Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the current Albion squad "strong enough to reach the play-offs''

Is the current Albion squad "strong enough to reach the play-offs''?

• Yes

Votes: 31 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 224 87.8%

• Total voters

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This is as good a place as any to admit my mea culpa, I guess. When the transfer dealings were done, I said on here that I thought the squad (not the first 11) was as strong as any I've seen us have. That's certainly looking, errr, to have been an error in judgement. However, I'm still not completely sure whether our dire results are primarily due to us having recruited poor players, or are the result of ridiculous tactics. I'm inclined to think that the squad is capable of mid-table mediocrity, dramatically worsened by tactics that would require world class FBs to be successful. The Finn has definitely changed the tactics in the last couple of games, with better results.

But, we've already proven that I know nothing...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The evidence suggests not. It's patently a worse squad than last year (especially up front) and last year we only just snuck in. And even the greatest managers can't make silk purses out of sows ears. Yes I know we've had injuries - but so have other clubs.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
It's a funny old game. After Cardiff at home I walked away and thought, despite battering them and only coming way with a point, that the players were starting to click and understand what the coaching team wanted and expected from them. Shape and discipline looked great. I thought a winning formula had been found and I honestly believed that we might well be within a chance of reaching the top six again.

Since that game it's been very desperate and I do think we have one too many luxury players in the side. Players such as Tex feed off confidence rather than criticism and when a team is struggling and backs are up against the wall then their own individual performances suffer too. We are lacking in abundance some steel and grit to get out of the position we are in, let alone reach the play-offs. The spine of the team is very weak and missing one or two leaders. It's gone from:

Koosh - Upson - Bridcutt - Ulloa to Stockdale - Dunk (big plus this season) - JFC - Baldock

I am neither a bedwetter or licker, but I am frightfully concerned that we are unable to string some wins together.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Surely anyone could come to the realization that Albion as it stands are no where near good enough to get into the playoff mix... however, given a string of decent results and good injection of confidence who knows how good this Albion side can get?! Not the greatest fan of Burke but the guys accolades and background would suggest he knows what he is doing. Its a game of confidence - cheque books don't buy you that especially in the Championship.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
------------- Walton ---------------

Bruno --- Greer -- Dunk --- Bennett

-------- Ince --------- Holla --------

Bennett ----- Texeira ------- LuaLua

-------------- Murray ---------------

I don't believe we are far off. Just a striker ( and E. Bennett permentant) and the right manager needed in my opinion.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Eh, if its a good enough squad to reach the play-offs and we're struggling to stay out the relegation zone it implies the manager/coaching isn't up to scratch, but he has also said they are.

It doesn't add up.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
TB has to say the current squad is good enough to reach the play offs otherwise he would be selling himself SHORT.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Eh, if its a good enough squad to reach the play-offs and we're struggling to stay out the relegation zone it implies the manager/coaching isn't up to scratch, but he has also said they are.

It doesn't add up.
Palace set a precedent by sacking Holloway and bringing in Pulis who extracted the talent from a mediocre side. Odds on for relegation before Pulis took charge.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
A decent striker who knows where he is supposed to be, has the urgency and pace to get there, can stretch a leg or neck at the right moment and be able to muscle on to (or to stay on) the ball and we have a play off capable squad IMO. Only far too late for this season!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's slightly more context in these quotes via BBC Sport -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30004150

"What we are trying to do is to have a squad of players which has the ability to get promoted from the Championship every season," he said.
"In the last two seasons we have had that squad and got to the play-offs and got very close.
"I believe we have got it this season. If you look at the league table it doesn't look like that but results don't always equal performances.
"The cost of our squad this year, in terms of salaries, is higher than it has ever been in our history."

He also acknowledges the poor start to the season.

"Any club will get bad times at some point...It was 11 league games without a win - which keeps getting talked about - but we weren't playing too badly in those games.
"It is Sami's first season in the Championship and he is going to be learning a lot as he goes along.
"In the long run, our coaching team and our players will gain from that experience of the bad times. I like to be optimistic and I feel good things will come out of it."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here