Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there actually any truth in the Glenn Murray speculation?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thing is, he's a hero at Palace so would he want to blot that copybook by coming to us?

thing is, players often dont give a fudge for our rivalries. he'll go where ever the money takes him, if indeed he has much say.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
thing is, players often dont give a fudge for our rivalries. he'll go where ever the money takes him, if indeed he has much say.

To a point, yes. I'm sure the main reason we haven't signed him is that he wants to stay in the prem. But how many players do the switch between rivals TWICE? He's probably already experienced a fair bit of abuse when he went from us to them, would he want to do it again? and they did appreciate him a lot more than we did.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
To a point, yes. I'm sure the main reason we haven't signed him is that he wants to stay in the prem. But how many players do the switch between rivals TWICE? He's probably already experienced a fair bit of abuse when he went from us to them, would he want to do it again? and they did appreciate him a lot more than we did.

We're unlikely to be playing Palace any time soon, or at least this season, so a loan deal wouldn't be quite so awkward. Murray seemed to rise above the abuse he got at the Amex, and actually thrive on it. I get the impression he's a professional who shrugs these things off and if we made an offer that made sense to all parties financially it would be quite convenient to play for the club in the city where he lives. No idea if that's even on the cards, however.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
We're unlikely to be playing Palace any time soon, or at least this season, so a loan deal wouldn't be quite so awkward. Murray seemed to rise above the abuse he got at the Amex, and actually thrive on it. I get the impression he's a professional who shrugs these things off and if we made an offer that made sense to all parties financially it would be quite convenient to play for the club in the city where he lives. No idea if that's even on the cards, however.

I'd certainly enjoy watching him play for us again, so lets hope so

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Thing is, he's a hero at Palace so would he want to blot that copybook by coming to us?

He was pretty popular at your place but it didn't stop him signing for us, did it?

Murray is a footballer coming to the end of his career, he'll go where the money is best and where he gets to play.

If you offer the best personal option for him then he'll come.

As a palace fan, how could we object to an ex Brighton player, going back to play for you again. It could hardly be seen as disloyal could it?

It wouldn't affect his hero status for any rational fan.:D

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
He was pretty popular at your place but it didn't stop him signing for us, did it?

Murray is a footballer coming to the end of his career, he'll go where the money is best and where he gets to play.

As a palace fan, how could we object to an ex Brighton player, going back to play for you again. It could hardly be seen as disloyal could it?

Not totally, no. He was never idolised, never a hero, many found it easy to criticise him, something to do with not applauding fans after a defeat somewhere I think. Look, most of us thought he was very good and enjoyed watching him play, and top scorer in a title-wining side counts for a lot, but it was hardly unanimous to resign him after his contract expired, a lot of people thought he wouldn't be that good in the championship and CMS was better (or at least we kidded ourselves that). We were wrong.

yes, players will chase their payday, and get their contract, of course. But they're also not robots, and after not getting the credit he deserved with us he did become a hero at yours. That has to count for something.

Plus I'd be amazed if there weren't 20 championship sides who'd want to sign him, its hardly BHA or nothing.

Clearly we want him though, so maybe.....

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Not totally, no. He was never idolised, never a hero, many found it easy to criticise him, something to do with not applauding fans after a defeat somewhere I think. Look, most of us thought he was very good and enjoyed watching him play, and top scorer in a title-wining side counts for a lot, but it was hardly unanimous to resign him after his contract expired, a lot of people thought he wouldn't be that good in the championship and CMS was better (or at least we kidded ourselves that). We were wrong.

yes, players will chase their payday, and get their contract, of course. But they're also not robots, and after not getting the credit he deserved with us he did become a hero at yours. That has to count for something.

Plus I'd be amazed if there weren't 20 championship sides who'd want to sign him, its hardly BHA or nothing.

Clearly we want him though, so maybe.....

Whilst, like any other player his wages are paramount, I actually think playing regularly is quite high on his agenda, he moved from palace primarily to get games. I'm not sure warming the bench at Bournemouth was part of what be signed for.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I'd bet on Yes - As has already been posted, I heard a guy talking about him on the train the other day, I believe he was his barber (not Paul) and said Murray doesn't like Howe's management style and wants out.
I think it would be a brilliant signing. He earnt my respect after defecting with the way he handled himself when playing against us. Bring him back - Rolling front line with Wilson and Zamora, easing the pressure on Hemed (get him in the development squad to generate a bit of confidence), Baldock just isn't happening and unless we are going to throw Tillet et al. in to the mix it would be a valuable addition.

Plus he must still love the place, we talk about him enough when he doesn't play for us, if he signed he'd have his own sub-forum.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

Yep, after all it's just a job.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I'd take Murray back in an instant but I'm a shallow ******* who'd sell any family member out for personal gain.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Glenn Murray would get into most Championship sides and would be quality in this division.

Anyone that wouldn't want a player of his calibre would be naive and foolish.

He's a professional footballer and he showed that in the way he handled himself whenever he has faced us since leaving.

I would welcome him back with open arms and without question he would be a better option than both Hemed and Zamora leading the line for us as we chase the dream.

September Seagull

It's Tricky
Jan 25, 2016
Patcham
I agree. Even if just loaned until the end of the season. He leads the line well and scores goals. No brainier!

Glenn Murray would get into most Championship sides and would be quality in this division.

He's a professional footballer and he showed that in the way he handled himself whenever he has faced us since leaving.

I would welcome him back with open arms and without question he would be a better option than both Hemed and Zamora leading the line for us as we chase the dream.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I agree with this - at least you know what your getting with Murray, as opposed say to bringing someone in from overseas who may or may not be a success

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here