Is the amex too small?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Putting das' miserabilist nonsense aside, and answering the original question:

Is the Amex too small?

The answer is that no, it isn't. It so easily COULD have been though, had Bloom not had the vision and balls, to build what he did. He could so easily have looked at our gates and recent history, and gone for 18 - 20k. Then we would have a problem now.

I certainly agree with you regarding TB's vision. But I do feel that going for 18-20,000 was never a realistic option, given that at Withdean Albion still had a database of 20,000 fans, as I recall reading. Crowds were low because of what Withdean was plus for big games, such as there were, there was an enforced limit.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Those owners knew they were spending money they didn't have. They just walked away from it.

Yes, I had very little sympathy with Portsmouth. I recall them paying millions for Crouch on gates of around 17,000 or so, thinking how on earth they could afford that. Sure enough , it all went wrong. As ever, you feel sorry for the ordinary fans, but it must also be said that they were quite happy to take the good times and the Cup final on the never never . .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Two tier home ends are crap. I remember The Holt end years ago and it was amazing. Imagine the Kop as two tiers.... Nah
On reflection, I'd probably be even more happy with a decent single tiered 8k kop.

Do tell Uncle Tony when you next see him. [emoji106]

:hilton:
regards
DR

What is your purpose?

All you seem to do is have sly digs about the club you supposedly support. It's clear you have an agenda about the cost of modern day football, but you simplistic ways seem to just revert back to a bygone era that thankfully most decent folk have left well behind in the 20th century.

There is a phrase I was brought up hearing and never really understood it until I was older, but it suggested one knew the price of everything and the value of F*** all. I'm afraid you epitomise that phrase perfectly.

What is your purpose?

All you seem to do is have sly digs about the club you supposedly support. It's clear you have an agenda about the cost of modern day football, but you simplistic ways seem to just revert back to a bygone era that thankfully most decent folk have left well behind in the 20th century.

There is a phrase I was brought up hearing and never really understood it until I was older, but it suggested one knew the price of everything and the value of F*** all. I'm afraid you epitomise that phrase perfectly.

THIS!:moo:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
On reflection, I'd probably be even more happy with a decent single tiered 8k kop.

Do tell Uncle Tony when you next see him. [emoji106]

It's not going to happen either way though is it ? So I just plumped for a single stand. I want a corrugated roof with a Tamplins ales advert on it mind you.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not going to happen either way though is it ? So I just plumped for a single stand. I want a corrugated roof though with a Watneys advert on it mind.
Oh if we're keeping it real, I'll plump for replacing the north with a tin pot lego stand and a supermarket.

(Not really)

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
The Amex is good as it is.
I guess there is a possibility of extra seating that can put in at a later date.
But we do not want to be one of those clubs that are seen to be bigger than they actually are.
(Cough Cough) Leeds (Cough Cough) :facepalm:

Should we ever get into the Premier League we are not likely to hold a decent position the result a drop in attendances,look at the empty seats at clubs who are in the relegation area and/or back in the Championship, would hate to see a half empty Amex

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Should we ever get into the Premier League we are not likely to hold a decent position the result a drop in attendances,look at the empty seats at clubs who are in the relegation area and/or back in the Championship, would hate to see a half empty Amex
I don't, for a moment, think that will be true. For a start, we sell a massive amount of season tickets, more than those smaller clubs you mention like Swansea, palace etc. That will always result in higher attendances. If we are promoted, whichever place in the league we are, we will have amazing attendances.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The north stand is too small

Is perhaps the only genuine complaint we can have for the stadium really..6000 seats that end would be great.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We'd probably sell 40k seats in 3 games in the Premier League.
No point expanding just to accommodate a few plastics.

Every other game will be 25-30k.
Nonsense....We get between 25/30k now while doing ok in the championship.We could easily get 35/40k many times in the prem.

Saying that we'll probably float up and down so it's fine as it is :)

You normally attract 30/35% more fans(plastic) when promoted and boro and hull have both increased by 33% this season.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would like to have seen a bigger north stand maybe 34,000 ( with Safe standing ) but you then need to develope a better infrastructure. The cost would be high.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They should turn the Amex into an EXTENDER. Make it bigger on special occasions, like when you extend your dining table at Christmas.

And just like christmas, bring your own patio chairs for Luzzing when the game gets boring. Everone's a winner :thumbsup:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I would like to have seen a bigger north stand maybe 34,000 ( with Safe standing ) but you then need to develope a better infrastructure. The cost would be high.

This is the only criticism I have of the ground. A bigger North Stand at the outset with an overall increase in capacity to, say 35,000, would have been perfect but as you say this would need to be accompanied by improved infrastructure. To change the North Stand now would be incredibly expensive, probably too expensive, so its not going to happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is the only criticism I have of the ground. A bigger North Stand at the outset with an overall increase in capacity to, say 35,000, would have been perfect but as you say this would need to be accompanied by improved infrastructure. To change the North Stand now would be incredibly expensive, probably too expensive, so its not going to happen.
But to improve the rake all the club has to do is dig a hole behind and underneath the stand, then push the front back and down.

Hardly rocket science, is it?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

When the planning permission was given in 2002 and i'm guessing the initial plans were created, i don't think anyone on here thought that 22,000 was too small (awaits bounce of long dead threads), let alone 30,000. After 50+ years of watching the Albion I still can't believe the crowds we are getting week on week.

When the planning permission was given in 2002 and i'm guessing the initial plans were created, i don't think anyone on here thought that 22,000 was too small (awaits bounce of long dead threads), let alone 30,000. After 50+ years of watching the Albion I still can't believe the crowds we are getting week on week.

Cant think many who watched Brighton v Rochdale in the third tier with a gate in excess 34,000 would not think top tier football in a modern stadium could not attract around 40k for the better games!

During the 76/77 season when football was a dirty word we had 10 games in excess of 22k? division 3 promotion season:rolleyes:

Last edited:

I'm no expert. I've also read that it's near impossible to change the roof of the stadium as it forms a fundamental part of its structural integrity.

However, if the office space behind/above the north was sacrificed, and maybe the TV and police/control boxes moved then I would have thought an expanded North stand, though still on one, larger tier would be possible.

There is an argument about the suitability of the concourse to cater for a larger crowd and with recent moans about queues for catering and the loo's this is valid. But you only need to see the likes of QPR, Watford and others to realise the space on our concourses could still be safe and legal, if a little more cramped at the peak flow times.

This could be mitigated to some degree by providing more eating areas and toilets outside the ground. Also, dare I say a smoking area outside the north stand which is accessible at half time would remove a significant number of punters from the concourse when it's at it's busiest. Seems to work well and is valued by many fans at other grounds.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Cant think many who watched Brighton v Rochdale in the third tier with a gate in excess 34,000 would not think top tier football in a modern stadium could not attract around 40k for the better games!

During the 76/77 season when football was a dirty word we had 10 games in excess of 22k? division 3 promotion season:rolleyes:

So because we got 34,000 for one game 40 years ago the Amex is too small ?

76/77 would be the season we averaged under 20,000, I'm not sure that withdean nos are meaningful, and our first ever season in the top division only averaged us just over 24,500.

Since the Amex has been increased to 30K, we have NEVER had a higher average attendance :rolleyes::rolleyes::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports