Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is swearing going out of fashion?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Stephen Fry swears a lot, and a lot of people think he is very literate and intelligent :shrug:

“Swearing is a really important part of one’s life. It would be impossible to imagine going through life without swearing, and without enjoying swearing. There used to be mad, silly, prissy people who used to say swearing was a sign of a poor vocabulary. It is such utter nonsense. The people I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies, and the kind of person who says swearing is a sign of a poor vocabulary usually have a poor vocabulary themselves. The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just a ****ing lunatic. I haven’t met anybody who’s truly shocked at swearing… really. They’re only shocked on behalf of other people. Well, you know, that’s preposterous. Or they say, “It’s not necessary,” as if that should stop one doing it. It’s not necessary to have coloured socks, it’s not necessary for this cushion to be here, but is anyone going to write in and say, “I was shocked to see that cushion there, it really wasn’t necessary”? No. Things not being necessary is what makes life interesting. The little extras in life.” — Stephen Fry

I think the underlined in the above makes a very good point. I did say in my earlier post that my comfort level when conversing with someone who is swearing heavily falls even lower when the conversation can be overheard.

When I've heard SF swear it has not been a constant string of expletives but rather carefully placed, (planned???), word bombs. To expand on his analogy of the cushions if there were so many cushions that it was impossible to sit in the armchair they were on then, not only would they be 'not necessary' but they would also be an obstruction to the enjoyment of the armchair.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I tend not to swear, but can see why it is done in certain circumstances.
I don't like it and think it not necessary.
It's a personal thing, if you don't like people who swear, then don't hang around with them.
It's not impressive and when I hear girls/women swearing like troopers it sounds so awful and I put as much distance between us as I can.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Fup off, you fuppin' baxter!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It certainly seems the fashion in recently produced TV dramas to throw in a C or an F word now and then - the last episode of Wolf Hall for example, or those dramatisations of the Ken Follet books. Perhaps this is just to wake everyone up?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[yt]RXTouG6eS3c[/yt]

Someone posted this up the other day, and I thought it was BRILLIANT.

It goes to prove that swearing is big. And clever.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Rife in financial services........along with a lack of literacy and poor education [emoji3]

Try Financial Services IT, In Ireland. I worked on a site in Dublin for three months where everyone used the C word as punctuation.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As an accountant I have to deal with HM Revenue & Customs in a daily basis. It is therefore impossible NOT to swear at work.

I actually think it is a good stress reliever.

“Swearing is a really important part of one’s life. It would be impossible to imagine going through life without swearing, and without enjoying swearing. There used to be mad, silly, prissy people who used to say swearing was a sign of a poor vocabulary. It is such utter nonsense. The people I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies, and the kind of person who says swearing is a sign of a poor vocabulary usually have a poor vocabulary themselves. The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just a ****ing lunatic. I haven’t met anybody who’s truly shocked at swearing… really. They’re only shocked on behalf of other people. Well, you know, that’s preposterous. Or they say, “It’s not necessary,” as if that should stop one doing it. It’s not necessary to have coloured socks, it’s not necessary for this cushion to be here, but is anyone going to write in and say, “I was shocked to see that cushion there, it really wasn’t necessary”? No. Things not being necessary is what makes life interesting. The little extras in life.” — Stephen Fry

I think the underlined in the above makes a very good point. I did say in my earlier post that my comfort level when conversing with someone who is swearing heavily falls even lower when the conversation can be overheard.

When I've heard SF swear it has not been a constant string of expletives but rather carefully placed, (planned???), word bombs. To expand on his analogy of the cushions if there were so many cushions that it was impossible to sit in the armchair they were on then, not only would they be 'not necessary' but they would also be an obstruction to the enjoyment of the armchair.

I think this is what you mean. Oh and for the sensitive types...this contains naughty words!

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Swearing just shows a lack of literacy as a result of a poor education. As for being fashionable? Maybe in Chav culture, failing that I really don't know.

Rubbish

I know thousands of words but I still prefer ' f***off ' to ' go away '!

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
I hardly ever swear except at the football. Oddly enough, I haven't been swearing as much this season :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here