Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the Beer choice at The Amex good enough?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
What do you lot want...bloody jam on it. You sell a good selection of all beers and you still moan. On the occasional trip to the Mecca of football, The Boleyn Ground, you get a can of guinness, can of Carlsberg or can of Tetleys....for about £4.50 each.

I know it's not a popular move for some WH fans but there was discussion the other day about moving to the olympic stadium in the hope that they might sell a decent selection of beers "just like they do at Brighton"

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
They do bovril too. That's pretty decent.

Which reminds me of how far we've come ina short time, since the days of a half-time coffee at Priestfield, which always had a hint of bovril about it. I'd have settled for my coffee tasting like coffee.

NOW we get lager, bitter or cider, and some have the cheek to suggest that within those categories, we lack choice. Oh, and I bet the coffee tastes like coffee too, but someone will tell me they use a Columbian bean, when they prefer Venezualan. Some on here are NEVER satisfied, me, I'm much more easily pleased.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
What does everyone think of the beer choice at The Amex?

Personally I only drink real Ale so Harvey's Sussex Best is sufficient for me. Albeit it's not the best Ale in the world and it's not the best ale Harveys brew.

I wonder why they can't alternate Sussex Best with other Harvey's Ales. Or to make it more competitive, also have a contract with Dark Star or Arundel Breweries. (Both also local)

Volume I suspect. We get through so much that for the smaller breweris it would totally dominate their production and affect their tied and other trade

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I love the Harvey's at the Amex, it's filtered more so tastes even better than in the pub. I find hophead a little too, well, hoppy, would be nice to have a nice dark star porter!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
What do you lot want...bloody jam on it. You sell a good selection of all beers and you still moan. On the occasional trip to the Mecca of football, The Boleyn Ground, you get a can of guinness, can of Carlsberg or can of Tetleys....for about £4.50 each.

I know it's not a popular move for some WH fans but there was discussion the other day about moving to the olympic stadium in the hope that they might sell a decent selection of beers "just like they do at Brighton"

Actually I prefer having a coulis on it rather than just jam but that's just me

After the reminder about how far we've come from the days of a scalding hot horrible Pukka Pie at Priestfield, this is just to show what we are now used to in terms of matchday catering. Is catering at Upton park similar???????

TO START
Char grilled chicken & bacon Caesar salad
with marinated anchovies & parmesan croutons
Pate of duck & port
Served with fennel & red onion marmalade, toasted brioche fingers and mixed leaves
Salmon & dill fishcake
Served with wilted spinach, concasse tomatoes & a hollandaise sauce
Sussex smoked mackerel terrine
Served with creamed horseradish, beetroot salsa & a baby herb salad
Sussex blue, leek & walnut tart (V) With pickled pear and leaf salad
Stuffed courgette rolls (V)
Individual courgette rolls stuffed with ricotta cheese.
Toasted pine nuts & basil
Served with mixed leafs & balsamic dressing
Soup of the day (V)
Served with A bread roll and butter

TO FOLLOW
Harvey’s beer battered haddock Served with chunky chips, minted mushy peas, tartare sauce & a lemon wedge
Char grilled gourmet beef burger with tomato relish
Sliced cornichons, smoked bacon, cheddar cheese & crisp lettuce Served with chunky chips & side salad
Locally reared pork & leek sausage (ring) Served with bubble & squeak mash, balsamic roasted carrots, sugar snap peas and a bordelaise
sauce
Shank of lamb Served with mustard creamed potatoes, balsamic roasted carrots, sugar snap peas
& a mint infused jus
Spinach & ricotta tortelloni (V) With a mushroom & tarragon cream sauce, rocket & a parmesan wafer
Mediterranean veg & feta cheese strudel (V) Served with a tomato and basil sauce & crushed potatoes
Served with a bread roll and butter

TO FINISH
Chocolate torte With cherry compote & whipped cream
Lemon cheesecake With a red berry coulis
White chocolate and raspberry brulee With buttery shortbread
Treacle Tart With butterscotch sauce & clotted cream ice cream
Fresh fruit salad With Greek yogurt, honey & toasted almonds
Selection of British cheeses
Served with celery, grapes, crackers & chutney

All washed down with pints of harvey's, Hophead or Dark Star (or a horrible cold commercial lager)

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I love what we've got, but a bit more of a link with Dark Star wouldn't go amiss. They do lovely beer - in fact I was in the Evening Star just this afternoon. Tried their Belgian IPA and it was BLOODY strong - too strong for me!!!

Also, swapping the Strongbow for, say, Stowford Press, couldn't hurt. That said, it depends whether the AMEX's tie allows that, and how much of a faff it would be to change it over.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I love the choice. Just think about Jevs post. West Ham who are a lot bigger than us, have not given a fig to their fans, and what have they got?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Volume I suspect. We get through so much that for the smaller breweris it would totally dominate their production and affect their tied and other trade

Someone told me that we are now Harvey's biggest customer. No idea if that's true or not but if it is that's pretty amazing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I love what we've got, but a bit more of a link with Dark Star wouldn't go amiss. They do lovely beer - in fact I was in the Evening Star just this afternoon. Tried their Belgian IPA and it was BLOODY strong - too strong for me!!!

Also, swapping the Strongbow for, say, Stowford Press, couldn't hurt. That said, it depends whether the AMEX's tie allows that, and how much of a faff it would be to change it over.

Beer ties suck. Why can't a pub / caterer / licensee furnish their punters with the beers they want, rather than from a limited list?

After the Kronenbourg hysterics from a couple of weeks ago, I was told the possible alternatives were Amstel (more expensive) and Birra Morretti (FAR more expensive).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Strongbow makes me nauseous. That's not hyperbole, whenever I drink it I start to feel sick. I would prefer more cider options (or just replace strongbow).

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Which reminds me of how far we've come ina short time, since the days of a half-time coffee at Priestfield, which always had a hint of bovril about it. I'd have settled for my coffee tasting like coffee.

NOW we get lager, bitter or cider, and some have the cheek to suggest that within those categories, we lack choice. Oh, and I bet the coffee tastes like coffee too, but someone will tell me they use a Columbian bean, when they prefer Venezualan. Some on here are NEVER satisfied, me, I'm much more easily pleased.

I think the problem is, if your going to have a product, at least make it a decent 1

Fosters is a shit lager. so obviously people are going to moan. They want a better choice

I bet if the stadium did chips, they would eventually moan they're 2 expensive, or they're just crap!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=4336]smiler[/MENTION] was saying at the cricket last week that he wants them to do a decent real ale like John Smiths Extra Smooth.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Actually I prefer having a coulis on it rather than just jam but that's just me

After the reminder about how far we've come from the days of a scalding hot horrible Pukka Pie at Priestfield, this is just to show what we are now used to in terms of matchday catering. Is catering at Upton park similar???????

Without wanting to put the whole quote on here.

I really think that BHA are setting the standards that all other clubs aspire too. Now that menu only applies to the 1901 club or the selected few....you certainly can't get it in the concourses and im sure WH do a menu in their hospitality suites. many away fans love the hospitality and hopefully it's working well for you.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I had Hophead in Dicks, as long as they keep serving that I'll be more than happy.

Hophead+Chicken Pie+Football=Winner

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Would love magners on tap but might not be able to afford it :-/

Being one of the growing population of ppl who struggles to digest wheat, i'm stuck with strongbow but occasionally risk a pint of Harveys to counter the gut full of cheap cider. I'm coping fine tho and don't want to kick the gift horse in the mouth.

I'm delighted we have Harveys, it is the right thing to do, it's also Nice to get Darkstar involved too.

I do like a pint of Kronie but i also like Heineken. I was a bit disappointed that i don't seem to be able to use my season ticket to pay for Heineken, i would buy it if i could. I won't buy fosters tho, unless i have no other option of course.

It's great as it is tho

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here