Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there any alternative to working for the rest of my life?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I retired at 55. Made the decision that I could live on my pension taken early rather than carry on for anther ten years or so and maybe never see retirement at all.
So I don't have the money I might have had but I have enjoyed life so much more. It's all about choices. :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you have to work think about cutting your hours. The team I currently work with half only work 4 days a week. Oh, and stop commuting.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My actual line of work involves advising those who have just sold said businesses...........They have had to try, try, try,try, fail and try again before they succeed.

And, of course, you pretty much only see those who have eventually succeeded. For every one person who sells a business for £10-20m (where they still own enough equity to generate a truly life-changing sum of money), there are 100 more who don't. Regrettably, hard work, spotting a market, understanding how to build a business and innovation aren't enough. A chunk of luck helps too - just ask Richard Branson how he met Mike Oldfield, for example.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A chunk of luck helps too - just ask Richard Branson how he met Mike Oldfield, for example.

The Oldfield and Tubular Bells money is a good story.

As an aside I remember reading an interview with Oldfield in a travel mag and he said he has limitless free first class travel on Virgin Airlines as a gift from Branson due to his album providing the initial funds for the Virgin empire.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
And, of course, you pretty much only see those who have eventually succeeded. For every one person who sells a business for £10-20m (where they still own enough equity to generate a truly life-changing sum of money), there are 100 more who don't. Regrettably, hard work, spotting a market, understanding how to build a business and innovation aren't enough. A chunk of luck helps too - just ask Richard Branson how he met Mike Oldfield, for example.
Shouldn't stop you from trying though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Probably already been said, but "find a job you enjoy and you'll never have to work a day in your life".

Easier said than done, though.

:thumbsup:

I did that working with young adults with learning and behavioural difficulties.
Such a great job........... Trouble was I ended up working 12 hours plus, 6 and 7 days a week and never saw home :lolol:
Loved every minute but possibly not a plan that worked in this context.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
manufacture disposable gloves for the NHS
or bags for life for Tesco
you will be super rich

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I don't have time to read the whole thread right now (ironically enough due to work!!) so it may already have been mentioned. The incoming automation of whole tranches of jobs in the next 10-15 years will be fascinating, or rather scary, for the future of the economy and human leisure time. The whole concept of everyone having a job, or everyone working full time, will simply have to disappear. The jobs just won't exist for humans.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You can live on very little if you know when to put the work in, where to live and are happy to make a few sacrifices.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Prostitution, something you would probably enjoy, but could also earn you a stable income, with tax incentives.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
23. As long as I live.

Unless you have amassed a pot of money to keep you going which is unlikely at your current age or have extremely wealthy parents or family members they will leave you everything they have then your ambition is doomed.
Hypothetically if you did achieve the required wealth, what would you actually do with the rest of your life?
What do you want to achieve? as every known self made person has not given up on work once they secured financial security.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Unless you have amassed a pot of money to keep you going which is unlikely at your current age or have extremely wealthy parents or family members they will leave you everything they have then your ambition is doomed.
Hypothetically if you did achieve the required wealth, what would you actually do with the rest of your life?
What do you want to achieve? as every known self made person has not given up on work once they secured financial security.

Good question! If only I knew! Try and do whatever makes me happy I guess. Play Fifa, go travelling, go surfing, find a wife..

Wouldn't mind changing the world either and being remembered forever. In a good way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here