Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the top 4 really out of reach?

Is the top 4 really out of reach?

• Yes. We can't compete from this position

Votes: 110 49.1%
  • No. We are bang in the hunt

Votes: 114 50.9%

• Total voters

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

Do Newcastle make Europa for winning the Rumbelows Paint Carpets Cup?
This is the Europa conference thing. So if a team outside the top 7 win the paint pot we would need to finish 6th for Europe.

Unless a team outside the top 6 then won the FA Cup in which case we would need 5th for Europe.

I might just take a leaf out of the team manual and just worry about winning the next game!

Ok and hope Forest don't win tonight.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Of course we could, we shouldn't be above Liverpool or Chelsea, but we need to be brilliant and lucky and a couple of the others below par then we could scrape it. Ohh how exciting....

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Absolutely out of reach I’m afraid.

7th will be difficult and I would take it now if offered

I see us finishing about Brentford and Fulham but see Chelsea and Liverpool getting their acts sadly. We are only half way through the season remember, obviously feels like we are further along

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let’s get the next two banana skins out of the way, and then maybe we will be able to see if, we can beat the teams like #Bournemouth & #Palace that some to think are a given now….

I would take an FA Cup win over finishing top 6
I wholeheartedly share the OP's belief and optimism, but my flabber is agast at all the noise around this thread.

Sure if over the next 3 weeks we were playing Brazil 1970, Liverpool 83-84 & Spain 2008-10, then ok count the 9 (nine) points, bank the other teams loses and move up to 4th.

But we don't have the luxury of easy games, we have:-

Bournemouth, palace and Fulham.

After that murderers row we'll be relegation fodder and demanding GPott returns, while our media darlings deny the very existence of all.of Sussex, let alone Brighton and it incompetent owner.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I am airing on the side of caution with all of this talk. Top 10 is still the club target.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I am airing on the side of caution with all of this talk. Top 10 is still the club target.
This can't be the target this season. If we finished 9th/10th, every single one of us, including Bloom would be gutted. Yes, it would be a solid achievement, but 7th has to be the target now, and RDZ must know that.

As for reaching 4th, win at St James' at the end of the month and maybe we can all start to dream. (I realise they haven't lost their yet this season.)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Last time one of the 'other 14' got into the top 4 was Leicester 2015/16.

The previous time it happened was Everton in 2004/05. Newcastle managed it in 2002/03.

That is 3 times in 20 years.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
No chance. It always amazes me how people seem to forget how the league tables go. At the top, teams around you are usually winning, so 6 points is a massive gap to make up. At the bottom, teams around you are usually losing, so win a couple of games and you climb out easily.

For us to make up 8 points on Man United would mean a catastrophic collapse from them, without Liverpool or Chelsea (with their vastly superior strength in depth) coming good. There are too many variables.

So if Man Utd completely collapse, we keep up the ridiculously good form we've had for the last month and get no injuries, Liverpool and Chelsea's vastly superior squads don't play anywhere near their capabilities, and no other team beneath us puts together a really good run then yes, it's possible. 9/1 is completely wasting your money.
What about now and catching Newcastle? 6 points behind and a game in hand. Do you give us any chance?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Trap game on the horizon.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It would be very Brighton, to get top4 and get eliminated to the Europa league during the qualifying round(s)

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It would be very Brighton, to get top4 and get eliminated to the Europa league during the qualifying round(s)
Spurs finished 4th last year and didn’t have to play any qualifying rounds. I don’t if that’s decided on a league or club basis. I guess league and therefore 4th spot is straight into the group stages. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Edit: the answer is here. Straight into the group stages https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Only noddy leagues like Scotland have to go through qualifying rounds

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Could you imagine this happening!?

In the event that a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither of these clubs finish in the top four of the Premier League, the club lying fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Until we blow it I am now a believer. We won’t catch United but Newcastle is doable. Winning today, when we wouldn’t have in any other Pl season, and with a weakened team, has got me excited

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Could you imagine this happening!?

In the event that a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither of these clubs finish in the top four of the Premier League, the club lying fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.
Liverpool and Chelsea have as much chance of winning the CL as we do of making the top four, maybe less :smile:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Newcastle are very catchable.

It's a storming run from a team below us that's the biggest threat. Still half a season to go. I think Chelsea will finish above Newcastle and if we could pip both of those to 4th, I don't think i'd stop laughing until the day I died

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Until we blow it I am now a believer. We won’t catch United but Newcastle is doable. Winning today, when we wouldn’t have in any other Pl season, and with a weakened team, has got me excited
Yep, Newcastle will have started believing that they will get a Champions League spot and that can result in a lot of pressure for a team that’s not used to it. If we do get into the top four at any point it’ll be interesting to see how we handle the pressure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here