Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is The Marina Bowlplex the worst run establishment in Brighton?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Avoid the Bowlplex like the plague. I went there once when it first opened to check it out (with me being a bowler and all) and it's just a money-making nightclub with a poorly run bowling alley whacked inside.

The King Alfred was britain's oldest bowling centre.. I think that title now goes to Yarmouth. I'm a bit young to remember it that well. The guys who used to run it are now in The Rose and Crown down montague street.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
the one at the king alfred is still like 'there' apparently...pins are still up and everything

really want someone to break in and take photos

Here is a photo of the King Alfred bowling lane:

bowlingalley.JPG

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Anyone remember the bowlplex they had down North Street? Think it was called Jumping Jacks.

Yeah, it had tiny lanes with glow in the dark pins. Strange place.

*Laser warriors was in Western Road wasn't it? I think the one down the King Alfred was called Megazone.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love a bit of ten pin but it is INSANELY expensive for the "consumer experience" that you get.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I thought there were plans for an Ice Arena at one point, could have brought The Tigers back.

That would be tremendous, having a local ice hockey team to support as well as the Albion. Come to think of it, is there no way the Albion could put in some kind of surface so they could hold ice hockey at the Amex as well as football? Not beyond the wit of man, shirley, and would generate some much needed income.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That would be tremendous, having a local ice hockey team to support as well as the Albion. Come to think of it, is there no way the Albion could put in some kind of surface so they could hold ice hockey at the Amex as well as football? Not beyond the wit of man, shirley, and would generate some much needed income.

Whilst putting in a temporary ice rink surface would be doable, installing a roof might be the stumbling block

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I've never really "got" bowling. Seems to be one of those things thats been created just to provide entertainment to kids who aren't old enough to get served in pubs yet.

They also clean up for office nights out because it's a relatively cheap evening's entertainment that doesn't revolve around drinking. But it just makes me feel like a teenager, angst ridden and grumpy, surrounded by other poxy kids, most of whom are considerably better than me at bowling.

Bowlplex NO THANKS

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Yep king Alfred was megazone and Lazer Warriors was Western Road where the auction rooms used to be.

Dec 29, 2011

Probably a bit out of the way to generate enough income to make it worthwhile

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It would be possible to erect an ice rink above the King Alfred old ten pin bowling site, and yes we should resurrect the Brighton Tigers.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No that will be the virgin club at falmer....yet again the outside pool closed due to " chlorine issues" FFS. ...and the gym aircon was crap over the summer, the brand new machines have no fans and they have stopped Pilates on Thursday night.

It's bloody expensive and they don't give a toss about the paying members.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Never any issues there apart from a couple of pins falling down randomly but they always send someone down within about 5 minutes or so to sort it out. Been there loads never had an issue but perhaps I'm just lucky.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
No that will be the virgin club at falmer....yet again the outside pool closed due to " chlorine issues" FFS. ...and the gym aircon was crap over the summer, the brand new machines have no fans and they have stopped Pilates on Thursday night.

It's bloody expensive and they don't give a toss about the paying members.

Actually that's a bloody good shout. I've just cancelled my membership there as they really macked me off with their f ups over membership fees (they overcharged me one month and it took me TWO MONTHS to resolve). The air con was a complete joke over the Summer and what's more if you use the gym at peak times, e.g. after work weekdays, there is next to ZERO chance of getting into a class. In fact you have to sit up at your computer at MIDNIGHT a week in advance just so you can be among the first to book yourself in. I complained about this several times and they just told me to do the midnight thing. Well frankly I like go GO TO SLEEP before midnight on weekdays so I don't see why I should have to stay up late just to book myself into a fitness class that I'M ALREADY PAYING FOR. Why not get MORE instructors in and put on MORE classes to cope with the demand? Oh no, that would cost money.

I've now signed up at The Gym down on the seafront and am saving myself £50 a month by doing so. OK it doesn't have a pool or any exercise classes but given I didn't get to use either at Virgin anyway, it makes little difference.

The gym actually has BETTER equipment and MORE machines so even at peak times you can get on the gear you want to use. Plus I can walk there, which saves me having to deal with the nightmarish traffic getting off the A27 at Falmer which was ALWAYS congested.

Frankly for the premium they charge you'd expect a premium service, and you just don't get anything near it.

I'd be interested to know what equivalent clubs in Brighton charge, by comparison. i.e. David Lloyd, LA Fitness and Fitness First.

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
No .Go frequently ...its fine ...staff disinterested as any other sulky min wage kids .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
@Collosal Squid - I pay 50 a month for David Lloyds as they do an 18-20 deal where you get 33% off so it's 72 normally for adults but its a fantastic gym I've been to plenty of gym across Brighton and I believe they have the highest quality equipment, good selection of free weights, at least 15 of each cardio equipment so plenty of options and great selection of all free classes as of course swimming pool/jacuzzi/sauna which is always nice after a work out. Generally if you pay more you get your money's worth but obviously I guess 70 odd is quite steep but IMO worth it if you are going to use it a lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here