Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is the world going to end tomorrow?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
A dark planet in the solar system is an age-old theory, going back to the early modern period, when Neptune, and the larger asteroids, were being discovered.

The hunt for them, and the final laying-to-rest of the planet Vulcan, is the subject of a great book, one of the best history-of-science books I've read.

The Hunt for Vulcan: How Albert Einstein Destroyed a Planet and Deciphered the Universe, by Thomas Levenson.

His other books, including the recent one on Einstein in Berlin, the South Seas Bubble, and Isaac Newton's tenure as Warden and Master of the Royal mint, are all great reads.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
His bio is a bit of a whirlwind. Used to work for NASA apparently. This is the key bit, if any context were needed: "Independent Researcher".
I think " Used to work for NASA " would explain his current employment.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A dark planet in the solar system is an age-old theory, going back to the early modern period, when Neptune, and the larger asteroids, were being discovered.

The hunt for them, and the final laying-to-rest of the planet Vulcan, is the subject of a great book, one of the best history-of-science books I've read.

The Hunt for Vulcan: How Albert Einstein Destroyed a Planet and Deciphered the Universe, by Thomas Levenson.

His other books, including the recent one on Einstein in Berlin, the South Seas Bubble, and Isaac Newton's tenure as Warden and Master of the Royal mint, are all great reads.
Vulcan and Planet X are completely different ideas though.

As that above book explains with Vulcan, Einstein’s theory of general relativity explains the odd orbits of mercury so the idea there was a planet (always on the other side of the Sun) between Mercury and our star was ditched.

However, the evidence for Planet X is there and still unexplained. The orbits of trans-neptunium objects seem to indicate there is something massive out there. But it might not be very big, it could be a black hole (the size of a grapefruit). That would cause some problems if it came too near our planet!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I think " Used to work for NASA " would explain his current employment.
he worked for NASA yes.....probably as a cleaner.....

Now has anyone given Bruce Willis and his mining buddies a call?

Attachments

• p21422_p_v8_ay.jpg
    p21422_p_v8_ay.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 19

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It would be just the Albion's luck: quality for Europe and the bloody world ends before we've even played a first game. Typical.

Latest update: It's not planet X after all, but the ball from Ulloa's penalty finally returning to Earth. Easy mistake to make

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Do you think the government will let pubs open early for this?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If we all believed 'the world will end' on the dates we're told, we'd be about 2,174 dates in by now - still waiting for it to end.

I'm bored of all this bollocks. The world will be ending when BBC news says we've sent 50 missiles to China and Russia, and they've replied with 250 - all destined for London, and even our souls will be vapourised.

I often wonder if the rats in the Palace canteen will survive it, though... ???

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
So there’s a planet with ten times the mass of Neptune floating about out there but you can’t see it unless you look straight at the sun. Odd that no telescopes are trained on the sun it seems.

But then I’m just prime sheeple.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is David Icke still around?
Interestingly, he is a shining light example of why it was so great that we left the EU:

"On 4 November 2022, it was reported that Icke had been banned from entering the Netherlands for two years, after being sent a letter from the Dutch government saying that his presence in the country would pose a risk to public order. The ban also prevents Icke from entering the EU's visa-free Schengen Area."

This means we can have the pleasure of the little tinker all to ourselves.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
So there’s a planet with ten times the mass of Neptune floating about out there but you can’t see it unless you look straight at the sun. Odd that no telescopes are trained on the sun it seems.

But then I’m just prime sheeple.
Maybe it is hiding underneath the flat earth?

In the good old days, these people would be locked up. Bloody human rights.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm prepared I've just ordered some more toilet roll off Amazon. Won't be caught short again after the last crisis

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ha Chelsea will be pissed off, wankers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here