Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there any alternative to working for the rest of my life?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pat Flynn's Smart Passive Income is an interesting thing to observe. He started building niche sites and writing about his process of building niche sites. The original intention was to develop sites that just quietly go on making money in the background with minimal input required (i.e. break the change time for money process I mentioned above). He's developed a few of those that earn reasonable incomes, but now his not-inconsiderable income mainly comes from writing about how to develop sites and not from the sites themselves - http://www.smartpassiveincome.com

He now makes over $100,000 pretty much every month - http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/my-income-reports/ with much of it coming from affiliate links to the products he recommends. In August, for example, it was $84,000 of his total $116,891 income - http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/my-august-2015-monthly-income-report/

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
1) Jack in the job and go travelling for a long period.

2) Find a job that involves getting paid to drink beer.

3) Win the lottery.

I have managed 1) and 2) so far in my life. Still working on 3).

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Get married to someone exceedingly rich. Wealth may have to outweigh beauty in your selection criteria and, possibly, gender.
Get a pre-nup 50/50 agreement in case you can find a way out if you aren't enjoying it.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Pat Flynn's Smart Passive Income is an interesting thing to observe. He started building niche sites and writing about his process of building niche sites. The original intention was to develop sites that just quietly go on making money in the background with minimal input required (i.e. break the change time for money process I mentioned above). He's developed a few of those that earn reasonable incomes, but now his not-inconsiderable income mainly comes from writing about how to develop sites and not from the sites themselves - http://www.smartpassiveincome.com

He now makes over $100,000 pretty much every month - http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/my-income-reports/ with much of it coming from affiliate links to the products he recommends. In August, for example, it was $84,000 of his total $116,891 income - http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/my-august-2015-monthly-income-report/

OOH er! That's way above my head! No. I'd suggest practice with a football and become one of them there football players. You don't necessarily have to be that good. For example you could put on a blond wig, wear bling, be irritating in a Welsh way and call yourself Robbie Warrior or something.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Amazon-affiliated links to the number one bestseller in the "Small business & personal development" niche coming soon.

I think you should consider NSC Radio.

Breakfast show with Ernest & Edna
Morning show with El Presidente
Afternoons with Simster & Beach Hut with travel updates
Evenings with Bozza & guests
Late night cuddles with Pretty Pink Fairy
Saturday Pre match with London Pompous
Sunday love songs with Hiney

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Really understand this. Decided being a wage slave was not for me. So I considered my situation. Born into a working class family I could see only work ahead. I needed a plan so in my teen years I decided to work hard on my education, not easy as I had not taken it seriously at first so found myself in a Secondary Mod. Already doors had closed. On leaving school at 16 my father insisted I go to work to pay my way. This was a setback as by this time I knew I needed better qualifications. Whilst working as a nurseyman ( Sure many people are still enjoying the FRUIT of my labours) I went to College in Lewes at night. Finally I had enough money saved along with my 'A' Levels to apply to Uni. I was knocked back by a number and in one interveiw it was made clear I was from the wrong background. I only achieved an offer from Warwick before setting of on my last interveiw in Hull. It was intense taking most of the day but they felt I had the drive to succeed. I did. It set me up with the knowledge I needed. Next I set about buying a property and investing in the stockmarket. I worked as a teacher which although not the best pay gave the safety net of a pension. Luck of living through a time of major inflation helped pay off house in 8 years. Shares and property rose along with the inflated prices. At this stage money starts to make money. More property, more shares and by age 40 although still working it was now possible to be more choosy. I stopped the wage slavery at 42. So I wish everyone well in trying to gain their freedom.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Get a dog. Tie a bit of string to its collar. Sit on the pavement near a cashpoint.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nope, there's no real alternative, unless you want to go an live in a forest or something in the undeveloped world. the problem is one of perception, people think working in an office for 40 hours is hard, not considering how hard real work like labouring, factory work or farming really was a few decades ago. the person noted in the article has been pampered and doesnt realise some actual time to some purpose other than there own entertainment and education is required for a productive economy to persist.

or you set yourself no expectations and go on the sausage, its quite livable amount if you live in the right area and keep low desires and costs of living.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Quite a good article I would say.

Perhaps the issue is also that a few decades ago, more of us would have been involved in manufactoring, or other manual forms of work. At least then you are "making" something. Where as the modern world involves computers and working in an office, existing in a food chain that goes all the way to the top.

The only way really to give up work is to have some sort of "Good Life", as we still need to able to feed ourselves.

Or another way would be to be not so dependent on the amount of money your earn, and do something you really want to do. Might mean cutting down on spending, and leading a less materialistic life though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Quite a good article I would say.

Perhaps the issue is also that a few decades ago, more of us would have been involved in manufactoring, or other manual forms of work. At least then you are "making" something. Where as the modern world involves computers and working in an office, existing in a food chain that goes all the way to the top.

The only way really to give up work is to have some sort of "Good Life", as we still need to able to feed ourselves.

Or another way would be to be not so dependent on the amount of money your earn, and do something you really want to do. Might mean cutting down on spending, and leading a less materialistic life though.

A number of years ago I read a few books on downshifting etc. If you can do it, and live through the transition i'm sure you come out a more relaxed and happy person, but the path from a relatively high earning and consuming lifestyle to frugal living is painful one.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
nope, there's no real alternative, unless you want to go an live in a forest or something in the undeveloped world. the problem is one of perception, people think working in an office for 40 hours is hard, not considering how hard real work like labouring, factory work or farming really was a few decades ago. the person noted in the article has been pampered and doesnt realise some actual time to some purpose other than there own entertainment and education is required for a productive economy to persist.

or you set yourself no expectations and go on the sausage, its quite livable amount if you live in the right area and keep low desires and costs of living.

As far as my lack of satisfaction is concerned isn't really to do with the type of work I do - and rven the hours, it's the necessity ro work for the best years of your life just to survive, looking forward to the few weeks of freedom each year, and the hope that I won't starve / freeze to death once I retire. It's hardly enticing.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
However, Saturdays at Amex are worth it all :)

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
There are alternatives out there if you are game for it.

I've worked the blah in London for a few years and enough was enough. Salary = 50% rent - WTF!

Go expat, work in some schools in Asia as an English teacher. Free rent and complete disposable income. Travel when you fancy a year off and meet some locals in tropical places - invest a little money with them and learn to live with simplicity.

I can go to a certain beach in India now and stay for free anytime where I have a house, electricity, a clean well, and I can catch fish/crabs everyday and pick fruit and buy some rice an veggies to get me buy - for pennies.

Then when all the free time and beautiful scenery gets too much - I get another expat job in East Asia and start the process again - my bank isn't as fat as a wage slave in London but it gets bigger and bigger despite all the years off doing nothing but loving and living on a beach every 3 years or so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here