put away chances.'

Pleasing to see that, after they claimed to have got one over on us by signing him, Eduoard has 9 goals in 52 EPL games. Neal Maupay had 16 after his first 52. They gave Celtic more for him than we gave Brentford for Maups.

Since 2020/21 they have spent close to £50,000,000 on the attacking talents of Eduoard, Mateta, Eze and Olise and between them, they have 10 EPL goals this season. Fair play to them, that's three more than Solly has on his own.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

'They are not a bad outfit, but they are completely toothless. No point in all that build up play, if you can't put away chances.'
I disagree. They are a bad outfit. The two centre halves are decent, but they have nothing else.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I disagree. They are a bad outfit. The two centre halves are decent, but they have nothing else.
:ROFLMAO: Well, I'm certainly not going to defend them, I just put that in there for rhetorical reasons as that was what they used to say about us every time they fluked a result.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
Is there something with how our recent victories against Palace usually come when we do not play so well? Not only this match, but also the last time with THAT Knocky goal...

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Swinging? It's well and truly swung.

We are SO far ahead of them now it's ridiculous.

A mere 15 points clear (with a 28 better GD) plus two games in hand of course.
4 points off them this season (only not 6 due to VAR error)
Superbly well run club with an owner who's actually a real fan and supports the club - not owned by a combination of a spiv and want-away Americans.
A Manager who is the envy of pretty much every other club in the PL
A team playing the best football I've seen in 50 years of watching.
A team that cares - with a remarkable 'togetherness'
Squad made up of internationals including a World Cup winner and some of the best South American youngsters.
A scouting and recruitment policy that's top class.
A club that is not 13 years old.
A state of the art stadium, with no cladding, not one with the health hazard of an away stand with the worst view in the FL.
World class training ground.
A stadium with four new stands, not the pipedream of 'possibly, maybe' one new one happening some time in the 22nd Century (once they find that 'ring-fenced' money)
No goal music/drum/always Ultras with embarrassing crayon displays.
FA Cup quarter final to look forward to at the weekend.

Going back to the OP - yes, we didn't play anywhere near our best, and yet with the exception of the first 10 minutes plus injury time, they did nothing - yet we still won with ease.

They are hurting at the moment, and I love it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

Pleasing to see that, after they claimed to have got one over on us by signing him, Eduoard has 9 goals in 52 EPL games. Neal Maupay had 16 after his first 52. They gave Celtic more for him than we gave Brentford for Maups.

Since 2020/21 they have spent close to £50,000,000 on the attacking talents of Eduoard, Mateta, Eze and Olise and between them, they have 10 EPL goals this season. Fair play to them, that's three more than Solly has on his own.
Be fair though. That sort of talent costs top dollar. Just think how much we spent on Solly...

Oh!
:love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here